PDA

View Full Version : Cabine Tree Tester , NOE Thermometers, and Hot Plates

Gunor
01-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Cabine Tree Tester - Got mine last night - WOW!

Hot Plate: Another 'Duh' moment. Had trouble getting filled out bullets on my Lee molds (most of mine are Lee - $$). They came out ok. Never seem to get the lead or mold hot enough to even get frosted bullets...

The other night I went and bought a hot plate - put my brand new 6 cavity 40 cal mold on it. The bullets that came out were filled and frosty!

NOE Thermometer - Now I can adjust pot temperature.

Lee 6 Cavity - got a little work to do on getting the bullets to drop.....smoking them or use the Franklin Mold prep I have...

I wish there was a kindergarten level sticky that told people what to do and have on hand - exactly - to make nice cast boolits. At least with a 90% chance of success.

Hot Plate and thermometer - Must haves.

Geoff in Oregon

BTW: I have read the Lee instructions and threads on casting - but back to that kindergarten level comment....

cbrick
01-17-2013, 02:46 PM
This whole site is filled with just such threads & stickies.

Forget the smoke and by all means forget the spray on goop. If there is a problem dropping boolits it is because there is a problem such as tiny burs around the edge of the mold halves from machining the cavities, LEE is famous for this. It's far better to fix the problem rather than using old wives tales in an attempt at covering it up. Use something like a popsicle wood stick and gently rub around the edges of the cavity to remove burs.

Rick

Gunor
01-17-2013, 02:59 PM
That sounds simple - I'll try that.

thanks

runfiverun
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
that and/or a simple spin in the cavity's with some flitz,whitening tooth paste.
even some comet paste.
iv'e taken to just doing this as part of my break in routine.
everyone asks why there is a tube of toothpaste on the shelf behind the casting pot.

Blacksmith
01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
Gunor
Do a search on "Leementing" there are several stickies on the subject in the Classics and Stickies section.