PDA

View Full Version : Tueday at the range 7-26-05, and some surplus powder data

Buckshot
07-27-2005, 01:27 AM
.............I had 100 rounds of 7.5 Swiss to get fired off in case forming duties. I only got 60 of them fired, mostly at the 200 meter gong. I did fire a couple 10 rounds groups at 50 yards and the K31 was NOT disappointing at all.

I had mentioned getting some surplus Nobel Tubal 2000 from Graf and Son in hopes that it would be like 4198 in speed, due to it's description. As it turns out, it duplicated H4198. I forgot my range book so was writing the data down on the back of a target. Danged if I didn't do something with it so I can't find it now [smilie=b:

I did show the results to Deputy Al too. I'd loaded 10 rounds of 23.0grs of each plus dacron, in the 30-06 under the Ly311284. I remember the average velocities:

H4198: 1687.5
Tubal : 1688.8 for a 1.3 fps difference!

SD for H4198 was 7.8
SD for Tubal was 7.5

ES for H4198 was 37 something
ES for Tubal was 14.6

I had also loaded the Tubal up (10 rnds each) of 26.0, 29.0, and 32.0 grs. The average for the last 10 rounds was 2076 fps and 12.4 ES and the SD was low but I forget now what it was. The 29.0 gr loading had a average velocity something like 1890 fps. Firing was done out of my M1917.

Anyone out there who likes 4198, ya orta getchrsef some of this stuff. At Graf & Son, dealer price $61/8lb.

One of our original Tuesday Burrito Invitational shooters, Ron (In fact, he thought up the name) and a founding member of the Rooles Kommittee put in an appearance for the shoot. I spent a goodly part of the day just BS-ing. He's been busy selling off rentals and shagging back and forth between here and Prescott, AZ where he'd bought some property several years ago. He's also bought a house there and will be departing So. California for good, come October.

You guys in Arizona are getting another pro-gun conservative and active NRA member. We really can't afford to loose many as it is, but I can sure understand his leaving!

Even Shooter451 showed up, but he didn't shoot. Just stopped by to eat a burrito with us and then had to leave a bit after that. He said his students were getting him down. From 37 he's down to 15 and said he'll lose some more after finals (or was it mid-terms?). He's an RN teaching LVN's.

Drum roll please! There were 5 of us shooting the match and Deputy Al won. He edged ole Glen out by an X. Al had 2 and Glen had none. As for me, I just wasn't doing anything right it seemed. While I didn't fire a no score, I did manage to visit pretty much all the points on the target. I shot a M96 Swede, 34.0 WC872, Ly 268645. Ron shot a nice group, it was just in the wrong spot :). He shot a M38 Turk with the Lee 175gr and some charge of 700X.

I don't recall what Larry shot, Glen used his 03 Sporter. We all had a good time, and that's what counts I guess, although I could have USED that 5 bucks riding on the line. Oh well!

.............Buckshot

9.3X62AL
07-27-2005, 02:27 AM
Judging by the data that Buckshot showed me from the Tubal powder--if it isn't H-4198 in disguise, it should be.

That K-31 was a real smooth ride, all right. Kinda sorry I didn't grab one--but I already have enough weird-assed calibers and brass acquisition challenges. I don't need another one that requires a hard to find parent case (284 Win) from which to form usable brass.

I brought along the G98/40 (8 x 57) as a match gun today, but the Ruger #1 in 45-70 shot so damn well during preliminary sight-in and gong ringings.....I had to shoot the big bore. Load used was a refried version of the old weak (but accurate) target load--Lee 405 Beagled out a bit atop duplexed WC-860 (46.0 grains) prompted by 5.0 grains of IMR-4198 and Fed 215 primers. Formerly, I used 48.0/860--3.0/4198. Today's load seemed to be noticeably stouter than the previous load, although I don't know why a little more initiator and a little less primary charge would produce significantly more velocity or pressure. There was a LOT less unburned powder in the bore after each shot, though. I should have had Buckshot run 5-10 rounds over his chronograph, but there will be more such loadings in the future. They may not be very powerful, but they sure are accurate. I suspect these were at or under 1100 FPS. Just the same, 400+ grains of 45 caliber heavy metal hitting at 3.67 football fields per second likely wouldn't enhance the health of a critter it connected with. Such a load might make good deer medicine.