PDA

View Full Version : Can not make round boolits

RW460
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
New to the boolit world lots of questions
I have two 429421 lyman moulds and a rcbs in the same weight. One of the 429s I bought new the others are used but look new, I keep getting out of round bullets from both the lyman and rcbs moulds. This also happens in my 45 moulds I run the temp. at around 700* to 750 to keep out the wrinkles and make sharper corners.
Can any one help on this ? I am new to casting but have been reloading for 35 years or more. I think I should have just bought ready made bullets it would have been much cheaper than casting.

Bullshop
01-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Take it easy! A mold that will make perfectly round boolits is a rare bird. All is not lost. The final sizer your barrel will make them as round as they need be.
.001 or .002" out of round is not that big a deal unless maybe your talking 22 cal. For say 30 cal and up dont sweet it. Sizing them out-a-round boolits nose first will make them look perty good. The final sizer will let you know just how good.

Springfield
01-14-2013, 05:03 PM
Many moulds cast out of round, aluminum being the worst offenders in my experience. They still shoot well most of the time.

oldfart1956
01-14-2013, 09:43 PM
RW if the out of round really bothers you get an inexpensive Lee sizing die. That'll round them right smart. I'm casting with an H&G mold right now (4 banger) that casts some .004 out of round in .44 and this past weekend shot my first 1 inch group at 50yds. ! Unsized by the way. I've shot 'em sized and unsized, so round and out of round...didn't seem to matter much. Now some may scoff at a 1 inch group but for me that's exceptional. Scoped and off sandbags by the way. Load 'em...shoot 'em. Audie...the Oldfart.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-14-2013, 10:15 PM
RW460, I have the same problem. Most of the time it does not matter (as others have stated) but sometimes it does. I had a .359 mold that dropped boolits at .359 but at the seam of the mold, they were .358... I just had some posts about this and one of the solutions was to lap the mold. I did that and now it is dropping at .360 and .3595.-- .360 is what I was after. That may be good enough. I will have to test fire some and see. If not, I will lap the mold some more. If, on the narrow part of the boolit, it is still large enough for you gun, then all is good to go. Welcome to the site. There is all kinds of things you can do to make your boolits a different diameter. Now that you are casting your own, you don't have to worry about bullets. You can make up thousands yourself.

MtGun44
01-15-2013, 12:55 AM
Round is overrated.

Bill

44man
01-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Usually the boolit is larger at the parting line. Something to do with lead-lag of the cutters as they hit edges. I made many of my own molds and can do nothing but praise our good mold makers here. It is HARD.
Then understand that the cavity gets smaller when hot and most is not at the parting line.
A round mold may never make a round boolit.
The only time I got near perfect was hand turning the cherry in a hot mold because it cast too small. I have learned a lot fooling with this stuff and to get a perfectly round boolit is just not in the cards, heat makes a perfect cavity oblong.
Yeah, yeah a hole gets larger until you realize the cavity is not a hole, it is half a hole on an edge.
Relax, the boolits will shoot!

pdawg_shooter
01-15-2013, 10:52 AM
By the time you shove them down the barrel with 20,000+psi pressure behind them they will be just as round as the bore of the barrel is. Don't fret over it.

williamwaco
01-15-2013, 09:46 PM
I have been casting since 1956.

I really have no idea how many molds I have owned but I do know this. I have owned only ONE mold that cast bullets round with in .0005.

Most are out of round by .001 to .003.