PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with this loaded, plugged case?

sthwestvictoria
01-19-2013, 08:09 AM
Tonight I was loading up some 30-30 loads. Lee C309-150-FP with GC (aluminium) over 8.0grains of ADI's AP70N shotgun powder (hodgdons Universal is the same product).

I ruined two of the first loads because I had forgotten to bell the case mouth and the case mouth dug into the projectile. Luckily I only ruined two before realising. Unsually I just to pull cast loads I run the loaded case up in the shell holder with no die in place and use some pliers to hold the boolit while loading the ram.

Tonight the projectile popped out cleanly, leaving behind the GC in the case neck:

So I have two primed, loaded (8.0grains of AP70N) cases with an aluminium GC plugging the neck.
What would you do?
- push GC down into case, empty powder, case in vice, cook off primer with blowtorch, crush case. Main plain - safe, only losing two cases.
- fire them off in rifle (1963 Win 1894) is no different to usual firing except GC would not be orientated in bore or lubed

Any other safe ideas?

Alchemist
01-19-2013, 08:29 AM
I would see if I could tip the check sideways by pushing one side down, then pull it out with needlenose pliers. If it's too tight to do that, you should be able to use a sharp self tapping sheet metal screw and a battery powered drill to drive the screw in part way, then pull it your other way using the press ram.

I would avoid trying to fire them without a proper projectile...the check may end up lodged in the bore, a stickier problem than you have now.

Please report back and tell us how you fix it.

Good luck, mate.

Sasquatch-1
01-19-2013, 08:36 AM
Alchemist had a good idea with the screw. I would just try a 2" to 3" sheetrock screw. Give a better working length.

sthwestvictoria
01-19-2013, 08:41 AM
I would see if I could tip the check sideways by pushing one side down, then pull it out with needlenose pliers. If

Good luck, mate.

I tried to tilt the GC but pushed it down into the case. This did allow me to get rid of the powder. However even with my pointiest pliers I was unable to grasp the GC. I'll cook off the primer (with some folded cotton across the case mouth in case the GC exits) and crush the case. The loss of $AUD0.60 per case I can live with, damaging my bore (or me) I cannot.

44man
01-19-2013, 09:41 AM
Need a pair of forceps! Easy to remove the check once it is gripped. Then just size and load again.

Wayne Smith
01-19-2013, 09:42 AM
If you cook off the primer and the GC exits don't crush the case! It did nothing wrong!

ukrifleman
01-19-2013, 10:01 AM
Just make sure that you are wearing eye prtection when you cook off the primer, they can often become a projectile when there is nothing to hold them into the pocket.
ukrifleman.

egg250
01-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Use easy pressure, drill a small hole and get a screw into the gas check then pull it out. If the gas check gets pushed into the case, use forceps or thin needle nose pliers to remove it.

BCB
01-19-2013, 10:33 AM
I've shot them right out the barrel--never a problem...

It most likely will be a dirty mess in the bore as some of the powder won't burn but that can be removed easily with a cleaning rod...

If the check sticks, it will push out easily too with a cleaning rod...

Just my thoughts...

Good-luck...BCB

NSP64
01-19-2013, 10:34 AM
tweezers or forceps work for me

Willbird
01-19-2013, 10:36 AM
You could fill the neck with shot, then cap with another gas check to give it some projectile weight, then fire, people used to make pistol shot loads that way.

Blammer
01-19-2013, 10:39 AM
needle nose pliers work for me.

cbrick
01-19-2013, 10:59 AM
I've done that a time or two. Ok, a few times but needle nose pliers have always worked for me. Just tilt one side and then grab the other side with the pliers. If the check goes into the case past the neck just hold the case upside down so it's at the neck and grab the check. Well, your down under so hold the case down side up & grab the check. :mrgreen:

Rick

koehn,jim
01-19-2013, 11:03 AM
Small section of welding rod bent at the end, push on one side of the check. Pull out with the wire, I usually cant get forceps in the case.

hicard
01-19-2013, 11:04 AM
An ice pick works for me as well as forceps.

popper
01-19-2013, 11:39 AM
cbrick's method works great for bottleneck cases. You need the long nosed forceps.

BCB
01-19-2013, 11:53 AM
You guys must have smaller needle-nosed pliers than I have--Craftsman...

I can't get them into a 30-30 case far enough to get a gascheck out. At least not if the check is near the bottom of the neck...

By the time they are to the check area, the tips of the pliers are closed...

Again, I let the primer do the work. I've shot them in my garage already at a wood pile--safety glasses are required though...

Good-luck...BCB

FLINTNFIRE
01-19-2013, 01:10 PM
I go with the forceps , great to have around for a multitude of reasons and uses

beagle
01-19-2013, 01:22 PM
Slightly crush the case neck to give an oval shape. The GC should be able to drop out. Resize and you're back in business. Pulled .223 cases are notorious for this and I've done many that way./beagle

deltaenterprizes
01-19-2013, 01:28 PM
Hemostats worked for me when I had some like that to do.

brstevns
01-19-2013, 01:34 PM
I have use a crochet hook to get them out of cases

1bluehorse
01-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Thought thats what impact bullet pullers were for in the first place....[smilie=1:

runfiverun
01-19-2013, 02:27 PM
if you turn the case upside down.
the gas check comes to the neck of the case.
you can grab it and pull it out from there.

jonk
01-19-2013, 02:54 PM
Either shoot it out, or run an 8mm expander into the neck, dump it out, and resize.

paul edward
01-19-2013, 08:36 PM
Expand the neck in an 8mm die. The GC should fall out. Full length size the case and keep using it.

Invest in an inertia bullet puller.

Dennis Eugene
01-19-2013, 09:11 PM
Let us know how it comes out.(pun intended) Dennis

prs
01-19-2013, 09:26 PM
Hemostats will get it out. Just turn the case upside down to get check at bottom of mouth and lock on the hemostats to pull out. If you fish, these things are great to get those swallowed hooks out of the fish. RadioShack and Amazon and most tackle sellers have them.

prs

MtGun44
01-19-2013, 09:55 PM
Why wouldn't you just put the boolit back in and fire it?

Bill

cbrick
01-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Why wouldn't you just put the boolit back in and fire it? Bill

Most all of the time I've done that it was a dummy round (obviously, I did it didn't I :mrgreen:) with no primer or powder being used to set cartridge over all length in the chamber, boolit with a check sticks in the rifling and pulls when opening the action. Then I get say . . . Ah sh*t, I did it AGAIN.

Rick

MT Gianni
01-19-2013, 11:09 PM
You guys must have smaller needle-nosed pliers than I have--Craftsman...

I can't get them into a 30-30 case far enough to get a gascheck out. At least not if the check is near the bottom of the neck...

By the time they are to the check area, the tips of the pliers are closed...

Again, I let the primer do the work. I've shot them in my garage already at a wood pile--safety glasses are required though...

Good-luck...BCB
I have a pair of cheap needle nose that I took a grinder too. Thinned the outside down to about 1/4" @ the joint. They don't hold with as much torque as others but that wasn't what I needed them to do.

Pavogrande
01-20-2013, 12:55 AM
Bingo to beagle and BCB --

williamwaco
01-20-2013, 01:00 AM
tweezers or forceps work for me

this works for me.

If necessary use a small screw driver to turn the check sideways.

You can also use pliers to squeeze the neck until it is very slightly oval in shape,
The check will then come out easier. Resizing will correct the oval shape.

DO NOT COOK OFF THE PRIMER.

punch it out gently with your resizing die.

geargnasher
01-20-2013, 01:22 AM
Narrow, long nodleneese or hemostats. You already punched the check into the case and dumped the powder, it only remains to invert the case and grab the sideways primer by the edge and pull it out, no harm done, simply expand the mouth, re-install powder, and seat a boolit.

Gear

sthwestvictoria
01-20-2013, 05:18 AM
Got it done.

Found out I didn't have any skinny enough needle nose pliers to get into that long neck of a 30-30. I was able to turn the GC and just a standard set of forceps had enough pull to remove the GC with a slight oval squeeze to the case. I like MT Gianni's idea of grinding down some cheap pliers as a pair for just such an occasion.

I did try the kinetic bullet puller but could not get any movement, perhaps the aluminium GC has too little mass.

Thanks for all the help chaps - the volume of sensible suggestions gladdens the heart.

smokeywolf
01-20-2013, 05:46 AM
Alligator forceps are slicker than calf slobber for situations like this. I've kept a pair like these in my bag of tricks for at least 20 years.
They can be had from Amazon or Fleabay for less than $10.00 including shipping.

smokeywolf

popper
01-20-2013, 02:44 PM
I got my long nose hemostats at Academy in the fly fishing section for $5. All sorts of uses for them.

williamwaco
01-20-2013, 08:25 PM
You can buy all sorts of tweezers and forceps at gun shows for one to two bucks.

They are likely not medical quality but who cares?

Frank V
01-20-2013, 08:44 PM
I would see if I could tip the check sideways by pushing one side down, then pull it out with needlenose pliers. If it's too tight to do that, you should be able to use a sharp self tapping sheet metal screw and a battery powered drill to drive the screw in part way, then pull it your other way using the press ram.

I would avoid trying to fire them without a proper projectile...the check may end up lodged in the bore, a stickier problem than you have now.

Good luck, mate.

I have removed stuck gas checks several times by turning them sideways as described. If that was un-succesful, I'd throw the cases away. In my area .30-30 cases are easy to find at the range.

Sasquatch-1
01-21-2013, 08:37 AM
Have you tried a bent paper clip? Might take a few minutes but could work.

Also, for the forcepts, try a medical supply store if you have one near you. I have several different forcepts that I have used in knot tying that I have picked up at a local store that sells wheelchairs, medical scrubs and all sorts of home health care products. Dental picks are always a good thing to have around also if you run across any.

Twstanley
01-21-2013, 08:46 AM
Inertial pullers will leave the gc behind In a lot of cases, my last resorts is to screw in a
drywall screw and pull them that way.

hanover67
03-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Guess what? I had exactly the same problem today - pulled bullets from .30-30 cases and gas checks stuck in case necks. Luckily I found this thread!

Most checks were just under the crimp, so I was able to push down one side and pull them out with a dental pick I scrounged from my dentist, I knew it would come in handy some day. The others were deeper, at the base of the case neck. When I tried to turn them they dropped further into the case. I poured out the powder and after turning them upside down I was able to fish them out with the dental pick. Mission acomplished. Thanks guys!

SlippShodd
03-17-2013, 11:19 PM
Man, I am so stoopid. I've had a piece of .357 ammo sitting on my bench for months waiting for me to work up the guts to take a bashing for asking how to take care of it. :)
It's a R-P JHP factory round (I think) that I found in the desert and when I tried to disassemble it with the inertial puller, only the lead core came out, leaving the jacket behind and firmly stuck (maybe even lacquered) in the case.
I'm gonna try the drywall screw thingy. Thanks!

mike