PDA

View Full Version : Viscosity of Your Lube ... Anyone Ever Measured It?

John Boy
07-10-2007, 10:57 PM
I asked this over on Shiloh Rifle ... and the real experts are here, so ...
http://shilohrifle.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9172

Blammer
07-10-2007, 11:06 PM
thick as peanutbutter....

felix
07-10-2007, 11:17 PM
Scientifically, no. Practically, yes. One, two, three, where the former is the lowest and three the highest. The more viscosity the lube, and the more of amount of lube to fill all the grooves, the harder the lube has to be to prevent lube buildup. Ideally, the lube should have the viscosity to make an obvious lube star appear after 7 rounds in high noon sunlight. Not more, not less for most instances. This amount of viscosity should provide a day's outing without cleaning the gun while giving continuous accuracy (if leaving the gun in the sun between relays). Now, try finding that viscosity is the 64 dollar question. ... felix

Bass Ackward
07-11-2007, 06:30 AM
Yep. I measure it all the time. Problem is that it changes. It's called temperature.

44man
07-11-2007, 07:29 AM
There you go again, trying to make us think! Won't work, thing between my ears clicked off again.
Actually I do it the easy way because I shoot mostly revolvers or revolver loads in lever guns. If I can pull off some lube from a chunk and squeeze it in the grooves with my fingers, it is good to go. Caliber and velocity with my guns never changes the lube I need. I have it easy. I use Felix with my fingers and Carnauba Red in my sizer. Both shoot the same.

USARO4
07-11-2007, 07:41 AM
Felix you're my hero. You should write a book.

45r
07-11-2007, 04:30 PM
I have been mixing carnuba red with 50-50,2 parts red to 1 part 50-50 and it works well for all my handgun loads and flows just right out of my lubrisizer and doesn't need heat.been getting 1 inch groups at 50 yards with my scoped 41 mag bisley with 3 different boolits.220 saeco,220 lyman, and 210rcbs SWC.All with 7.8 unique and rem 2 and a half primers.I don,t think I could do better with any other lube.The same lube does just as well with my 454 casull also.I've quit trying other lubes after using Lars lube.Its as good as anything I've tried.

44man
07-11-2007, 04:40 PM
45R is a man I can relate to! Shooting good groups at the proper distance. Nice!!!

John Boy
07-11-2007, 10:33 PM
Felix, Like your answer, especially the high noon bit!:drinks:

kodiak1
07-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Felix If you are getting the star befor seven shots at high noon are you to thin then? Using a rifle of course.
If the Bees Wax is liquid and you add Alox or Lanolin as long as your lube is liquid would there me a variance in the viscosity? Maybe one to five points and if that close would you believe it or think you made a mistake?
Is this where yor always changing comes in?
If that is the case then viscosity would be a poor indicater for lube quality batch to batch.

Good Question John Boy
Got myself confused as Hell.
Ken.