PDA

View Full Version : Steady on blokes - you're making life hard for us Ozzies!

sthwestvictoria
01-15-2013, 07:02 AM
With your shooting sports interest running white hot, things are getting hard for us Australians to buy. I like to use a Castboolit sponsor Titan Reloading.

Can I order a .358 sizing kit - no - out of stock
Lee Hand press - no - out of stock
Lee Loader in .308 - no - out of stock
Lee Loader in .223- no - out of stock
Lee Mold handles - no - out of stock
.358 158 2 cavity- all out of stock

So slow down a bit blokes and let some of the goodies out of the country!

Alchemist
01-15-2013, 08:25 AM
Hang in there, mate. Unless things really fall apart, this will pass after a bit and there will be second hand unused stuff up for sale all over ebay.

I do feel for you though, it being summer down under and all.

ffg
01-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Sorry bloke but the natives are going wild over here , buying up everything, my old reloading stuff has gone up in value .

cbrick
01-15-2013, 09:22 AM
Unless complete insanity rules the day (a possibility) this shall pass. I went to a gun show last weekend and checked out a couple of tables of black guns, yep they had them. For what they wanted for a $500 rifle I think they will have them for some time. Hopefully.

Components are being bought up faster than stores can stock them but this has happened before and will pass. Reloading equipment is about the same. Loaded ammo prices are insane, hard to believe folks are paying a buck plus for every squeeze of the trigger but I guess they are.

I guess our friends down under will have to employ the same tactic that we are using while insanity rules the day. Patience.

Rick

shdwlkr
01-15-2013, 09:42 AM
I only hope as some have said this will pass and things will settle down. I have to wonder this time around as Maryland and New York have already betrayed their citizens.
As to things being hard to get it just might be very hard for us to get them soon also.
Sorry you are enjoying what happens when a few misguided individuals decide what the Constitution means and then go in act laws that reflex those feelings on a whole state and maybe a whole nation.

When a government seeks to disarm its people they go from citizens to subjects and have only the rights granted by the dictator and that just might be death.

41 mag fan
01-15-2013, 10:11 AM
You hear the news theres 19 executive orders obama is going to enforce on gun control....might be waiting a little bit longer...thiese executive orders do anything..it will define why the founding fathers placed the 2A in the constitution.

ffg
01-15-2013, 10:19 AM
Time to fire up the tar kettle and get the feathers , and don't forget the rail .

DLCTEX
01-15-2013, 11:36 AM
It's not just hard down under, brother. I can't find much I need here either. WalMart had almost no 22 ammo (Shorts and oddball LR only) when I last visited. The only rifle ammo was 30-06.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
01-15-2013, 01:15 PM
and now you can see why the UN wants US gun ownership dead , because we also supply much of the world , parts, accessories and reloading supplies

Kill the US gun ownership and the world if free to dictatorships

on the other hand Obama is up for gun sales man of the year 6 years running setting a new record , and it is still January

RayinNH
01-15-2013, 02:21 PM
It could possibly be they are low for end of year inventory purposes and just haven't fully restocked.

MtGun44
01-15-2013, 02:37 PM
+1 on inventory control. Most are unaware that many states tax business inventory
at the first day of the year. Many business work hard to be at the lowest possible inventory
at Jan 1, and combined with the panic buying and everyone is out of nearly everything.

Sales are amazing. I was at Sierra Bullets yesterday and the counter clerk mentioned that
she had sold 1500 lbs of seconds on Friday alone. No .224 55 FMJBT to be had at all - AT
THE FACTORY!

Bill

David2011
01-15-2013, 02:44 PM
Went to the LGS yesterday. The owner has been told by some vendors that he may not get new shipments of some items until the middle of 2014. His long gun stock is so thin that he has a long gun in every other notch on his racks. He can't get primers or powder. All of the more popular powders are sold out and he's had to space the remaining supply out to keep the shelves from looking empty. One of his suppliers called him up with 13 handguns in stock but would only sell him 2. There is virtually no .22 rimfire ammo anywhere. It will pass- it will just take a while.

David

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-15-2013, 05:14 PM
You folks thinking its inventory time, better pull your head out.

Sorry for you Australians, we can fix the problem if we can catch him and stuff him in
a box and send him your way

MtGun44
01-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Inventory tax is a PIECE of the issue, add to that MASSIVE panic buying.

Bill

sthwestvictoria
01-16-2013, 05:13 AM
well I was able to get a few things out of Titan Reloading - a 35 whelen die set and case trimmer. I have one Lee 358-158RF mold and once I know twist will try for a Cast Bullet Engineering proper Whelen mold.

runfiverun
01-16-2013, 02:27 PM
1-14.
200-250.

sthwestvictoria
01-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Yes, probably. It is a FN mauser that was re-bored rather than re-barreled. So hopefully fairly fast twist, at least 1:14. I believe some factory rifles (remington?) were a bit too slow at 1:16.
When I get my mitts on it i'll slug the barrel and am planning to trial a sulfur cast.

runfiverun
01-16-2013, 04:04 PM
slow is an advantage with cast boolits.
the 35's are given the advantage of weight,length, and a cast friendly twist rate.
running a 250 gr cast boolit to 23-2400 fps is rather easy in them.
kind of the overlooked heroes of the boolt slingers.

sthwestvictoria
01-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Yes, keen to get started on this one. Once I have the twist i'll be picking a boolit from Cast Bullet Engineering for a heavier GC boolit for hunting (deer is the goal). I have some lighter non-GC .357 molds for plinking work.

starmac
01-16-2013, 05:54 PM
Even the police are starting to worry about getting ammo.

Police departments nationwide are experiencing ammunition shortages, according to the online law enforcement resource, PoliceOne.com

Sgt. Chris Forrester of the Greer Police Department in South Carolina told local TV-news channel WSPA-7:

"It's never easy to get ammo, but since the tragedy in Connecticut, it's become even more difficult."

Forrester says the department began experiencing problems ordering ammunition a little less than a month ago. "You'll call and they say 'sorry we're out,' or 'it's on back order,'" he said.

The shortage has forced Sgt. Forrester to rethink quarterly training for his officers saying, "We're having to be more conservative."

Typically, officers are required to fire 60 rounds with a rifle but because of ammunition backorders, they've reduced that number to 20, Forrester explained.

According to WSB-TV, tens of thousands of rounds are on backorder for departments in Georgia which has forced the Douglas County Sheriff's Office to reschedule training exercises as they scramble for ammo.

Chief Terry Sult of the Sandy Springs Police Department said, "It affects our ability to be prepared. It affects the potential safety of the officers, because they're not as proficient as they should be."

Jay Wallace, owner of Smyrna Police Distributors in Cobb County, Georgia commented on the ammunition shortage:

"There's been more demand for ammunition than there's ever been. We're going to be starting to get very concerned at the six-month level if that's all we have in stock, because then we have to start planning and rationing."

Wallace also said that some police departments could wait up to a year for bulk ammunition orders to be shipped.

cbrick
01-16-2013, 06:05 PM
That ain't good. I for one like the police to be well trained, well armed & proficient.

I'm old enough to remember when some departments reloaded & cast for their training ammo, doubt there's any that do now.

Rick

SciFiJim
01-16-2013, 08:12 PM
Since a lot of once fired brass comes from police training, expect those supplies to get scarce as well.

JesterGrin_1
01-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Maybe they should get some of the what was it again 1,6OO,OOO rounds that our good gov put on order.

Besides really why do they need ammo as they are only there to do paper work after the fact.

And maybe they should take those automatics away from them and reissue some good ole revolvers. That should help greatly since they could not spray ammo all over the place. And learn to make there shots count.

I even met a DPS Officer that still had his S&W 686 and yep I asked him about it. And he even felt that they should carry a Revolver instead of what they mostly carry now.

DCM
01-16-2013, 09:43 PM
Glad to hear someone is trying to buy stuff made in the USA.

Down South
01-16-2013, 10:44 PM
I'm kind of just sitting back and watching. I did order a few reloading items that I had been wanting about time the madness started but it was mostly just tools. Some of the stuff is still waiting to be filled and shipped. I did order some powder and LR primers that were in stock from PV two weeks ago and just got my invoice today. So I guess that shipped today, I hope.
I just went and looked at a few online suppliers. Looks like a lot of powder and primers are out of stock.
I think this will blow over but I can't say when. I was setting pretty good as was. I ordered a new powder to try and I was out of LR primers.
I ordered a primer pocket swaging die set. I have tools to trim the military primer crimps with but I wanted to try swaging the pockets. I had been collecting 5.56/.223 brass for a while, I don't know why, addiction I guess. I've been sorting it out and processing it. I've still got medium flat rate boxes to sort.
I wanted one of those fancy RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Powder Scale and Dispenser Combo's. I don't know how much I will like it but it has good reviews plus they are on sale at several places, plus RCBS is giving an online $50 rebate for any RCBS purchases combined totaling $300. So I bought the RCBS swaging dies to bump my purchase up over the $300 mark. I ordered this stuff two weeks ago an it was in stock but they are so busy, they are way behind on shipping.
A few other tools that I ordered came in already.
I bought a new .22 rimfire but can't find ammo for it. It was a hard to find rifle due to the panic too, a Ruger 10/22 Takedown.
Hopefully we will have .22's back on the shelves soon.

starmac
01-16-2013, 10:56 PM
I am just sitting back and laughing at the prices I am seeing some folks pay. lol There are still a lot of things I would like to have, but nothing I have to have. I too think it will blow over, even those take down 10/22 are back in the racks of at least 2 places in town, so it is just a matter of time.

gbrown
01-16-2013, 11:25 PM
Going into Acadamy (regional sporting good store) and Gander Mountain (National store) I saw 2 bricks of .22 ammo (total), most other ammo stocks down or gone. Walmart? a joke--shelves empty. It's like there will be no more made. Other than .22 ammo, only got 5 bricks, I'm good. Got components to go for a good while. Back in 2009, there was a shortage of primers for 6-8 months, then thing got back to normal. Hopefully, the same will happen now. We'll see.

Down South
01-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Hey gbrown, you need to make another post right quick. That post count number looks like something from Washington.

starmac
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
LOL N.M. had a state hiway 666 for years, but they finally changed the numbers a few years ago. I knew people that would not for any reason drive on it.

gbrown
01-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Hey gbrown, you need to make another post right quick. That post count number looks like something from Washington.

That's like the number 13, or breaking a mirror, or so many other things I've heard. I'm good, don't believe in all that. I got God and his son at my back! I'm good. Don't believe in all that, other than the Trinity. This post is for no other reason than for raising my belief, and hopefully yours, in the Father, Son and Holy Ghost!

Down South
01-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Hey gbrown, I'm with ya. I was just poking a little fun at you. The numbers don't bother me either.

Gliden07
01-16-2013, 11:59 PM
I feel your pain!! I have a nice new Hornady LNL progressive reloader I bought over a month ago and I can't get any Shell Plates for it!! So I can't even play with my new toy!!!

gbrown
01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Hey gbrown, I'm with ya. I was just poking a little fun at you. The numbers don't bother me either.

Understood, bro. Just putting forth my feelings of life. I take no offense at anything. Thanks for the opportunity to allow me to put forth my outlook on life.

Down South
01-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Yeah, the next door neighbor over here in the RV park decided to get into reloading about the time all this started. I shook my head but I've helped him all that I could. He got his press in yesterday. I've helped him scrounge up some brass. I found some here in the Sappin & Sellin. I had a bucket about half full of range pickup of various caliber brass. He needed 9mm brass so I let him have all he could find in that bucket. Dang, he pulled out over 1800 rds of 9mm. I didn't think that it would have been that much 9mm in there but he sorted out all of it and I wound up with a nice pile of 45acp and 40 S&W. Plus a hand full or two of .380. He got his dies in too. What he does not have is powder, primers or bullets. I'lll help him out with some of that plus I have a few thousand 9mm boolits cast up, sized and lubed.

gbrown
01-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Yeah, the next door neighbor over here in the RV park decided to get into reloading about the time all this started. What he does not have is powder, primers or bullets. I'lll help him out with some of that plus I have a few thousand 9mm boolits cast up, sized and lubed.

Hey, I go to the High Caliber shows in the Houston area. There's a lady there that sells powder, at what I consider a reasonable price. PM me if interested, and I can give you her contact info. You can take the neighbor to one and get him hooked up with sources.

popper
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Inventory tax,supply, end of year runs, whosale pricing, gov reg fear, demand all causing problems. nY regs were passed so fast that LEO isn't allowed anything but revolvers, legally. nY legislature is like the judges on that song/dance show. Most of what I'm hearing is stores aren't ordering *** they don't know what they will be allowed to sell.