PDA

View Full Version : 30-150 TL-PB mold issue

Maven
07-11-2007, 03:39 PM
All, I was looking forward with, great anticipation, to casting with the 30-150TL-PB group buy mold today, but was stopped cold after the first cast. Unlike some of the reports I read concerning this particular mold, mine had no chips in it, no nose deformation, or a problem in closing tightly. Rather, the camming lever snapped off just forward of the ferrule on the handle, and on the first cast no less. Naturally I called Lee and spoke to Pat, who will send me a replacement, which is as it should be. He also said that failure to lubricate the cam was a contributing factor. In this instance, it was more likely my failure to pre-heat the mold as per Lee's instruction sheet combined with a hard alloy that did the deed. Normally I'd fill the cavities a few times to pre-heat it (with the sprue cutter open), but today I neglected to (rectal-cranial inversion?) and paid the price. If that wasn't bad enough, I somehow managed to bump the bottom pour mechanism on my Lee 20lb. pot, draining ~15lb. of molten alloy, but mostly into the ingot mold that I keep under the spout, mostly to capture drips. Btw, the one recognizable, but wrinkled bullet I cast miked .312" at the base band. Other than the camming lever problem, I have no other complaints about the mold thus far. Indeed, it took less than 1 hour to "Leement" it. Anyone want to guess what I'm going to do with that mold the next time I cast with it?

AZ-Stew
07-11-2007, 03:53 PM
I had the same thing happen after an hour or so with one of the GB moulds. The problem was that I didn't make sure that the sprue plate was completely closed befor casting. I had also let the cast cool for a while before I got around to opening the mould. When I pulled on the sprue plate handle and met resistance, I pulled a bit harder, thinking it was just the harder, cooled alloy causing the resistance. Turns out it was the fact that the sprue plate wasn't completely closed and the cam was already at the extent of its travel. Snapped the handle right off.

After that little experience, I made sure that the stud that the sprue plate seats under when completely closed is adequately lubricated and that the sprue plate is completely closed before each pour. No problems since.

Regards,

Stew

Maven
07-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Stew, Now that you mention it, I recall having to make sure the sprue plate was closed on my other group buy mold, which I haven't cast with recently. What I wound up doing was to pull all three handles together as I filled the cavities. If I didn't, the sprue plate "wandered" open. Thanks for reminding me of this!

Paul

Maven
07-14-2007, 07:50 PM
All, I realize that many people have a low opinion of Lee Precision and/or the quality of some of its products (partially deserved), but I have nothing but praise for its customer service and Pat in particular. The camming lever that I broke the other day was replaced and in my hands by 3PM today. You can't complain about that kind of service now can you?

OLPDon
07-14-2007, 10:55 PM
It seems that Lee has a lot of pactice replacing and or repairing,just a thought.
Don

wonderwolf
07-14-2007, 11:17 PM
If the mold itself is somehow flawed that you get from a BG how long does it usually take to get the problem fixed? if its something say dimensional with the cavities or something