PDA

View Full Version : Boolit vs Barrel

chevyiron420
01-15-2013, 02:00 AM
Hey guy's, would a softer or harder boolit tend to lead more in a roughly machined barrel?

geargnasher
01-15-2013, 02:03 AM
Tough to make a general call on this one. My experience leans toward it doesn't matter much because even hard lead alloy is still very soft by steel's standards, so 10 bhn or 25 doesn't make much change. Even gilding metal, from 50-100 bhn IIRC, will foul a rough bore worse and faster than it will a smooth one.

I'm going to say that LUBE makes much more difference than alloy does.

Gear

runfiverun
01-15-2013, 02:16 AM
how rough is rough.
if it's chatter marks and such it ain't gonna matter what you use it will leave something behind.
sept maybe not tungsten.
just scratches ehhh i'd want a little antimony.
pitting and such is gonna pull lead off too.

44man
01-15-2013, 10:07 AM
Never know! I had a Tender in 30-30 that picked up copper so bad I could make a few bullets after cleaning. It was so bad I sent the barrel back and had it replaced but the second was the same.
It shot cast and from bags with a scope I could hit pennies at 100 yards. My friend still has it and it still shoots cast great.
The silly thing did not lead but it loved copper.

Larry Gibson
01-15-2013, 11:24 AM
g
Going to depend more on the alloy, the lube, PB'd or GC'd, the burn rate of the powder and the velocity pushed too. I've seen some awefully smooth barrels that were leaded and some awefully rough barrels that didn't lead..........just depends......

Larry Gibson

stubshaft
01-15-2013, 02:36 PM
I don't think that alloy is going to make a difference here. A file will cut into soft alloy as readily as hard alloy.

williamwaco
01-18-2013, 10:52 PM
I don't know the answer to that question but I had an interesting experience in that regard a few months ago.

Take a look at this bore, it looks like a mile of washboard road. It does not lead a bit.

http://reloadingtips.com/reviews/charter_arms_bulldog.htm

Wolfer
01-18-2013, 10:56 PM
Firelap that sucker!

44man
01-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Was that barrel made in Spain? They have a crew there that can crawl into bores with little hammers and chisels. :roll:
Looks like some of the early muzzle loader bores.
Crazy things happen. My Browning BPCR uses soft lead and the bore is smooth, no leading but once I tried AC WW boolits and they leaded the bore. No, I can't blame the hardness but something strange goes on.

williamwaco
01-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Was that barrel made in Spain? They have a crew there that can crawl into bores with little hammers and chisels. :roll:
Looks like some of the early muzzle loader bores.
Crazy things happen. My Browning BPCR uses soft lead and the bore is smooth, no leading but once I tried AC WW boolits and they leaded the bore. No, I can't blame the hardness but something strange goes on.

It surely does!