PDA

View Full Version : Cat sneeze .44 loads

Any Cal.
01-13-2013, 06:30 PM
Trying this out.

1g Bullseye,Lee310, impromptu barrel slug and measure.

1.5g Bullseye, Lee 310, quieter than a nail gun. Will play with this one more.

1.8g Bullseye, RD265, like a standard velocity .22 1.8 is smallest Lee PPM will throw. Rang ears slightly w/ no protection.

Any other thoughts or ideas? Used Special cases. No chrono 'cause the drizzle.

TXGunNut
01-13-2013, 06:50 PM
Think I might try something like that in my 45 Colt. Neighbor's dogs are terrorizing my little mouser cat.

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 11:26 PM
I tried loads similar to those (1.3 grains Bullseye, as I recall) in a .357 Magnum some years ago, and had the first boolit stick in the forcing cone, locking up the cylinder (more excitement than I want, trying to find a way to drive the boolit back into the case far enough to open the cylinder and unload).

Round balls sized to fit your throats, charges similar to those listed, and a light wax dip (or tumble lube the balls before loading) have a long history; nothing much to be gained by shooting a heavy boolit at even lower velocity.

helice
01-14-2013, 01:43 AM
Has any one done this with Red Dot? Or 700X?

Any Cal.
01-14-2013, 02:25 AM
I tried loads similar to those (1.3 grains Bullseye, as I recall) in a .357 Magnum some years ago, and had the first boolit stick in the forcing cone, locking up the cylinder (more excitement than I want, trying to find a way to drive the boolit back into the case far enough to open the cylinder and unload).

Round balls sized to fit your throats, charges similar to those listed, and a light wax dip (or tumble lube the balls before loading) have a long history; nothing much to be gained by shooting a heavy boolit at even lower velocity.

I figure the heavy boolit would give a longer burn time, a more complete burn, and give more time for gasses to cool in the barrel, ideally so there would be less noise and muzzle pressure. Whether it actually works like that or not is a whole 'nuther question...:-)

I'll Make Mine
01-14-2013, 02:07 PM
With a fast burning powder, you get an essentially complete burn even under a light bullet in a short barrel; Bullseye gives as good as burn as you're going to get even in two inches, and a heavier bullet doesn't really change things. Less muzzle pressure, sure, but under two grains of Bullseye is little enough in a .44 that I'd be very, very concerned about bullets lodging in the bore (that goes double-plus if you have a load that's quieter than a .22 rifle even when it works right). Someone posted a photo on one of the "kaboom" threads in the last couple days of a sectioned revolver barrel clearly showing six jackets embedded in a solid column of lead...

Any Cal.
01-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Saw the pic, I'm trying not to do that.:-)

1.5g seems to give plenty of margin, 1.05g is probably the point where the boolit would stick halfway out the end. Working for the low muzzle pressure for quiet, if it is loud I could shoot regular loads.

Tried to chrono the last 1.5g load, guess the battery is dead 'cause it said I was getting 2107 fps... think of the speed I could get w/ 1.6g...:-)

ironhead7544
01-14-2013, 07:37 PM
I have used 3.0 gr of Unique in a Ruger M77/44 with a generic 300 gr TC bullet. 2.5 gr stuck in the barrel. Unique is one of the standards for cat sneeze. Using 38 spl 158 gr cast bullets in a 358 Win gives nice quiet loads at the same velocity of a 38 Special 4 inch revolver.

BCRider
01-15-2013, 01:58 AM
.....Tried to chrono the last 1.5g load, guess the battery is dead 'cause it said I was getting 2107 fps... think of the speed I could get w/ 1.6g...:-)

I think you missed seeing the decimal point.... :D

To keep things as quiet as possible you want the pressure to be low when the bullet leaves the muzzle. The problem with cat sneeze rounds in a BIG case like a .44Mag is that you need a pretty good amount of gas to get the projectile up to speed as the chamber pressure won't be that high with all that room. On the other hand if you used a .430 soft round ball and push it further into the case to cut the volume in half a dusting of some thing like Bullseye will generate more pressure to get things moving faster that much sooner and then it can coast the last little way before exiting the bore. By providing for the pressure to START higher by pushing the ball in further you can have a lower final pressure and thus audible report.

Of course the other issue is the cylinder gap. Much of the crack is coming from that and not from the muzzle even with your present setup. It's the same reason why revolvers really don't benefit much from running a suppresor.

Any Cal.
01-15-2013, 03:43 AM
That makes sense. I am doing this in a rifle though, and with 310g bullets seated to the upper crimp groove in Special brass, I don't think the volume is real high in the case.

I don't have any Unique to try, could give it a shot w/ 7625 if there is a point, I just assumed the fastest powders would be quietest.

A while back I tried something similar w/ an '06 loaded w/ a .311 round ball. It worked ok with .6g or so, but was still fairly loud Would blow through a 2x6 though.

bobthenailer
01-15-2013, 10:54 AM
Seat the bullet nose first in the case to the same seating depth as a WC bullet ,to give you the velocity you need and a very Quiet load .
This procedure was in LBT's book on cast bullets , 1st edtion.
Load the heaviest bullet avalible, seat them in the case nose first almost flush with the case & crimp
use the smallest case that will fit your chamber 38 in 357 , 44 special in 44 mag ect
usually shorter barrels give higher velocties , because of friction

38 special revolver with a 3 inch barrel , 180 gr cast bullets , loaded as stated above , in 38 special cases using BULLSEYE POWDER

Starting load 0.6 gr of BE @400fps . will pentrate a 1 " pine board and group around 1 1/4 " at 15 yards , slightly louder than a air rifle. Bullet may stick in the barrel of some guns !!

1.2gr of BE @ 500 fps accurate , will shoot to point of aim at 25 yards , sounds like a 22 short.

1.6 gr Of BE@600 fps accurate ,

2.5 gr of BE @800 fps, top load for accuracy.

lighter bullets gave the same velocity but more noise, all losds listed gave much lower velocity and more noise when the bullet is shot point forward.

I personaly shot alot of the 1.2gr load with 158 gr swc seated as stated above , you dont need ear plugs as there is not the normal crack sound when shooting.

Lonegun1894
01-15-2013, 10:59 AM
Not a levergun, but I use 2.7grs Unique to push a 240gr Lee SWC out of a H&R Handi-Rifle single shot with a 22" barrel, and this load is quieter than my .22 rifle firing shorts. I have tried this with both .44 Spl and .44 Mag brass, and it is definitely quieter with the mag brass. I dont think there is much space left inside that case when it is loaded with a 240 gr boolit. I use the same load to push a 90gr Lee SWC .314 sized down to .311" in a .30-06 for the same purpose, and I'm pretty sure it is even quieter than the .44, but not by much. And as has been said, these loads do penetrate so be careful and watch your backstop, cause you will very likely need one. Now I have used this for backyard pest control, but have the neighbors convinced that I use my pellet rifle, so y'all better not tell em any different. :)

Silvercreek Farmer
01-17-2013, 03:07 PM
You said 1.8 grains rang your ears a bit. Where you shooting inside?

Any Cal.
01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
You said 1.8 grains rang your ears a bit. Where you shooting inside?

No, outside w/ no ear protection. It wasn't bad, just not comfortable. The 1.5g load was more like a nail gun or something, it was not nearly as sharp of a report.

phaessler
01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
I am intrigued,,,as winter boredom, and our first"almost snow" is happening.
I have also shot 3gn Unique from a .30-30 with a .309 ball, wasnt to quiet as I had hoped.

old and wise
01-17-2013, 07:55 PM
2.7 g BE below 148 wc in 38spl. case very accurate.that was a 22 short case holds