PDA

View Full Version : Range trip with 'first cast' from two new molds

SgtDog0311
01-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Took a break from moving households and got to take out the ‘first cast’ from two molds the other day.

Actually been sneaking in bits here and there, elsewise there'd been no range trip.

The LBT 45 mold came from a gent on Cast Boolits and the RCBS 35-200 was delivered in the mail two days previous.

Since my garage contents are in a 10x10 storage unit just now, Green Lizzard even let me bring my pot over and coached me through some good looking products in his garage.

The range had a brisk crosswind but targets only at 50 yards – although I did have to pause for a lull at times. Best weather in weeks here in Oklahoma.

The 45 Colt 'definitly needs some trigger work & the marbles tang sight needs help from the front sight since 'adjusted for windage' the tange makes contact with the cycled bolt.

Had an old weaver on the 1955 35REM so left it on and glad I did.

Tried out 8 and seven loads respectively. And doubled the target since differences in hole size was distinguishable. Shot each target/load in round-robin fashion, advancing to the next target with each shot moving up the charge selection – then back to the beginning and repeat across eight targets for five iterations, then next caliber, same targets.

First pic is all targets (including a coupld sight-in). Also posted the best pic from of caliber each along with the culprits. 35 has five round in to holes and 45 was under and inch.)

Such and enjoyable day I had to share... (posted on MO too) now I better get back to work boxing up stuff.

SgtDog0311
01-20-2013, 12:52 PM
Forgot a pic of the "odd couple"

Green Lizzard
01-20-2013, 06:58 PM
dont know which i like better the groups or that work bench

seagiant
01-20-2013, 09:04 PM
Hi,
Nice looking boolits! That RCBS 35-200 kills deer like the plague!

SgtDog0311
01-20-2013, 11:33 PM
Green Lizzard, You got to come over to the house once I get situated. You'd see how bad off I really am. Still, nothing as convenient as your place. That's what I'll aspire to!

Seagiant, use those handles and that mold much? Looks like you got your enjoyment out of em for sure.

Ironduke
01-22-2013, 02:41 PM
I like that 45 Colt boolit. What's the weight on that? I dig the wide meplat. A weight of around 275 -300 gr would be awesome for me.

SgtDog0311
01-24-2013, 10:49 PM
I like that 45 Colt boolit. What's the weight on that? I dig the wide meplat. A weight of around 275 -300 gr would be awesome for me.

Ironduke, I really like the looks too. I think it weighed out at 308gr once it wore the GC and lube. The left target was representative of my worst group and the right target was my best group. I worked within a very narrow range since I was crawling up the ladder in .01 increments. It'll be fun to work with.