PDA

View Full Version : Are People Hanging Onto Their Lead

SlowSmokeN
01-16-2013, 11:52 PM
It seemed people were always selling lead around here on S&S. Now it seems you can't find any for sale. I am not looking to buy but wondering if those who sell are hanging on to what they have instead of selling or if supply is just down.

Any thoughts

uscra112
01-17-2013, 08:16 AM
Maybe there's some speculation. But unlike loaded ammunition and factory components, there won't be a huge price rise due to famine, because there won't be a famine. Lead is a pretty common industrial commodity. Ammunition uses far less of it than, say, battery manufacturing. We won't be able to empty the pipeline the way the panic buyers have emptied the shelves at your LGS or Big Box Sporting Goods stores. I reckon the market will normalize pretty soon. Anybody counting on a huge price rise in the near term is going to be disappointed.

on1wheel01
01-17-2013, 11:23 AM
Yea even though lead wheel weights are being fazed out and will eventually be harder to get, I believe lead will hopefully be readily available. I always try to have around 50 lbs or so of ingots around. I at times sell lead projectiles so it's no biggie.

dverna
01-17-2013, 12:14 PM
I stock pile lead.

I used to buy lead shot for under $20/bag. It is now almost double that. I like lead as an investment. It does not need to be fed, it does not rot, it is not sensitive to storage conditions, it is almost theft proof, I can use it to make boolits, I can use it as a trade item either in its ingot state or as boolits, slugs, or buckshot.

My current stock is at around 3500 lbs. My "prize" is 300 lbs of Linotype purchased at $.75/lb.

Frankly, I suspect some (smart?) people are "hoarding" it bit more than in the past with what is going on with the economy and potential SHTF fears. As others have stated, lead will always be around; but it will likely to continue to go up in value due to both reduced supply and the general rise in commodity prices. Also, as the Fed continues to print money, our bank savings will devalue but our lead "savings" are safe.

Love Life
01-17-2013, 12:28 PM
The difference between fiat currency and real money will provide your answer...

mold maker
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
The supply has indeed deminished. As always, I can't pass up an opportunity to add to my stash, and stopped at my tire shop source, and picked up the usual 2-4 lbs, before sombody beat me to it. Several years ago that would have been 12-18 lbs, with no Fe or Zn. :awesome:
Unless your lucky enough to mine a berm, free lead in volume, is a thing of the past. What we used to take for granted will soon be expensive, if available at all. It could even be illegal.
I really feel for those just starting out. Theirs will be a tough pot to fill.:confused:

tomme boy
01-17-2013, 01:52 PM
It's winter. Not many are outside melting. I do mine during the spring.

**oneshot**
01-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Too cold here for outside melting.

OuchHot!
01-17-2013, 03:21 PM
It is conceivable, I suppose that the increase in component prices is making casting more attractive. Battery manufacture often involves calcium and arsenic additions that make mold fillout difficult. Given the increasing scarcity of WW as a source, good alloys may start appreciating some. My fear is the center for biological diversity (an ultra left wing organization) will be successful in getting the epa to regulate lead in boolits. The head of the epa (which to date refused to regulate lead in bullets) has stepped down and the First Scoundrel may find someone more compliant to take ove rthe epa. The condor **** in CA sure screwed hunters and muzzleloaders.

mpmarty
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
I've got a bit more than a ton smelted into ingots and three or four five gallon buckets of clip on weights waiting for summer smelting season. I don't sell or trade off my alloy as I see a day when it will be near impossible to get for any price thanks to our elected officials.

SlowSmokeN
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
It is cold, going to be a high of 35 here today. I guess That is why I have buckets that still need to be smelted.

Remyvtr15
01-17-2013, 04:56 PM
wow.. a ton...3500 lbs.... and I'm pumped by my 1st 250lb score....!!!!

It is like Christmas... 'worthless wheel weights'.... I'm just starting but I am getting this into gear as fast as I can.

runfiverun
01-17-2013, 05:01 PM
35 woo hoo lets go shooting, it's gonna warm up to about 11 today..
even if you buy lead from the foundry you are gonna save money casting your own.
where do you think the commercial guy's get it?
the free/cheap/easy day's are over for the most part, but there are other sources out there.

dverna
01-17-2013, 05:43 PM
Remy

A ton is 2000 lbs.

Anyway, do not overpay for lead, WW, Linotype etc. Just JUMP on a good deal when it comes by. That is the way to do it. Cash is a real good thing to have to make those buys when they come along. I did not get 3500+ lbs overnight.

Look for guys getting out the sport. Look for old trap and skeet shooters who are hanging it up. Even if you have no use for say #9 shot shot you can use it to alloy other metals and as a trade item. Most good shot is too high in Antimony but it can be blended with range lead. For example, years ago I got a bunch of range lead from an indoor range that only allowed .22's and lead pistol bullets.

Good luck

Don

CAVEMTNMAN
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Right now I have approx. 500 lb. of monotype, 500 lb. of linotype. and 600 lb. of WW, and by mixing the three together I should have enough to last me for a couple of years.:-D

Remyvtr15
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
Oui.... there were 2 posts.... one guy stored up 3500 lbs... another guy stored up a ton.... and me, happy with 250lbs. (it was sarcasm):roll:
LOL

and thanks for the other advise! I am a sponge!

Remy

A ton is 2000 lbs.

Anyway, do not overpay for lead, WW, Linotype etc. Just JUMP on a good deal when it comes by. That is the way to do it. Cash is a real good thing to have to make those buys when they come along. I did not get 3500+ lbs overnight.

Look for guys getting out the sport. Look for old trap and skeet shooters who are hanging it up. Even if you have no use for say #9 shot shot you can use it to alloy other metals and as a trade item. Most good shot is too high in Antimony but it can be blended with range lead. For example, years ago I got a bunch of range lead from an indoor range that only allowed .22's and lead pistol bullets.

Good luck

Don

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
"Are People Hanging Onto Their Lead"

It seemed people were always selling lead around here on S&S. Now it seems you can't find any for sale. I am not looking to buy but wondering if those who sell are hanging on to what they have instead of selling or if supply is just down. Any thoughts

I'm not hanging on to my lead, but I ain't sellin' any either.
I'm throwing it down range :mrgreen:
...today, it was 125gr. at a time :Fire:
...two days ago, it was 380gr. at a time :Fire:
Jon

BLTsandwedge
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Last time I saw this question was on the old board. Here's an interesting site:

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

As far as Pb pricing goes, it has been somewhat volatile. That surprises me- I'd have thought there'd be a dip in '08 (there was) and then a steady, slow price increase. My guess- growing pains from the BRICs (Brazil, Russia, India & China).

SlowSmokeN
01-17-2013, 11:45 PM
Swung by the recyclers today to see if there price has changed and shoot the breeze, nope still $1 lb. Still paying .10 for hard lead and .15 for soft lead. They haven't seen much lead lately but there demand is still about the same. No mad rush to to buy it all up.

Went to Sportsman's looking for .22 for the old buckmark and they are still out. People snatching it up and hoarding it, why the heck .22? Can't get primers, or .22 ammo. Sure does make it hard to shoot these days

DennisMcharold
01-21-2013, 03:54 PM
I have 5K stored raw range lead.
100 ingotized range lead.
Lead is scarce here.

jim 44-40
01-21-2013, 06:12 PM
I have enough lead for me and my grandkids, My buddy dropped off a counterweight of pure lead in my yard 3ftx3ft 6in thick,my brother gave me 100yds of underground lead cable,and the local tire shops a bunch of 5gal buckets wheel weight's. Still looking for more too.

Crashbox
01-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I have yet to cast projectile #1 but I have about 360 lbs. or so of Pb/WW plus 40 lbs. of linotype.

The main reason I want to cast is for my .405 Winchesters, they are NOT cheap to continually shoot j******d missiles through. I do have a two-holer 358477 for my .357s if it really gets bad...

Down South
01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
According to my calculations, I have about 7000 lbs. About 4000 is smelted WW, but I've been collecting a while and I never pass up a good deal. Well, some deals I let go by. A lot of my lead came from the days when it was free. I picked up 1200 lbs of pure a while back for.50 but that was the highest price I have paid for lead. Take that back. I paid $1 per lb for 400 lbs of Mono type a couple yrs ago.
I've collected about 50 lbs of tin to mix with it too but I got that at good deals. You just have to watch and sometimes do a little leg work but there are deals out there.

On edit: To answer the original question, I never have sold any of my stash. I've traded some once. Like several have already said. It's cold weather now. A lot of folks clean their lead in warmer weather. It will be the same situation come mid summer. Most won't clean lead due to the heat.

Blammer
01-21-2013, 11:20 PM
worst case scenario, I run another lead GB.....

rodsvet
01-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Blammer, what do you GB on lead? You mean like buying metric tons from India or China? That would be Hell to organize and distribute. Rod

Down South
01-22-2013, 10:52 AM
We have done GB's from foundries in the past. I've still got alloy boxed up from one a couple yrs ago.

Blammer
01-22-2013, 01:16 PM
I have a local foundry, I place an order for about 2 tons, go get it and then ship it out. Medium flat rate boxes with about 60lbs in it.

I get a specific composition, (say 90 5 5 for example), and tell the foundry what ingot form I"d like and they give me a price. I put it out for all to see who wants some. If I get enough interest I do it.

Sheldon
01-22-2013, 02:07 PM
Foundry lead is not $1 a pound shipped I take it??

Taz700
01-31-2013, 02:28 PM
I have a local foundry, I place an order for about 2 tons, go get it and then ship it out. Medium flat rate boxes with about 60lbs in it.

I get a specific composition, (say 90 5 5 for example), and tell the foundry what ingot form I"d like and they give me a price. I put it out for all to see who wants some. If I get enough interest I do it.

Man I'd want in on that deal. I've been doing the 92/6/2 (with great results) although I hear the 90 5 5 is close enough for me.

I have some pure lead I would let go and/or trade. I do some shooting with pure lead (cap and ball, black powder) but most of my hunting rounds, hi velocity rounds are the harder types, so I'm always willing to trade, sell, buy.