PDA

View Full Version : Ixquick search engine

perotter
01-20-2013, 12:03 PM
I recently found a different web search engine that IMO we should use instead of Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc. It is Ixquick. It doesn't track you and has other privacy tools built in.

And it DOESN'T support gun control. In fact the one in charge of pr is a known supporter of members of Second Amendment Sisters. Study up on this company and the people who work for them.

https://www.ixquick.com/

I have no money interest, personal skin,etc in this company. I just think we shouldn't enrich those that are against us. You may want to consider using them.

jhickdog
01-20-2013, 12:12 PM
It does not support Chrome, should you have that.

perotter
01-20-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't or won't have Chrome. And would advise against having it. I currently use Foxfire, but may change that.

waksupi
01-20-2013, 01:35 PM
I've been using it for awhile. Seems pretty good. I only use it on Firefox, as I don't like Chrome.

square butte
01-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I've been using Startpage for a couple of years now. It's supposed to be the most private search engine. Had not heard of Ixquick

perotter
01-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Startpage and Ixquick are the same company. I don't know what is all different between the 2 or which is better to use.

Sergeant Earthworm
01-20-2013, 06:35 PM
It may be a moot point. I read recently that the NSA performs about 1 Billion web/email searches per day, recording the results for who knows what purpose.

montana_charlie
01-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I have been trying out Duck Duck Go, a search engine that doesn't keep tracking information.
It is easy to use, but doesn't seem to have the 'power' of Google.

CM

Czech_too
01-20-2013, 07:18 PM
I read about DuckDuckGo in one of the local rags, been using it since. No tracking, don't know if it's politicly correct. Something else to look at is Ghostery, some sort of an add blocker.

uscra112
01-20-2013, 07:35 PM
Firefox is by far the best browser choice, even if it's not inherently as secure as Tor.

Ghostery is a tracker blocker. Never ceases to amaze me how many of those little widgets some sites (especially Main Scream Media and "shopping" sites) try to stuff into your computer when you click in. I've seen as many as 22 separate bugs from just one site.

Also run Adblock Plus, which stops off all those "belly fat" ads and popups.

Also run Better Privacy, which kills a type of "super-cookie" that other blockers don't get.

Also run Flashblock, which stops some of the snoopers that use Macromedia objects.

I ran Google Sharing for a long time. It routes all data that Google demands through a proxy server so it can't be tied back to you. Ixquick andn DuckDuckGo to the same thing for searches, but not for URLs that you select directly off your Favorites.

BTW if you haven't done so, IT managers everywhere are recommending that you disable JAVA on your machine. There's a nasty around that exploits a bug in JAVA to do denial-of-service swarm attacks on web sites.

No expert, me, I'm just doing what my old IT manager recommended.

perotter
01-21-2013, 12:54 PM
I have been using the DuckDuckgo one. Seems that Ixquick is faster. I've been using Ghostly for a while and also amazed how much tracking goes on.

Beau Cassidy
01-21-2013, 09:02 PM
I use dogpile myself. Don't know how it compares to the others lifted but so far so good.

Gar
01-25-2013, 10:07 AM
Just a heads for those you are using Ixquick, they do not filter known spam ISP from their result listings. Be carefull and check the web address before clicking on any listed search results.

lavenatti
01-25-2013, 12:30 PM
Ditto on Dogpile.

Been using it for years. I am a little annoyed that ads now appear as the first and last few items on the page but I guess they gotta pay their bills.