PDA

View Full Version : 12 Ga. OO buck recipe using CCI 209 primers

Idaho Gunsmith
01-15-2013, 09:30 AM
First post and a shout out from North Idaho. I am in the process of finding a recipe to load OO buck for my 12 ga. (2 3/4", 9 pellet). I just picked up some CCI 209 primers but realized that I couldn't find much load data for them on loading OO buck. Is there a published recipe or should I stick them in the storage box and pick a recipe from Hodgdon such as using Winchester primers instead? I understand that it's not okay to just substitute components with shotgun so that's why I am here checking first. Thanks in advance for any information.

saint_iverson
01-15-2013, 09:39 AM
Congrats on your first post! Pertaining to primers, as far as metallic shooting is concerned, I've never given a second thought to using different primer manufacturers so long as they are rated the same, i.e. - Small pistol vs magnum small pistol. Between fed, CCI, win,wolf, I've had the same performance. That being said, I haven't reloaded shotgun in a long time, but in dealing with those that have, primer differences are far less of a concern than using different wads/ powders/shotweight and size/hulls.

One suggestion is to move this post to the "Shotgun" thread area though, get far more hits there! A moderator should be able to help you out.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?36-Casting-for-Shotguns

375RUGER
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM
If you examine data carefully you will likely notice that for all components being the same that W209 will generally have a heavier charge of powder than the CCI209. Sometimes it is only a few tenths grain, sometimes it's more than 2g difference.
Check the data between the 2 primers with the components you will be loading and adjust powder charge accordingly. Start with the lowest pressure load listed and work up.
What load manual are you using?

BCB
01-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Idaho Gunsmith...

I looked in the 2nd and 4th Edition of Lyman Shotshell Handbook and most buckshot loads do call for Winchester or Federal primers. If you are concerned, why not find a recipe and purchase a hundred 209's of whatever brand they call for...

If you are having trouble finding data, let me know what hull you are using and I could possible scan that data and send it to you via e-mail...

I load eight 00's in a AA hull. I loaded it according to weight of the pellets. I don't advocate this, but the load I came up with has worked for a good many hundred rounds downrange...

Good-luck...BCB

Idaho Gunsmith
01-15-2013, 10:17 AM
I don't have a printed manual at this time. I have been looking at the Hodgdon load data center online and whatever else I can find around the internet. I plan on purchasing a printed book soon. As far as hulls go, I have a large variety of once fired so I have my pick on what I want to use. I also don't mind starting with new hulls. I have heard that the Remington hulls are a bit more durable than others.

BCB
01-15-2013, 10:25 AM
If you are going to purchase a manual, the Lymans I have are pretty good...

They are the Shotgun Handbook so don't confuse them with other Lyman Handbooks...

Good-luck...BCB

runfiverun
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
here's a little advice.
shotguns are as temperamental as rifles are [quite often more so]
use a lower charge to start and pattern your loads with different chokes.
work up a little at a time.
you do have to weigh some shotgun powders.
go by your ejecta weight for load selection.
try the loads [pattern with different chokes] in each gun you are planning to use them in.

Idaho Gunsmith
01-15-2013, 04:07 PM
I will be using these in a Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel. I am mainly aiming at making some OO buck for my shotgun that doesn't cost $1 per round.

GaryN
01-15-2013, 11:59 PM
I've been using a load of 8 00buck also. It seems much easier to deal with.

Idaho Gunsmith
01-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the info guys.