PDA

View Full Version : New to me

Idaho Mule
01-13-2013, 07:49 PM
Never owned a 30-30 in my life but now I own one. Pre 64 Chinwisker, made in 1956. Son had a trap shoot today and I went with him, on the way back home we stopped to find my shotgun at one gunsmith's place, he wasn't there so we went on to the next gunsmith's place to retrieve son's 1911, he wasn't there either. Sooo, we travelled on towards home and stopped to see a neighbor. He is the one that got me in trouble and had the gun for sale, pretty good shape and actually what I was looking for (???) So, now I need dies, new mold, probably some different powders, cases, etc... I thought the Admiral (wife) would be ok with my new purchase but she appears to be a little agitated. I never raise a word about her buying new shoes or anything but I am a bit confused here. What is this talk about straws that broke some stupid camels back?? JW

drklynoon
01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
I've never owned one either and have been thinking about it for some time. I'm sure she'll come around, sooner or later.

cbrick
01-13-2013, 08:22 PM
As soon as she see's how happy you are with the new to you rifle, all those new boolit molds including the group buys & new loading dies, sizer dies & all the new powders she'll be good with it. If that doesn't do it just let her clean the first deer you get with it, that's sure to win her over. :mrgreen:

Rick

Doc65
01-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I'm just getting setup to load for the one I got from Dad, iirc it's a '53 from looking the serial up at Winchester. I got the MOE group buy 165 RD mold on Friday(They area semi-local, so I dorve down & picked it up) Been working with it & a .360 mold I decided I needed at the same time most of the weekend. Now I just need the sizer & some gas-checks...

runfiverun
01-13-2013, 09:27 PM
rcbs 30 -150 or the 180 or the 311041 if the nose makes .300 or so.
310 diameter.
any powder you have from 2400 through 4831 will do.
ww alloy should do water drop or don't.
you'll need some lr primers and some cases.
thats all the technical stuff i can think of.

Idaho Mule
01-13-2013, 11:05 PM
run, thanks. I think I will try rcbs 30-150. I have had the best luck so far with rcbs molds, in my limited casting career. This little rifle is SWEET!! After we got home Charlie and I attacked the poor little thing in fine detail. Other than a few using dings here and there the thing is pristine. Will try it as is but I can see a Skinner peep on it before Oct 10th. Just looked down the bore again and it looks as good as the last time. Is it ok to get lucky sometimes? JW

runfiverun
01-13-2013, 11:18 PM
heck no it's awesome to get lucky.
i have been through a few 94's [some really pretty ones with engraving and stuff]
the one i have now is ummm not like it came from the factory anymore.
kinda ugly too,but it survived through all the others cause it shoots straight, and works everytime i pull the trigger.
you want a few of the 150's or some 041's or both p.m. me, and i'll send you some up.

429421Cowboy
01-13-2013, 11:34 PM
It never hurts for one of us CB fellers to get lucky, somebody has to! I am still working on my plan to make sure all Americans are issued their very own .30/30 (*translation* "thurty-thurty") when they are born, thats as American as apple pie! I don't have one yet but i'm working on it, Jeff Cooper maintained it was one of the best personal weapons for somebody not permitted or unable to afford a dedicated defence rifle too, how can we argue with the Col.? Enjoy it in good health neighbor!

Idaho Mule
01-13-2013, 11:50 PM
429, thank you. I gotta get back over to Montanee. I used to compete in the little mule show they had in Drummond, it is now moved to Hamilton. As far as home defense don't worry none about my place. 2 mongrel dogs, several over .40cal handguns and lever guns, we're set. From some pics I saw on another thread you had a great hunting season, I am happy for you, dang that feels good don't it? JW

waksupi
01-14-2013, 01:43 AM
429, thank you. I gotta get back over to Montanee. I used to compete in the little mule show they had in Drummond, it is now moved to Hamilton. As far as home defense don't worry none about my place. 2 mongrel dogs, several over .40cal handguns and lever guns, we're set. From some pics I saw on another thread you had a great hunting season, I am happy for you, dang that feels good don't it? JW

I imagine you must know Stu Sorensen?

x101airborne
01-14-2013, 09:35 AM
My wife used to give me grief when I would buy a new gun. I just stayed calm and explained to her that everyone in the family likes to hunt and shoot and we need supplies and weapons to enjoy the sport.

When that didn't work I just showed her where the couch is and explained that it gets cold outside. I dont get grief anymore. I even bought a 37 winchester 16 ga and left it in the corner next to my chair. Yesterday she asked what it is and I told her. She just said "Oh, nice." And that was it.

429421Cowboy
01-14-2013, 11:08 AM
We have been wanting to get to see that mule show, but never have had time at the right time to go! Did you also attend the draft horse & mule expo in Deer Lodge? That is another one Miss K keeps telling me we need to see, and one day i'll get up there for it!
As for buying new guns, she hunts and reloads with me and has her own guns, she figures all she needs is her 870, .270 and .22, and knows what guns i own which would make it hard to fool her, but she doesn't hassle me when buy supplies and the occasional gun when i have a proven need for it. And plus I took the cash i had stashed away to buy a brand new Kahr CM9 carry gun and instead drove to Clancy yesterday and bought her a piano with it, the fact that she cried when she played it in her house the first time last night let me know that it was worth far more to me than any gun! So i think that means when the time comes she won't give me too much grief!

Idaho Mule
01-14-2013, 09:50 PM
Waksupi, that name does have a familiar ring to it but I can't say for sure. What I can say for sure is that I met some darn good folks there, top of the line men, women and kids. Wife, kids and I all trecked over there for 4 (??) years in a row to that Drummond show. Got snowed on every time too. During that period we also hit Springdale, WA and Enterprise, OR for their mule shows too. They were all fun. Dan Drumm ring a bell?? IIRC he was from up your way, good man. 429, never made it to the show in Deer Lodge, probably should have. You can rest easy about Mother being mad, she's over it now and actually likes my new purchase. I attribute the change in attitude to my incredible good looks!! Well, might be wrong about that, she's just a good one. Thanks, JW

Idaho Mule
01-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Update here. Got some brass (100) rounded up the other day. I have on hand primers, suitable powders and such. Will order some dies soon. I cleaned the little 94 tonight, bore was actually pretty dirty, quite a bit of copper fouling. I think I got it all but will run a couple more patches tomorrow after letting her soak over night. I am not in a giant panic to get this thing going yet, as I have 3 other projects in line before it but I certainly appreciate everyones helpful hints, comments and offers. Thanks guys. JW