PDA

View Full Version : flat base boolit w/poly check

nekshot
01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Years ago I read from Paco Kelly that he would use thick poly glued on base of some flat base boolits. If memory serves correct it was the old lyman 280-300 gr boolit for 35 whelen. My question is has anyone done this and must the boolit be kept in the neck for this application and did it lead. I prefer to learn from others before I try something that might produce leading in barrel. I do fire a flat base jacket seated backwards every 20 round of cast like he said he did and I don't have any issues with leading.

runfiverun
01-18-2013, 02:23 PM
if you are thinking of using a plain base boolit with some plastic glued to the base to act as a gas check and pushing it to gas checked velocity's.
you are just gonna have to try it to find out if it will work for you.

theory is one thing.
having them flying off in every direction somewhere between the muzzle and the target is something else.

dverna
01-19-2013, 07:39 PM
nekshot,

There is a sponsor (Pat Marlin moniker on this site) that sells a gas check maker for plain base bullets that uses pop cans for the GC. I have ordered a set for .35 cal for some higher velocity 130 gr .357Mag loads in a rifle and .40 for use in a Glock pistol. These pop can GC's have had some good reviews but I cannot comment as the tooling has not arrived.

I would think plastic will not work all that well and would be a pain to use.

Don

44man
01-20-2013, 03:53 PM
It is also not a gas check, in fact it does nothing because a boolit base does not get damaged even from powder pits. They do not melt so how does plastic that also does not melt aid a boolit?
The GC is to halt skid, nothing more or less and a wad will not do that. They MIGHT seal and help with gas leakage but a boolit alone can do that. A wad is a crutch for a problem that does not exist.
It is like putting a gas check upside down under a boolit. It aids a seal but will not prevent skid. You can still lead the bore.

Harter66
01-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Unless it was used to keep lube out of the powder in prolonged storage.

I will add that a particular IMR4350 load in a 32 Rem (32 Win rimless sort of AI ish) actually shoots faster than its jacketed counter part as a plain based boolit w/o leading and w/reasonable groups.

beagle
01-20-2013, 11:58 PM
I've tried that with a poly check on the .45/70 and also with a thin copper disk glued to the base. Neither worked for me but you may have better results./beagle

45-70 Chevroner
01-21-2013, 10:38 AM
It is also not a gas check, in fact it does nothing because a boolit base does not get damaged even from powder pits. They do not melt so how does plastic that also does not melt aid a boolit?
The GC is to halt skid, nothing more or less and a wad will not do that. They MIGHT seal and help with gas leakage but a boolit alone can do that. A wad is a crutch for a problem that does not exist.
It is like putting a gas check upside down under a boolit. It aids a seal but will not prevent skid. You can still lead the bore.

Hear, hear. Right on 44man.