PDA

View Full Version : Powder horn projects

Glassman66
01-14-2013, 12:31 AM
Ok all, I picked up 2 horns and set about making a usable powder horn. This is my first try, and I have done it from pics alone. I haven't had one in my hands before, so go easy on me.

Its a little short, this first one. It had a bad place that wasn't noticed until I had started working on it, but thought it would probably make a good hunting horn. Thats really all I need anyway, shouldn't have to take too many shots out huntin or I am probably doing something wrong in the first place. :mrgreen:

I am not done yet and could use some guidance. Not sure how big to make the hole, I know it needs to be tapered and I plan on making a plug from an antler.

Its about a 1/4" now and I have read anywhere from that to 3/8". What do you guys think?

First pic is the two horn I picked up and second is where I am at now. Bring on the suggestions!

Taylor
01-15-2013, 09:11 PM
good work.

gnoahhh
01-16-2013, 03:32 PM
Those are some big horns. You can get a horn and a drinking cup out each one.

I would have left the tip longer on the one you are working on, for aesthetic reasons. The hole doesn't have to be very big- 1/4" diameter or so is fine. If you want a tapered hole, a #5 Morse taper reamer ran into a 1/4" hole is peachy. Then the only problem is turning a tapered peg. If you're careful, turning a tapered stopper using a drill press can be done if you don't have access to a lathe. I have used ebony tuning pegs for violins or violas too. They make for a classy stopper, they are cheap, tapered, and can be found in music stores or the internet.

Von Gruff
01-16-2013, 05:02 PM
When I made mine I went a little non traditional and used walnut. I drilled decending sized holes down into the "horn" and quite a bit of time to get it opened out evenly. I went with a base that would also let it sit upright for loading at the range and made a little on-off tap that allowed a heavy 44 C&B revolver load. Worked very well but I no longer have any BP guns so sold it on.
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Reloading%20etc/002.jpg

smokemjoe
01-16-2013, 05:51 PM
I glue piece inside the horn of soft wood. make it and the horn square, Pin the sides for looks? thenfit a piece of wood to it and shape to your liking

Glassman66
01-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Those are some big horns. You can get a horn and a drinking cup out each one.

I would have left the tip longer on the one you are working on, for aesthetic reasons. The hole doesn't have to be very big- 1/4" diameter or so is fine. If you want a tapered hole, a #5 Morse taper reamer ran into a 1/4" hole is peachy. Then the only problem is turning a tapered peg. If you're careful, turning a tapered stopper using a drill press can be done if you don't have access to a lathe. I have used ebony tuning pegs for violins or violas too. They make for a classy stopper, they are cheap, tapered, and can be found in music stores or the internet.

Ya, in my mind it was going to look different after the tip was cut, but it turned out to be short and fat like me! Ha. It is the first one I have done and I may do some more work on it yet. The horns were all but free and I have learned some on the first one and hopefully the next one will be better. Thanks for the tips, I will post some pics when it is all done and I start and the next one.

Thanks,Randy

Glassman66
01-17-2013, 12:25 AM
When I made mine I went a little non traditional and used walnut. I drilled decending sized holes down into the "horn" and quite a bit of time to get it opened out evenly. I went with a base that would also let it sit upright for loading at the range and made a little on-off tap that allowed a heavy 44 C&B revolver load. Worked very well but I no longer have any BP guns so sold it on.
http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Reloading%20etc/002.jpg

I had thought about making something out of wood before I found my horns but didn't think of making it look like a horn, Yours is pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

Randy

gnoahhh
01-22-2013, 01:39 PM
Lots of things can be made out of the horn leftovers: Drinking vessels, buttons, eating utensils, etc. Remember, horn was the plastic of the 18th century.