PDA

View Full Version : Round balls for slugging bore

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-15-2013, 07:21 PM
I'm not sure where to put this but I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to send me a few round balls of pure lead to slug a few bores. I wouldn't ask but I really don't want to buy to 2 round ball moulds just for this. I need to slug a 1911 and 2 38 special revolvers, so maybe a .500 inch round ball and 2 .375 balls.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me out.

whisler
01-15-2013, 09:32 PM
I have .490 & .440 but no .375. Would those do? If so PM me your address and I will send them.

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
01-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Thank you sir, PM on the way

montana_charlie
01-15-2013, 09:54 PM
I wouldn't ask but I really don't want to buy to 2 round ball moulds just for this. I need to slug a 1911 and 2 38 special revolvers, so maybe a .500 inch round ball and 2 .375 balls.
If you take your calipers to the fishing section of the sporting goods store, you can probably pick up two small bags of egg sinkers (two different sizes) cheaper than the postage for mailing round balls to you.

CM

Muddydogs
01-16-2013, 11:03 AM
One of the best ways to make a slug is to pour pure lead into a fired unsized case with spent primer then use a kinetik bullet puller to pull the lead out. The resulting slug has a tappered end that starts in the barrel nice and square as well as a nice flat end just right for driving the slug through the barrel. a 38 case will work fine but if you have a 357 case the extra length is better. Once done the cases should be thrown away so they are never reloaded due to the heat or marked and saved for future slug making.

WaywardSon
01-16-2013, 11:22 AM
One of the best ways to make a slug is to pour pure lead into a fired unsized case with spent primer then use a kinetik bullet puller to pull the lead out. The resulting slug has a tappered end that starts in the barrel nice and square as well as a nice flat end just right for driving the slug through the barrel. a 38 case will work fine but if you have a 357 case the extra length is better. Once done the cases should be thrown away so they are never reloaded due to the heat or marked and saved for future slug making.

Well........dang. Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks for the tip!

captaint
01-16-2013, 01:33 PM
+ 1 what Muddydogs said. Use nice soft lead and you wouldn't even have to fill up the .357 brass. That would be one hell of a long slug. Longer than necessary. It's a good process, though. Mike

41 mag fan
01-16-2013, 04:55 PM
good tip of the day...something like this needs to be made a sticky to help out fellow members in the future

blackthorn
01-17-2013, 01:27 PM
I just clamp a piece of 1/2" plywood, with a few holes (just over bore size) drilled in it, to a flat steel surface and fill the holes with soft lead.