PDA

View Full Version : My day

Idaho Mule
01-19-2013, 11:58 PM
Guys I am just a hick from Idaho, but here is my day, 1-19-13. Neighbor lady old widow had a sewer pipe that needed dug up and fixed, I ran my back-hoe over and dug it up. Her son and another man did the "fixin'". When I got back home at about noon, had lunch, fired up the stove in the shop and cast 120 each of rcbs 270 saa and Lyman 429421. Was called on to go down to the arena and push steers thru for the local goat-ropers and did that. Got kicked a couple times but other than that it was ok. Just a day in my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. JW

TCLouis
01-20-2013, 12:18 AM
Sure does beat life in one of the God forsaken big cities.

You are a rich man because of it!

smoked turkey
01-20-2013, 12:20 AM
JW, yes it sounds like you had a blast today. I agree it beats pounding the pavement in a town looking for something to do.

DIRT Farmer
01-20-2013, 12:25 AM
I can beat that, I took the day off. I was duck hunting at shooting time with my buddy till eleven am, got a limit of mallards, came home fed the cattle, helped my brother feed his hogs as he is slowed up for a few days, went out and checked on another buddy who was out on a backhoe job to see if he needed any help, he was good. Checked the oil field, fixed a leak, had enough time to head back out and try for a goose in the afternoon.
It sure is great to get a day off now and again.

fcvan
01-20-2013, 01:01 AM
Here I was thinking once the OP dug up the pipe it turned out to be a large lead pipe and he scored 200+ pounds or some such thing. Still sounds like a good day in the life though. Thanks for sharing.

WILCO
01-20-2013, 08:10 AM
Sounds like a good day. Would've like to hear of a lead pipe ending though......

Echo
01-20-2013, 11:03 AM
I love this forum!

375supermag
01-20-2013, 11:33 AM
Hi...

Saturday was a day off for me also.

My son and I went out for breakfast and then went squirrel hunting for a few hours. No animals were harmed...unfortunately, but that is why they call it hunting.

Scrounged for brass at a public range for a few minutes...everybody is picking up there brass these days, it seems. Only found a handful of .40S&W cases...I don't have a .40, so I left it on the bench for somebody who could use it.

Went home and took showers and went on a multi-county tour of the local gunshops. Bought some primers(LP and LP magnum[1500 total]) and powder(1Lb of 2400)...need to stock up as I am gearing up for the upcoming spring/summer shooting season. Nobody has any Unique in less than a 4lb jug...guess I'll pick up a jug next week if nobody gets any 1lb containers in. I pretty much blew through my weekly discretionary income for the week, so I won't be able to stock up any further until next weekend. I am at right about 5000 various primers and about 12 lbs of various powders, so I really need to build up my supplies. I do have about 5000 various primed cases ready for reloading, so I just need to re-build my safety stocks of primers and pad the powder inventory. My cast bullet inventory is in good shape...jacketed supplies are reaching the point where I am going to need to help out Hornady's bottom line in the near future.

Stopped at a restaurant for roast beef sandwiches for dinner and still made it home by 7:00PM.

Spent the balance of the evening reading up on Promo and Red Dot powders to help me decide if I needed to try these two powders in my handgun loads while my son played computer games online.

Spent an hour or so discussing our Sunday plans with my wife when she came home from work around 11:00PM and then off to bed.

Good day!

runfiverun
01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
there's a reason red-dot has been around for a hundred sumthin years..

9.3X62AL
01-20-2013, 03:12 PM
Red Dot can be really good stuff for standard velocity handgun loading, no two ways about it.

I wasn't as enterprising as some of you guys yesterday; I got the fired brass from the last couple shooting sessions tumbled and seperated, with only the 45-70 still doing the "barrel roll" as I type this. I also pulled the wheels from the F-150 to do a brake pad check, since I was getting a little squeaking every so often when the brakes are applied. With 54K miles, and almost entirely freeway driving, I was pretty sure that all was well--but I've done a lot of boat towing, and the extra weight could have accellerated wear. No, sir--there was 70% of pad left on the left front, and at least that much on the other 3 spots.

While on the subject of wheels and tires, another pet peeve of mine came to the fore while engaged in the brake bit. I don't own an impact wrench, and don't do enough wheel and brake work to justify the outlay for a bigger compressor and the air tools. I don't know who the Susanville Mongo was that leaned on the lug nuts so ridiculously hard with the air tools, but I'm no weakling, and I couldn't move those lug nuts with a star wrench--I had to use a breaker bar and socket on every one of them. On re-attachment, I set the torque to the PROPER value (100 ft/lbs), so that if I'm changing a tire solo in a downpour or snowstorm I'll be better able to take effect with hand tools. WHO TRAINS THESE KNUCKLEHEADS??

blackthorn
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Just hope the idiot that tightened them didn't strech the studs so they snap off! Had that happen to me once when I bought tires from a big box store.

Houndog
01-20-2013, 09:15 PM
Guys I am just a hick from Idaho, but here is my day, 1-19-13. Neighbor lady old widow had a sewer pipe that needed dug up and fixed, I ran my back-hoe over and dug it up. Her son and another man did the "fixin'". When I got back home at about noon, had lunch, fired up the stove in the shop and cast 120 each of rcbs 270 saa and Lyman 429421. Was called on to go down to the arena and push steers thru for the local goat-ropers and did that. Got kicked a couple times but other than that it was ok. Just a day in my life and I wouldn't trade it for anything. JW

Yessir,
Your day sounds like a typical day most places in rural America! Us "hicks" still help our neighbors when needed and MOST times payment comes as a simple THANK YOU and a promise to help you when needed. More times than not it's a promise kept! That's something the "city folk" will NEVER understand and we are far richer for it.

oneokie
01-20-2013, 09:24 PM
WHO TRAINS THESE KNUCKLEHEADS??

Lawsuit avoidance bean counters.

Idaho Mule
01-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Houndog, yessir, payment came as a big thanks and that's all I want. Here is some pics from yesterday and today. Wife took pics and is now yellIN'!!! at me about my grammar.
RCBS 45-270-SAA
Lyman 429421
boolits & a spur
more boolits; same spur
Casting away
Cooling
Close up

Idaho Mule
01-20-2013, 11:37 PM
Wife finally let me have her computer back. I put the (well she did it) spur pic up there for guys I thought would like it. 429421 Cowboy, Waksupi, DirtFarmer, and a whole lot of others out there too. We all live a pretty good life here thanks to the veterans. Thanks guys. JW

TCLouis
01-21-2013, 12:16 AM
It is the Good life you are a livin.

xs11jack
01-21-2013, 01:42 AM
9.3X62AL, a bit ago I got a good deal on tires for the truck that were on sale. I got home and decided to check the brake pads and couldn't move the lugnuts even with a 2 foot johnson bar. I drove back to the shop and asked for the store manager. Asked to either reset my lugnuts to 82 lbs or give me his home phone number so I could call him personally if I got a flat tire. I said I would call him even if I was visiting relatives 700 miles away in New Orleans. He put my truck in the bay and personally torqued the lugnuts to the right number and even smiled at me and said "Have a nice day" when I left.
Jack