PDA

View Full Version : 35 Rem bullet depth

jkoper
01-20-2013, 06:27 AM
I recently made a mold for my 336 RC 35 Rem. I tried to keep a lot of frontal area with a large meplat because I want it for a hunting round, but due to the marlin having no throat I have to seat the bullet deeply in the case in order to chamber. I end up with a OAL of 2.210 with the base of the bullet about .150 below the neck. Is this workable or should I scrap the mold and make over with a smaller nose diameter. To give some background on me I am a tool and die maker so making a new mold is not a problem, but have only ever cast and reloaded for 357. Rifles are a new game to me, and I am not sure what I can get away with. Any insight will be appreciated, I have spent hours scouring this site and am amazed at the knowledge some of you posses.

Thanks

Jim

Blammer
01-20-2013, 10:09 AM
Welcome! Having the base of the boolit below the neck is not a bad thing and should not hurt anything. I would shoot it and see how it does.

I sure would like to see some pictures of your mould and the boolit you cast.

Lefty SRH
01-20-2013, 10:23 AM
YES what Blammer said. I'm a BIG fan of the 35 Remmy and I'd like to see the mold, casted boolit, and the laoded cartridge you put together.

cbrick
01-20-2013, 10:49 AM
I load many rifle boolits with the check below the neck and it works well, Yes, I've heard all my life that this is a no-no but there are lot's of old wives tales floating around. What I do though is make sure that none of the lube grooves are below the neck.

I'm unclear on "the Marlin having NO throat" but if it truly has no throat a proper throating reamer can fix that in short order. I have a Winnie 94 that literally "had no throat", was never cut into the barrel at the factory which is probably how I got a really nice 1960's 94 at such a great price, previous owners couldn't get it to shoot. Sure shoots now though.

Rick

jkoper
01-20-2013, 10:52 AM
here is a picture of the mold and bullets59002

Tom Myers
01-20-2013, 10:57 AM
I recently made a mold for my 336 RC 35 Rem. I tried to keep a lot of frontal area with a large meplat because I want it for a hunting round, but due to the marlin having no throat I have to seat the bullet deeply in the case in order to chamber. I end up with a OAL of 2.210 with the base of the bullet about .150 below the neck. Is this workable or should I scrap the mold and make over with a smaller nose diameter. To give some background on me I am a tool and die maker so making a new mold is not a problem, but have only ever cast and reloaded for 357. Rifles are a new game to me, and I am not sure what I can get away with. Any insight will be appreciated, I have spent hours scouring this site and am amazed at the knowledge some of you posses. Thanks Jim

Jim,

This design for the no-throat Marlin 35 Rem 336C has worked quite well. The mold is no longer being offered and is a tumble lube design but, if you wish, the design could easily be adapted to a grease groove application while maintaining the wide meplate profile that is seemes to work well with the Marlins.

Hope this helps.

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/35%20Rem/TLC359-190-RF_190_gr_Sketch.png

http://www.tmtpages.com/LinkSkyImages/forum_images/35%20Rem/35_Rem~Marlin_336SC~~TLC359.png

jkoper
01-20-2013, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the replies, Tom the drawings help a lot thank you very much. I think I'm going to try and get these to shoot and if they wont I remake the mold to those specs.

Jim