PDA

View Full Version : Power outage!

Jim
01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
With the snow we had yesterday and last night, several counties in S/W VA suffered a power outage. The house went dark about 8 PM.

We use a kero heater so we don't have to burn so much power heating the house, so that wasn't a problem. And, of course, any 'coon hunter worth his salt has more flashlights that the Sheriff's Office. I got out my Coleman propane lantern and fired it up so Janet didn't have to work with a flashlight. I also set up my propane double burner camp cook stove so Janet could fix breakfast this morning.

The power came back on about noon and everything's fine now. Janet is VERY relieved!

Rick N Bama
01-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Just sent you an email Jim concerning the snow.

Rick

runfiverun
01-18-2013, 01:30 PM
good time to check propane and battery levels since you got it all out.

Olevern
01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
Jim,
I have some excess to my needs snow here in the yard you are welcome to. Just pay the shipping. I figure I could spare as much as a conex container full (maybe more): just send the conex and I will fill 'er up for you.

chrisw
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
least you where not on rt. 8 for 7 hours last night like some fellows I know!

we flickered some but stayed lucky- I've got a tiny generator that will run the kerosene moniter and a backup heater (that usually is my primary garage heater)

I remember back up in Boone, NC at App State- we where a bunch of rednecks with way too many toys. During the 5-7 days a year we where without power we always had cold, hungry girls who loved our "self reliance" skills

Jim
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
..... our "self reliance" skills

I got the generator fired this morning and the camp stove going so Janet could make breakfast. She gave me a big hug and said "I'm so glad you're a redneck!" [smilie=w: :bigsmyl2:

chrisw
01-19-2013, 11:42 PM
I got the generator fired this morning and the camp stove going so Janet could make breakfast. She gave me a big hug and said "I'm so glad you're a redneck!" [smilie=w: :bigsmyl2:

awesome!

I got yelled out of bed myself by a cold cold woman who yelled at me for 2 hours til I fixed her heater. It turns out she didn't know that your supposed to change the filter every other year or so on the 250 gallon tank so it was 8+ years old and plugged LMAO.

I'm not quite sure why it was my fault but I think Freud was right- it is penis envy :twisted:

of course the only thing that could be worse is she reads this!

Down South
01-20-2013, 12:36 AM
Snow? what's that?????
I'm in a T-shirt.

WILCO
01-20-2013, 08:22 AM
She gave me a big hug and said "I'm so glad you're a redneck!" [smilie=w: :bigsmyl2:

Glad to hear of it Jim.

Echo
01-20-2013, 10:59 AM
I've heard of snow, and I believe I've seen it a couple of times, but my memory go shot off in the war - it's white, isn't it?

(Set a record here last Monday (IIRC) of 17 degrees - but no white stuff)

Lloyd Smale
01-20-2013, 04:27 PM
gladly trade flat rate boxes of snow for lead!!!