PDA

View Full Version : another lead bullet option for these hoarding days

HARRYMPOPE
01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
With all of the reloading components going through the roof as well as 22RF being hard to get I have found an option to save what I have. I have recently traded for a nice older .177 Diana match air rifle and have set up a 25 and 50 yard range in the back yard. I had originally just used them for 10 meter offhand in the shop in the winter but I decided to stretch the range a bit. I scoped it up with a 15x and at 25 yards ¼” groups are common and at 50 yards ¾” to 1.5” are the norm with some 10 shot strings going a bit 1”.

Coffeecup
01-18-2013, 06:22 PM
Most of my 2012 shooting was (unfortunately) done with my CZ pellet rifle, and a Webley Tempest. I say "unfortunately" because I like shooting "real" guns. . . . I just didn't have time to get to the range most days. On the other hand, I won both of the matches I did have time to enter. I suspect a major part of that was daily practice with the airguns. I can keep my hand in with the airguns (no shortage of pellets at any of the usual suppliers).

HARRYMPOPE
01-18-2013, 07:35 PM
The follow-through to shoot the air guns well is going to help my match shooting I believe. This last week I shot over 500 pellets. At least I can dig them out of the trap and make them into round balls later on.

Coffeecup
01-18-2013, 07:54 PM
I definitely attribute some of my success last year to the follow-through necessary with airguns. I transitioned back to the flinter with no problems. A friend "borrowed" some .490 round balls from me, and asked the source of the lead--he about had kittens when he heard that I had cast them from saved .177" pellets. Forty or fifty of those little pellets a day add up over a year's time!

Gunslinger1911
01-18-2013, 10:05 PM
Ha Ha , I have figured that out also - ranges are 45 min plus away. Long time ago I read about "minisniping" in Guns and Ammo (I think) - managed to find an FWB 300 (think a few decades ago Olympic grade spring piston pellet gun) Soooooo much fun !! Great practice ! 9mm cases at 50 yds are a challenge.

williamwaco
01-18-2013, 10:21 PM
I have one of their match pistols.

It is approaching 40 years old and the seals have failed. It will no longer push the pellet out.

Before it died, It would shoot one hole groups at 30 feet.

randy_68
01-18-2013, 10:36 PM
Good to see some airgun shooters on here. I have been active in hunting with my airguns for several years. I shot over 20 groundhogs with my .177 and .22 air rifles in the last three years., plus a ton of starlings , pigeons and squirrels. In fact, today I had a farmer call me to come shoot some pigeons for him after he found out my friend and me have been doing it for some of his neighbors. We use high power PCP rifles for our hunting, plus they are shrouded so they're quiet.
I have owned everything from a Cummins Tool $20.00 rifle to a custom Rapid well over 2K.
Probably have over 10,000 pellets on hand right now.

melloairman
01-18-2013, 10:48 PM
Well all I shoot now is air rifles . 25 caliber to 45 caliber . No powder, primers or brass to chase . Just lead . Cast all my own bullets . Shoot 400 -500 shots a week and hope to increase that . The BB have the energy of hand guns now . My 45 is far from the most power full out there now but it will do 645 fpe . Easy on the ears . I do have my own compressor and tanks . And the cost of these is about what you speed on reloading equipment . But now that I have invested in them and have way to many molds my shooting is free . The lead I use is range lead I get at no cost . Marvin

303Guy
01-19-2013, 12:30 AM
I have a few 22lr barrels that I want to use for something. The one being an air rifle. How much pressure is needed for one? A workshop air compressor will not drive a pellet into the bore but if the pellet is pushed into the bore first it will shoot it but not very fast.

HARRYMPOPE
01-19-2013, 01:14 AM
Well all I shoot now is air rifles . 25 caliber to 45 caliber . Marvin

I hope i can keep it to 22's and .177's but a nice .25 or 30 .PCP sure is looking interesting.

George

HARRYMPOPE
01-19-2013, 01:17 AM
how about an airgun section?

geargnasher
01-19-2013, 01:32 AM
how about an airgun section?

I felt we had enough categories as it is, but you bring up a good point. We have one for muzzleloaders, why not? Pneumatic boolit launchers are a whole class unto themselves, especially since lots of people cast their own projectiles.

Gear

melloairman
01-19-2013, 11:25 AM
I have a few 22lr barrels that I want to use for something. The one being an air rifle. How much pressure is needed for one? A workshop air compressor will not drive a pellet into the bore but if the pellet is pushed into the bore first it will shoot it but not very fast.
I have ran a couple of .177 down to about 800 psi with a 8 grain pellet . Fps about 800 . Most pcp are 2000 - 4300 psi . Marvin

10 ga
01-19-2013, 11:41 AM
RE... Airgun forum request.......

We have one for muzzleloaders, why not? Pneumatic boolit launchers are a whole class unto themselves, especially since lots of people cast their own projectiles.

Gear

And if the current "Emperor in his own mind" has his way that's the only firearm like device you'll be allowed to own legally. And finding info on air guns is extremly sparse. Even with these compooters. More contacts and info is better than less.

Best to all. 10 ga

randy_68
01-19-2013, 12:20 PM
For airgun info check out the "Yellow Forums"
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

mongoosesnipe
01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
i have and rws Diana 34 .177 which has probably had about 20k shots down the bore i have replaced the main spring and seal in it twice and it has killed 2 scopes in its lifetime and a wide array of small game longest kill was a 75 yard shot on a squirrel they are amazing rifles and well worth the extra money on another note the rws pellets while slightly more expensive are of phenomenal quality

MT Chambers
01-19-2013, 05:39 PM
I have and use a Daystate .22 PCP and fill it from a large air tank which is filled to 4500psi, the gun is filled from that to 230 bar or 3000psi, velocity is around 900fps but accuracy is amazing to 75 yds. so far...Not so many places except fire departments and dive shops can fill to 4500psi, the tank is made of fibreglass because I believe that aluminum can't be filled to that pressure.

HARRYMPOPE
01-19-2013, 06:25 PM
I have and use a Daystate .22 PCP and fill it from a large air tank which is filled to 4500psi, the gun is filled from that to 230 bar or 3000psi, velocity is around 900fps but accuracy is amazing to 75 yds. so far...Not so many places except fire departments and dive shops can fill to 4500psi, the tank is made of fibreglass because I believe that aluminum can't be filled to that pressure.

what bullet are you using and what kind of accuracy do you get?

George

nekshot
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM
I would love to see an airgun section, they shoot lead and it seems more folk are getting into them. I am ready to unload stuff and go air (big bore, deer hunting type guns) but I would like to have better input then alot of the forums i have seen. I guess I trust people on this site quicker than on some others.

Marlin Junky
01-19-2013, 07:03 PM
All I hear about lately when I turn to the news/news commentary channels is gun control "debate".

I think I'm going to buy a 25 cal Crosman Marauder and wait until the dust settles before acquiring another powder burner (.222).

MJ

HARRYMPOPE
01-19-2013, 08:32 PM
All I hear about lately when I turn to the news/news commentary channels is gun control "debate".

I think I'm going to buy a 25 cal Crosman Marauder and wait until the dust settles before acquiring another powder burner (.222).

MJ

Thats what i have been looking at as well.Buy one and give me a report!

melloairman
01-19-2013, 10:59 PM
Since all I have shot for the last 71/2 years is air I would not mind seeing a section here for AR . On another note . All this gun control is going to trickle down to AR before this is over . Marvin

Gunslinger1911
01-19-2013, 11:19 PM
I'll vote for an air gun section !!!

Williamwaco, get some seals and shoot that sucker !!! PyramydAir.com has FWB parts

I blew the seal out of my Webly Tempest (hey, get your mind out of the gutter !!! LOL) had to order new ones from England - shipping was waaaay more than the 2 seals cost !

Also got an IZH (40 maybe ?) pistol - Russian, under lever, looks like a free pistol, before the price tripled, scary accurate !

alamogunr
01-19-2013, 11:56 PM
For airgun info check out the "Yellow Forums"
http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/

I would like to see an air gun section. I've been kicking around buying one for several months. The variety of air guns is mind boggling. The forum referenced above is difficult to follow(I haven't seen that type of forum in years). I get emails from a couple of vendors but the selection is so varied and all are represented as "perfect", I don't know where to start. I trust the members here.

HARRYMPOPE
01-20-2013, 02:29 AM
the "yellow" forum is a limited number membership from what i gather.I would have joined but it required personal information to be a posting member.

Silver Eagle
01-20-2013, 06:59 AM
Big +1 on an airgun section. Have been shooting them for longer than I have shot powder. The technology and ability of some of these arms is downright amazing! They have definitely came a long way since the Red Ryder.
Besides the Yellow Forum on Network 54, Gateway to Airguns (GTA) http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php is another good forum. Pyramyd air also sponsors a Airgun Blog written by Tom Gaylord: http://airgun-academy.pyramydair.com/blog/ . I am a daily reader of his blog. He has some excellent reviews about airguns and also about shooting in general.
There are a few states that they are now legal for hunting (both small game and larger game). Indoor target practice is easy to setup with the right backstop Also, some areas allow outdoor shooting of them in areas that powder burners are not legal.