PDA

View Full Version : Gun Shop Selling Out

smokemjoe
01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Was in a gun store this week, I was the 5 th. in line to check out, never like that before, One fellow bought 2 rifles, others had loading items, No primers, Told me the shooters are cleaning him out and cant get nothing from the warehouses when he is cleaned out why he is out of bussience. Other shops you cant get waited on, gunshows takes 1/2 hr. to get into the door now. Whats it look like in your areas. Joe

badgeredd
01-18-2013, 12:30 PM
Most of the small shops in my area have gone out of business over the last 20 years or so. The Mom and Pop shops that I loved to browse thru and where I did the majority of my business have folded. Some have retired, some have tired of government hassles, and some felt they could no longer compete due to wholesaler stocking problems. There are still a few large shops that are generally over priced and lack the personal touch of the small shops. I'd expect to see more of the same over the next 2 years due to added regulation from the Oh-bummer administration. I try to support a couple small shops that are still afloat, but things aren't looking good for either of them. At one time there were at least 5 good gunsmiths within 35 miles...now to the best of my knowledge, there are 2 so-so smiths available and one parts changer. I'm sure that regulations and general hassles have killed a fair number of businesses in my area.

Edd

Doc_Stihl
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
I was at the gun show in Manchester, NH on Saturday. Show started at 9:00. By 8:30 the line was probably close to 750 people deep. At 12:30 it was a 3.5hr wait to get in the doors and the show closed at 5:00.

The shop down the road that specializes in black/tactical has broken his busiest sales day 4 times in the last month.

It's CRAZY.

You want a really good laugh. Check out what people are bidding .223 dies up on ebay. I see sets people are bidding up to ~$100. Not vendors asking, people bidding!

RayinNH
01-18-2013, 01:43 PM
I went to the show Doc. It took us one hour and forty five minutes to get in. The line snaked through the building, out the door and around the block. When we left at 2:30, the line ended in the same place we got in, around the block. The ones at the end of the line probably figured they'd be first in line the folloowing day...Ray

WILCO
01-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Brisk sales here as of the other day. Heading back to find some IMR4227 and maybe some Reloader 15 and maybe some............

Alstep
01-18-2013, 04:45 PM
Tried to go to a small gun show last Sat, held at a local firehouse. Had to be a quarter mile of cars parked on both sides of the road, the parking lot was full, a field alongside was full, had to be more than 200 people waiting to get in. We turned around and went home. All the local gun shops are sold out of practically everything. And here in NYS, the governor has for all practical purposes, shut down the shooting sports. We now have to get a background check to purchase a box of .22's! Anything with a magazine of more than 7 rounds is an assault rifle. Got a Ruger 10-22, it's illegal. Want to sell your gun to a friend, gotta go through a background check. Have a magazine over 7 rounds, get rid of it out of state or turn them in. I'm in my 70's now, lived in a rural farming area all my life, I'm ready to move out.

41 mag fan
01-18-2013, 04:53 PM
Only going to get worse, till the step of total confiscation is the law. Then there'll be alot of dead people on both sides, the gun owners and confiscators....it'll be a sad day in American history, if not the start of Civil War II

Wayne Smith
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
My brother in Sacramento tells me that the store he works in part time is the only one around with guns. That is because Don (the owner) orders in January for the year - guns and ammo both - to be delivered across the year. Thus there are guns and ammo reserved for him. Good business man.

Love Life
01-18-2013, 04:56 PM
The big box stores are pretty empy around here, but the local shops have guns.

Smaller batches of powder are to be had, but no primers.

Bolt action rifles are selling for cheap. That makes me happy.

Stephen Cohen
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
One has to wonder are your elected officials aware of this, and if so, are they concerned that their gun grab legislation isn't as popular as they think. I would imagine a lot of sales will be going to scalpers, who plan on making a killing in the future, but I would think a lot of those people who are buying the very guns that the gov wants to ban, may not have purchased them had they not been forced to. Sort of defeats the whole show don't you think.

David2011
01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
One LGS has spread what he has left as thin as possible to keep the racks from looking empty. The handgun cases are almost empty. Says he doesn't know when he'll get anything else to sell. He can't get ammo, powder, primers or bullets. Powder on the shelves is spaced way out to fill the space that was once full. He's really concerned about paying the bills down the road because he can't get stock in.

David

quilbilly
01-19-2013, 01:37 AM
Got lucky today as I visited my fishing tackle store customers. I found (bought) four boxes of small rifle primers (first I have seen in two weeks) and picked up a brick of 22's for a friend for $22. My customer who had the 22's told me his wholesaler said they might not be able to get him any more 223's until fall and the store is down to its last case. My friend who will be getting those 22's said the few he saw at last weekend's gun show were selling for $35 a brick.

nhrifle
01-19-2013, 02:28 AM
I frequent a small shop in Bristol, NH and the shelves are as bare as I have ever seen. He still has some primers, plenty of powder, and so on. Rifle rack is kinda sad looking, not an AR to be had. They said they sold out within a week.

My thoughts on the future -- alot more airgun shooting!

starmac
01-19-2013, 02:46 AM
One has to wonder are your elected officials aware of this, and if so, are they concerned that their gun grab legislation isn't as popular as they think. I would imagine a lot of sales will be going to scalpers, who plan on making a killing in the future, but I would think a lot of those people who are buying the very guns that the gov wants to ban, may not have purchased them had they not been forced to. Sort of defeats the whole show don't you think.

You can bet that a lot of elected officials are watching with great interest, at least those that can possibly lose their position. We have too many in areas that it doesn't matter, and they could care less what the rest of the country wants though.

Love Life
01-19-2013, 02:52 AM
I just got back from Wal-Mart and they had a 10/22, 597, and even one of the new savage over/under combos. Several bolt actions for decent prices and some shotguns. About the only ammo they had was 30-06 for $21 a box and some 30-30. I picket up a wrist rocket, and now I need a RB mould to cast some ammo.

uscra112
01-19-2013, 05:48 AM
Went to the Marietta, OH small show coupla weekends ago. Seemed pretty normal. That show is not one full of commodity-grade goods and black rifles, though. More like the old, old days, local collectors trading among themselves. There's another one in Cambridge OH beginning of February, that's more of a commodity show. I'll invest the gas money to go up and make a report. Meanwhile the local Wally World where I grocery-shop is pretty much picked clean in the gun aisle. Not worried for myself as I usually have a years' supply of primers and powder laid by, and several hundred pounds of lead. So long as there isn't a propane famine, I can keep myself in boolits, and therefor in ammo. But the grasshoppers are going to be mighty hungry pretty soon. Don't expect I'll see them down at the range running through 100 rounds an hour like they usually do. Gonna be like WW2 days - guys fabricating their own .22 centerfire bullets out of rimfire cases. Reloading primers using match heads. Learning to make their own black powder for their flintlocks. [smilie=w: