PDA

View Full Version : Pan Lubeing

Hippie44
07-27-2005, 12:01 PM
Been using Lee Alox tumble lube looking for something different. It works but it makes a mess of the seating die. I'm to cheap to buy a lubesizer, I like the way the Lee sizer works. What's the pro's and con's of pan lubeing,what lube and how to do? Sorry if this has been talked before couldn't find it.
Thanks Hippie

drinks
07-27-2005, 12:35 PM
44;
I am now using Hornady Unique case lube to lube the bullets before running them through the Lee sizer, takes almost none, just brush a couple of fingers over the cake, and sorta fondle the bullet as you slip the check on.
To lube for shooting , if I do not tumble lube, I use LBT soft blue lube, use a miniature loaf pan, buy your own so the wife will not scream, use a hot plate with heat control, melt enough lube to come up to just below the top groove, keep the lube liquid but not smoking, put the bullets in on the base, wait a few seconds, the bullet will get hot and the lube will climb up the bullet, when you take it out, most of the lube should run off, place it base down on an aluminum pie plate and let it cool.
This works fine for me, I am shoting cast in a .35 Whelen at 2400fps with no leading.
Don

Johnch
07-27-2005, 02:52 PM
When I pan lube
I use a semi soft lube
I put my bullets in a pan (I use a 8 x 8 pan) base down .
I then melt the lube and pore it around the bullets but not on them.
When the lube has hardened I remove them with a cutter
For .452 bullets I use a 45/70 case with no base .
For .357 bullets I use a 06 case with no base that I expanded the mouth to about .365 with a taperd punch .
For 309-314 I use a 8 mauser case
If I plan on sizing them I size them after lubing them

Johnch

lar45
07-27-2005, 03:10 PM
This brings up a thought I've been haveing on hot tumble lubeing.
What if we used a really hard lube, melted, then put the boolits into a screen spoon looking thing to lower them into the hot lube, let them get to temp, then pull out, shake abit and dump onto a cookie sheet.
I"m thinking this would leave a light film of hard lube, but would it still cause seating problems with it being on the nose?

woody1
07-27-2005, 03:25 PM
For pan lubing I've done both as drinks and johnch said. I can't say one is better than the other. lar45, I've used Johnson's Wax as a hot lube using the leftoverdj method. Put the boolits in a small jar and get 'em hot in the sun or on the stove or however. Put in a chunk of j-wax and shake all together. After the wax melts & covers the boolits, dump and cool. Most times I can't even tell there's lube there and I've had no problems with gunking up the seater. FWIW Regards, Woody