PDA

View Full Version : Is the term "assault rifle" copyrighted?

dakotashooter2
01-13-2013, 10:07 PM
Maybe that's a way to get the media to quit using the term...............

P.K.
01-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Maybe that's a way to get the media to quit using the term...............

Yup, by Feinstein, Boxer and Brady. New law firm.....

arkypete
01-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I believe that Hitler came up with the term 'assault rifle' in 1944.

Jim

MtGun44
01-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Sturmgehwehr - literal translation "assault rifle". First applied to the breakthrough
concept, StG 44 a redesign of the MP 43 (for Maschinen Pistole - Machine Pistol).
The problem is that the technical term "assault rifle" is used for a FULL AUTO
rifle or carbine that uses a LOWER POWER ammo than a Battle Rifle, which
uses full power ammo like .30-06 or 7.62 NATO. For the Germans in WW2 the
full power round was 7.92x57 Mauser and the lower power round is the
7.92x33 Kurtz.

What these buttheads are calling 'assault weapons' are DEFINITIVELY NOT "assault
rifles" since they are semi-auto only. In addition, they complain that they are
super powerful guns - specifically not true, again.

They INTEND to cause confusion of AR15s with full auto M4 and M16 military assault
rifles.

We should NEVER use the term. Use the term 'modern defense rifle' by preference,
or 'modern hunting rifle' and something like 'rifle with military look' if pressed. Do
not let them set the terms with a name that sounds bad and confuses.

The correct response if ever asked about "assault weapons" is something like:
"I'm not sure what you are talking about, machine guns have been extremely
limited since 1934. What do you mean?" This tends to confuse them and they
are not sure what to say since most have no clue. If eventually they thrash around
and say something like "well, an AR15 or AK47", the best answer is something
like "An AR15 is a not an illegal assault weapon, it is a legal modern defensive rifle.
You should really learn what you are talking about, you are really pretty ignorant
about these things." If they press about the AK47, same answer: "An AK47 is an
illegal assault weapon, essentially none are out there. There are some rifles with
similar styling, but they are legal modern defense rifles, not illegal assault weapons.
Why do you insist on using inaccurate terms? Are you just uninformed or are you
intentionally trying to confuse the issue?"

If "too powerful" comes up, again point out their ignorance and say, "They are much
less powerful than normal deer rifles." Factually correct, and it befuddles the
clueless fools making these claims.

Refuse to discuss it on their terms, insist on pointing out the difference and if they
protest, question their motives and objectivity. Verbal jujitsu.

Bill

xs11jack
01-14-2013, 01:47 AM
Looking in my Firearms library, I find a magazine published and copyrighted in 1984 by Guns & Ammo, that has the title THE NEW BREED OF SPORTING ARM Assault Rifles. In side, the first article is titled "What is an Assault Rifle? They boil it down to "Semi-automatic Military Look-alike Rifles." In another magazine, this one titled "The complete Book of Assault Rifles." Also copyrighted 1984, it talks only about Assault Rifles and neither publication uses the words "Assault Weapon." I don't have anything older that mentions Assault Rifles or even Assault Weapons. I think I must agree with the person that said that "Assault Weapon" was first used by a liberal news agency in or about 1992.
Jack

bob208
01-14-2013, 07:39 AM
one of the anti-gunner spoke the truth then sunday.i think it was chucky from n.y. he said assault type rifle. maybe he miss spoke. so if it looks like something thought to be bad it is bad.

captaint
01-14-2013, 08:32 AM
Sorry, there's no way to get the media to quit using the term. They're having more fun right now than they have had in years. They're never going to be happy till they have their way - which is to say - no guns, period. Mike

rockrat
01-14-2013, 12:34 PM
Maybe you could associate the term "assault rifle' with WWII Nazi germany "Sturmgewehr". Compliment the speaker for them using the grammar and see their reaction

NVcurmudgeon
01-15-2013, 02:58 AM
MtGun44 is exactamente on the origin of "assault rifle". The phrase might have become just another dusty Wehrmacht relic but for "Ye Olde Hunter." YOH was a huge milsurp merchant back in the fifties and sixties. He ran full page ads noted for their humor and outrageous "history" in the American Rifleman and other gun magazines. About 1960 YOH in merchandising some Egyptian surplus semi-auto rifles, maybe Ljungman made in Sweden, called them "assault rifles." Even though YOH misused the phrase, it was a clever bit of salesmanship and I'm sure the Ljungmans flew off the shelves. That was the earliest use of "assault rifle" I can remember in American English and I read everything gun-oriented I could beg, borrow, buy, or steal from 1947 until now.

Jammersix
01-15-2013, 03:53 AM
I've always understood that a full auto weapon is a machine gun or a machine pistol.

To be an assault rifle, the weapon must fire a cartridge of a smaller caliber than a rifle, with more power than a pistol, and be selective fire, not full auto.

Adam10mm
01-15-2013, 03:51 PM
Selective fire is the option to choose between semiautomatic fire and either full automatic fire or burst fire on the same weapon.

The M16 can be had with burst (A2) or fully automatic (A1) and both versions of those have the provision for semiautomatic fire, thus selective fire.

With the AR15/M16/M4 family there are three trigger options:
1. SAFE, SEMI, AUTO
2. SAFE, SEMI, BURST
3. SAFE, SEMI

Two of those are select fire, one of those is not.

Every firearm is a machine. The term "machine gun" refers to belt fed fully automatic rifles such as the M240B, M249 SAW, etc.

4719dave
01-15-2013, 08:23 PM
AMEN ................ tv shows with all the guns haveing fun switches so everyone thinks they all do NEVER EVER SEEN THE DIFFERENCE SHOWN BETWEEN THAT SHOWN ON TV DO YA
Sturmgehwehr - literal translation "assault rifle". First applied to the breakthrough
concept, StG 44 a redesign of the MP 43 (for Maschinen Pistole - Machine Pistol).
The problem is that the technical term "assault rifle" is used for a FULL AUTO
rifle or carbine that uses a LOWER POWER ammo than a Battle Rifle, which
uses full power ammo like .30-06 or 7.62 NATO. For the Germans in WW2 the
full power round was 7.92x57 Mauser and the lower power round is the
7.92x33 Kurtz.

What these buttheads are calling 'assault weapons' are DEFINITIVELY NOT "assault
rifles" since they are semi-auto only. In addition, they complain that they are
super powerful guns - specifically not true, again.

They INTEND to cause confusion of AR15s with full auto M4 and M16 military assault
rifles.

We should NEVER use the term. Use the term 'modern defense rifle' by preference,
or 'modern hunting rifle' and something like 'rifle with military look' if pressed. Do
not let them set the terms with a name that sounds bad and confuses.

The correct response if ever asked about "assault weapons" is something like:
"I'm not sure what you are talking about, machine guns have been extremely
limited since 1934. What do you mean?" This tends to confuse them and they
are not sure what to say since most have no clue. If eventually they thrash around
and say something like "well, an AR15 or AK47", the best answer is something
like "An AR15 is a not an illegal assault weapon, it is a legal modern defensive rifle.
You should really learn what you are talking about, you are really pretty ignorant
about these things." If they press about the AK47, same answer: "An AK47 is an
illegal assault weapon, essentially none are out there. There are some rifles with
similar styling, but they are legal modern defense rifles, not illegal assault weapons.
Why do you insist on using inaccurate terms? Are you just uninformed or are you
intentionally trying to confuse the issue?"

If "too powerful" comes up, again point out their ignorance and say, "They are much
less powerful than normal deer rifles." Factually correct, and it befuddles the
clueless fools making these claims.

Refuse to discuss it on their terms, insist on pointing out the difference and if they
protest, question their motives and objectivity. Verbal jujitsu.

Bill

garandnutts
01-15-2013, 09:30 PM
I personally prefer "modern sporting rifle"...
Another term, while we're at it, that gets tossed out way too much is "weapon"....firearms are only weapons when they are used in anger....jmtcw...

MtGun44
01-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Sorry to disagree. Shooting in self defense does not have to be in anger. I have heard this
argument before and feel that denying that these are weapons is to tiptoe timidly away from
reality and give over a bit of the argument to the other side.

I am PROUD to own and carry WEAPONS. Weapons in the hands of good people is a good thing,
not something to by shy about or leave unsaid.

Bill

TheDoctor
01-15-2013, 10:04 PM
I find it insulting that someone either through ignorance, or worse, intent, labels something I may have or get with such a term. Can I sue the liberals for hurting my feelings? Not to mention the way they spit on our constitution.

Jammersix
01-15-2013, 11:47 PM
Yup, Freakshow, we agree.One of my points is that there is, in fact, such a thing as an assault rifle-- our military carries assault rifles.The other point I wanted to make is that an AR-15 that fires semi-automatic is simply a semi-automatic rifle. Since we already have a term for that, ("rifle") I don't understand why we would call them "defensive rifles" or anything but what they are. Rifles, or, if you like, weapons. My opinion is that adding redundant terms doesn't help either us or our opponents, and simply obfuscates the issues.

Shooternz
01-16-2013, 12:55 AM
I don't live in America but what happens there with firearms filters down to us, when you had the "assault rifle" ban our lawmakers jumped on the band wagon and used it to create a new class of rifle a "Military Style Semi Auto" they are still trying to decide what exactly a "MSSA" is,
What gets my goat is there are people that should know better advertising for sale Assault Rifles, are they trying to get a better price or faster sale or just P**s people off, I have seen Air Rifles for sale as Assault rifles now is that dumb or what,
If any one asks me about Assault rifles my answer is that there none in private hands we only have
semi auto sporting rifles which is basically true there are some collectors with them but they can't shoot them,
I can't see how the government could grab all the semi auto sporting rifles in America they would have to visit every dwelling and search it then they would miss all the others buried all over the country they would have to catch you with one on your person or in your car, then there are the states that don't comply with the Federal law a large number of people would relocate to those states making it even hard to enforce the law,
I wonder if the Government have thought it through, when they get over the knee jerk reaction they may reconsider how difficult is is going to be. Robert.

waksupi
01-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Call them battle rifles. That will scare the hell out of them.

HighHook
01-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Call them battle rifles. That will scare the hell out of them.

Good one! Constitution defenders at this point...

Stephen Cohen
01-16-2013, 02:00 AM
Another term, while we're at it, that gets tossed out way too much is "weapon"....firearms are only weapons when they are used in anger....jmtcw...

You are so right Sir, the word weapon is discouraged at clubs and sporting venues in this country. We have all seen how words are used to describe a firearm as a weapon when used for sport, my personal all time hated word is tactical, you don't have to be too bright to see where that word will lead us. some times we shooters are our own worst enemies.

Adam10mm
01-16-2013, 02:24 AM
I prefer AR15 or AK47, whichever the case may be. Call it what it is. All firearms are weapons. They were invented, designed, developed to allow the user to kill another living being. The very essence of a weapon. Don't fall for the NSSF marketing junk. The entire word "sporting" when used with firearms is something born of a misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the Second Amendment.

Adam10mm
01-16-2013, 02:28 AM
Yup, Freakshow, we agree.One of my points is that there is, in fact, such a thing as an assault rifle-- our military carries assault rifles.The other point I wanted to make is that an AR-15 that fires semi-automatic is simply a semi-automatic rifle. Since we already have a term for that, ("rifle") I don't understand why we would call them "defensive rifles" or anything but what they are. Rifles, or, if you like, weapons. My opinion is that adding redundant terms doesn't help either us or our opponents, and simply obfuscates the issues.
Internet high five *smack*. Totally agree.

Adam10mm
01-16-2013, 02:33 AM
You are so right Sir, the word weapon is discouraged at clubs and sporting venues in this country. We have all seen how words are used to describe a firearm as a weapon when used for sport, my personal all time hated word is tactical, you don't have to be too bright to see where that word will lead us. some times we shooters are our own worst enemies.
So my AR15 rifle, used for defense, protection, hunting, recreation (ie sport), and weapon against any threat is to be called what then?

The reason the term weapon is frowned upon is because the cowards that think the Second Amendment is about hunting are scared by terms relating to the contrary of their personal use of firearms.

Jammersix
01-20-2013, 02:11 AM
Drill Sergeant Oglin would rise from his grave and beat all of us if I called an AR-15 a gun. [shudder]

Adam10mm
01-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I think "gun" is a term originally specific to naval cannon.

Jammersix
01-21-2013, 11:17 PM
Now it also applies to machine guns and certain types of artillery (I don't know those details, but there is a "gun" and a "howitzer" when talking about artillery capable of indirect fire).

There is also "main gun", as applied, for instance, to the Abrams and the Bradley, but what is and isn't a gun in those instances is starting to get a little fuzzy.

Then there's the NRA. At my first instructor class, they were trying to get me to stop using the word "weapon" for political reasons. On the third day, they said if anyone used the word "weapon", they owed one can of coke to the class. So at lunch I bought four cases, one each of coke, root beer, 7-up and diet coke.

My opinion, then, in that class, and now, in this thread, is that changing vocabulary for political reasons is not a good idea; it defeats communication and concedes weakness. Anti gun folks use this maneuver regularly, sometimes deliberately, but mostly, I believe, through ignorance.

We have the words, I don't believe we need new words or phrases.

I don't ask folks who simply don't know to use the right words, I don't control anything or anyone but myself.

So I use the words I deem appropriate.

I carry weapons. (Can't annoy Drill Olgin.) I don't own an assault rifle.

On good days, people who know I teach ask me the difference. The intelligent ones even ask me what the definition of "assault rifle" actually is.

Adam10mm
01-22-2013, 02:21 AM
Now it also applies to machine guns and certain types of artillery (I don't know those details, but there is a "gun" and a "howitzer" when talking about artillery capable of indirect fire).

There is also "main gun", as applied, for instance, to the Abrams and the Bradley, but what is and isn't a gun in those instances is starting to get a little fuzzy.
Yup, I don't get that either. Gun used to be a specific class, now it's slang for a firearm. The word "gun" is like swearing. There are certain and specific times to use it to get the point across so that everyone is clear.

Then there's the NRA. At my first instructor class, they were trying to get me to stop using the word "weapon" for political reasons.
I got called out and warned before my CPL training class about the "w" word. I got the "you know what it is, I know what it is, they know what it is, but in order to be certified I need to cater to the political correctness of the NRA. Please don't make this day harder than it is for me already."

My opinion, then, in that class, and now, in this thread, is that changing vocabulary for political reasons is not a good idea; it defeats communication and concedes weakness. Anti gun folks use this maneuver regularly, sometimes deliberately, but mostly, I believe, through ignorance.
Yep.

I carry weapons. (Can't annoy Drill Olgin.) I don't own an assault rifle.
I carry weapons too. I don't own an assault rifle, but my company does. :)