PDA

View Full Version : Twisted tails, twist and stuff, short overlap cut, none?

Gtek
01-18-2013, 11:01 PM
I have been reading and absorbing as much as I can before throwing money and time and jumping hard. A question if I may. Has anybody had luck with a very sharp boolit base (nose pour Hoch type) and rolling to match base. I have seen all the cupped and stuffed, twist and cut, twist and trim just shy, but what about to edge. My mind tells me may be more sensitive powder/burn, tougher getting seated safe maybe. I understand and know about undersize and gas cutting, flaring, seating depth exposing base in case, correct neck ID etc. on regular boolit. Or has it been tried and does not work because it does not make short trip from case mouth to gas seal? Anyone been to this barbecue? Thanks, Gtek

303Guy
01-19-2013, 05:00 AM
They might be just fine. I prefer a rounded base edge or a small rebate in an attempt to prevent trailing edge feathering and unevenness on firing. Test tube samples show this idea does work but I have no range evidence to support the concept.

This one I have posted several times. It shows a rounded base edge and a small rebate. It also shows an undamaged base from powder peening which was the object of the test.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/RebatedBase.jpg

The ding on the base edge was caused by the boolit folding back on itself. I pulled the folded over bit away so as to examine the base.

Green Lizzard
01-20-2013, 10:50 PM
seems a bevel base or a gas check shank makes for easer wet twisting

geargnasher
01-21-2013, 02:24 AM
Cut a base wad exactly the same size as the boolit base out of the material used to make the 12-pack soda can boxes, stick it on the base with a speck of boolit lube, and wrap the boolit as normal. Then you can twist, fold, whatever, no matter. I tend to fold anything larger than about .30 caliber myself, it's too tedious to pleat the paper finely enough and gather for the twist on the big boolits, by the time I get it fiddled into a tail the paper is too weak and tears off.

Look here, post #11, middle picture, you can see several recovered base wads with the folded tail still stuck to them in the pile of confetti. These were recovered within about fifteen feet of the muzzle.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?160319-necessity-of-wrapping-the-base

Gear

barrabruce
01-25-2013, 11:21 PM
I've tried wrapping flat bases.
I seem to have issues with the sharp corners.
If you take a bit of paper and flod it over a sharp edge you will tend to get a thicker corner than the rest of the core.
When I sized and or seated I tended to get more troubles with it trying to shear/cut off.
No doubt overs may have succeeded where I tend to fail.

A gc design makes life easy and works for me and others.

Suck it and see. fist before spending more hard earned on something else first.
My 2 cents worth.

Barra