PDA

View Full Version : Another "not supposed to be here"!!!

Gussy
07-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Last night I was a little late. Didn't get headed home until near 8pm. I was going up my driveway and as I came to the old orchard (apples, about 130 years old) something caught my eye as it approached the road. Something large.

Up onto the road pops a bull moose!!!! Young one. There aren't supposed to be moose here. I guess no one told him that. I got home (another 250 yds up the drive) and called all the neighbors to alert them. I think everyone was out looking for him.

Over the years I have also seen 2 young big horn rams. Also not supposed to be here, but they do live about 15 miles from me so not such a surprise. Moose, none anywhere around here. There are sightings almost every year of singles or cow/calves moving through. No one has any idea where they are coming from. Nearest I know of are nearly 100 miles away.

To date on my place I have seen: moose, big horn sheep, elk, deer, bear, cougar, bobcats. Most of the small critters: coyote,racoon, skunk, bunnies, porky pines, beaver. Birds: turkey, pheasant, blue grouse, rough grouse, quail, doves, huns. I've probably forgotten some, but I guess this place is wilder than I thought it could be!!
Gus

45nut
07-11-2007, 12:10 PM
not nearly as cool as a moose but I did have a young buck come by the other day despite the new houses that I figured would drive them away.

ktw
07-11-2007, 05:59 PM
We have a modest number of moose here in the UP. There is a tendency for them to get a brainworm parasite from the deer. Once they do they can wander a hell of a long way.

-ktw

Maineboy
07-11-2007, 06:56 PM
When I was a kid, there were very few moose in Maine. I was probably 12-13 before I saw my first one. Now there are way more of the behemoths than deer in the northern half of the state. We never used to see mourning doves and now they're everywhere. There were no turkeys either but now the lower half of the state has excellent hunting for them. We even see a few up here. Times have changed.

Bret4207
07-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I saw a really fat ugly chick dressed in spandex at Wal Mart today.As far as animals go, she was lots uglier than a moose.

Four Fingers of Death
07-11-2007, 07:26 PM
I saw a really fat ugly chick dressed in spandex at Wal Mart today.As far as animals go, she was lots uglier than a moose.

We call cling film 'Glad Wrap' here because that is the main brand available in Australia (and it was the first). I think you guys call it saran wrap I think.

If a lady with a mean pair of jeans walks past we would say, 'Denim Gladwrap.' :D

I guess what you saw was Spandex Sad Wrap.

I think some houses musn't have any mirrors in them.

Mick.

MGySgt
07-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Gussy - you are truly blessed to have that much nature around you. I have to fly halh way across the country every fall to see some of those!

Drew

MT Gianni
07-11-2007, 11:36 PM
Every time I get down about my 3 weeks a month on the road I remember a friend telling me that tourist pay thousands to drive across Montana and they are paying you to. It helps a little, especially just after the antelope have fawned. Gianni

Gussy
07-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I usually see the most in the morning. Either while I'm having coffee or on the drive to town. I live 9 miles out of town and the drive has never gotten old. Always something to see. Sooner or later my rubber necking is going to cause a problem!!!

I have hit several deer but only one caught me totally by surprise. The rest were seen ahead of time but still managed to get under a tire. I have not had more than $500.00 total damage. On the other hand, total cost for my family exceeds $20,000.00 of which my wife leads by quite a bit. All due to deer. One jumped into the side of her Bronco while it was stopped to let the stupid thing cross the road!! Scared the hell out the kids in the back seat!!
Gus

medic44
07-17-2007, 08:34 PM
I've found that deer are suicidal when it comes to cars. They will run across the road 2-3 times and then just as you get in range they jump in front of you. Ran a call on a guy that had a deer run into the side of his motorcycle. His coment was that deer are only god for jerky.

Mallard57
07-17-2007, 10:52 PM
I guess there was a young bull moose spotted in town here the other day, that's a first for Wenatchee as far as I know. There have been a few spotted farther north along the Columbia River though.
Jeff

MT Gianni
07-17-2007, 11:12 PM
Had 2 cow elk come up from the hay field this morning and head toward the interstate. I thought they would cross but they bedded down 150 yards from the freeway and 1/4 mile from town at the head of a gully. They knew enough to leave the hay at first light but didn't want to go too far. Gianni.