PDA

View Full Version : Lead Cloth

mike3132
07-13-2007, 01:00 PM
I just purchased and cleaned my gun with it. Boy does this stuff work! In a clean barrel i ran it up and down a few times and it comes out black. Is this powder fouling that was left? It took the powder rings off the cylinder with easy. How does this stuff remove lead? mike

monadnock#5
07-13-2007, 01:55 PM
http://www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.htm#Lead

The link above provides recipes for various firearm cleaning concoctions. It appears that the active ingredient in the lead removal cloth is 400 grit aluminum oxide.

KCSO
07-13-2007, 03:08 PM
The amonium chloride isn't real good for plated finishes either.

mike3132
07-13-2007, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the link! Lot of useful info. mike

44man
07-13-2007, 07:21 PM
The stuff is slightly abrasive and the black you see is steel. Doesn't hurt anything unless you use it all the time and get aggressive with it.

Mohillbilly
07-15-2007, 06:26 AM
I have, and do use the lead-clean gun cloth made by Pro-shot products.It cleans very well on stainless and puts quite a shine on them. When I started use'n them( last week) it was amaze'n how much it did to already "clean guns".The shine on them is not quite as good as "flitz" but I like it. The oil/wax residue does fog about an hour or so later,(like a car wax job) and a light wipe makes the guns look nice.I do scrub the cyl. mouths and it will remove most, if not all the lead/carbon. The product does warn NOT to use on blue or case hardened surfaces,and I belive them.