PDA

View Full Version : SWC vs. Wadcutter?

Triggernosis
01-17-2013, 12:35 PM
What's the difference, in application, between a SWC and a Wadcutter?

jmort
01-17-2013, 12:37 PM
I like the largest meplat possible so I will use the wadcutter for everything up to 50 yards and a SWC or LBT style for 50 yard on up. At close range a wadcutter is a beast.

felix
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Nothing, when you get down into it. Use full wadcutters to decrease case volume. Purpose: fast powder usage. ... felix

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
SWC is more aerodynamic than a full wadcutter, yet retains a large meplat (the flat part of the nose), both will punch nice, clean holes in paper for easy scoring in target shooting comps. Wadcutters punch a somewhat cleaner hole but are best used at 25 or fewer yards. Semi-wadcutter's are better at longer ranges and are more suitable for longer distance target shooting, and, again because of the large meplat, also work very well for hunting.

1Shirt
01-17-2013, 01:07 PM
Agree w/Felix. Only difference is distance you are shooting. Most full WC's are good to 25 or so yds, whereas Semi WC's will stretch accuracy/enegry over longer distances. Never had much luck w/WC's at 50, but suppose some do.
1Shirt!

captaint
01-17-2013, 02:01 PM
I use my wadcutters for lower velocity loads, nothing beyond 25 yards. If I want to heat them up a little, then I go to the SWC's, load a different powder to give me more velocity and maybe run them out to 50 yards just for kicks. I haven't done any handgun hunting lately, so I'm really just trying to impress myself. And I do like shooting at the intermediate ranges. If I could still see, I would go on out to 100, but without any sort of optics, I'd just be wasting ammo. enjoy Mike

BruceB
01-17-2013, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE Most full WC's are good to 25 or so yds" -1Shirt![/QUOTE]

Actually, full wadcutters have served admirably on Bullseye ranges for generations, INCLUDING 50-yard slow-fire events. At that distance, the ammunition MUST be capable of grouping well-within the ten-ring, which measures 3.39" Wadcutters met this requirement without difficulty.

In the field, SWCs are definitely the better choice. I have even used SWC designs in my M52 S&W, which is intended ONLY for flush-seated target wadcutters. By deep-seating the bullets, the resulting loads were very effective small-game medicine.....sure looked strange, though! The guns will even feed empty cases, so the oddball rounds worked just fine.

felix
01-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Long live the 52 (of any flavor). ... felix

beagle
01-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Amen on the M52....and the Colt Midrange Match. Wish I had one of each again./beagle

Long live the 52 (of any flavor). ... felix

Triggernosis
01-17-2013, 09:39 PM
I guess one plus for SWC is that they are a little easier to drop into the cylinder holes.

williamwaco
01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
I have good luck with wad cutters at 50 yards. At 100 they are unpredictable. Tend to tumble.
I wouldn't even attempt them beyond that.

After a few sighting shots to get elevation and windage, I ( any experienced hand gunner ) can hit a five gallon bucket four out of six shots at 400 to 500 yards with the .44 magnum and a 240 gr SWC. ( on a still day )

stubshaft
01-17-2013, 10:05 PM
As usual Felix is right on!

Bigslug
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
I guess one plus for SWC is that they are a little easier to drop into the cylinder holes.

Doubly so if you're trying to line up six or more with a speedloader.

R.M.
01-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Many times, the twist rate isn't fast enough for the WC. I re-barreled my Walther GSP 32 wadcutter only with a much faster twist than the 1-16 that was original. Wow, what a difference. I can't remember what the new twist is 8 or 10, but anyway, it's a much better shooting gun at 50 yards.