PDA

View Full Version : single six centerfire conversion

brettb75
01-12-2013, 09:44 AM
I have been considering doing a centerfire conversion on a single six in 32 long. Anyone with tips or tricks would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has done this conversion pictures would be very helpful. And the reason I'm not going to buy one already in centerfire is that I will be doing the conversion myself. Thank everyone for any input. It will be useful

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 02:02 AM
The simplest way to shoot a .32 RF revolver (was the Single Six ever sold in .32 rimfire?) is to get some "everlasting" cartridges from Dixie Gun Works. They have an off center opening for .22 rimfire power loads (the ones used in concrete nailers) and shoot buckshot or round balls. Load 'em in with the power load under the firing pin (outer edge of the cylinder in that revolver, I expect), pop 'em off, and then pop out the power shell, push in another, thumb in another ball (sized, if needed, beforehand), and load into the cylinder again. You'd spend about $30 plus shipping for six of those (or $25 for five, if you're sensible and don't load a round under the hammer of that old piece).

Failing the simple way, you're looking at some serious gunsmithing to offset the firing pin in a Single Six; the least complicated method would require cutting a slot in the frame, clipping the tip of the firing pin, and soldering on a side piece to strike the center primer -- but cutting the slot in the frame looks like an interesting job.

Now, if your Single Six is .22 LR or .22 Magnum, it's probably significantly cheaper to buy a .32 H&R Mag or .327 Single Six than to rebarrel and convert to centerfire -- not to mention a .22 version may not have the same metal and heat treat state in the frame, so might have a short life in .32.

Nobade
01-13-2013, 09:25 AM
I haven't looked at the difference in how the rimfire and centerfire frames handle the firing pin, but do know Ham Bowen and others do this conversion regularly. If the frame doesn't have a removable bushing I would suppose you would be looking at making a guide bushing to replace the barrel that would pilot your cutter into the frame to drill and tap it for a removable firing pin bushing. Once you got that licked it's just a matter of having the barrel rebored and rechambering the cylinder. Likely you'll have to mess around with the cylinder to get the right headspace but that's all part of the job.

I have often thought that building a 5 shot cylinder for one of those to shoot 38 spl. would be pretty neat. Kind of like a miniature Linebaugh conversion on the big frame guns. That would be a good thought provoking project to figure out how to build a cylinder. Once the jigs were made it wouldn't be too tough to make more, just the first one would take a bit of work.

Willbird
01-13-2013, 12:52 PM
I haven't looked at the difference in how the rimfire and centerfire frames handle the firing pin, but do know Ham Bowen and others do this conversion regularly. If the frame doesn't have a removable bushing I would suppose you would be looking at making a guide bushing to replace the barrel that would pilot your cutter into the frame to drill and tap it for a removable firing pin bushing. Once you got that licked it's just a matter of having the barrel rebored and rechambering the cylinder. Likely you'll have to mess around with the cylinder to get the right headspace but that's all part of the job.

I have often thought that building a 5 shot cylinder for one of those to shoot 38 spl. would be pretty neat. Kind of like a miniature Linebaugh conversion on the big frame guns. That would be a good thought provoking project to figure out how to build a cylinder. Once the jigs were made it wouldn't be too tough to make more, just the first one would take a bit of work.

I talked to a guy once about another issue and the conversation drifted to S7 steel and he said he had made a few 5 shot 357 magnum cylinders for single six revolvers from S7 steel. The guy in question had some kind of BR for score rifle in 30-30 he built to prove any ctg can be accurate. He did go and shoot some BR for group matches, at least one to prove the rifle was as accurate as any other hunter class BR rifle.

kywoodwrkr
01-14-2013, 01:28 PM
For Cylinder work, this is fairly good synopsis of the process.
Firing pin alteration may be found elsewhere at this forum possibly.
FWIW
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=54775
I did not find much information in Kuhnhausen's book on Ruger Single Actions FWIW.
For 22's/32H&Rs that is.
Lacking some other very important dimension data as well for BlackHawks.
But it is helpful.

Bullshop
01-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Bullshop
01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
brettb75
Please forgive me, after our pm exchange I simply forgot to do these pictures. Actually I did try but the camera battery was dead then after charging it I forgot. Sorry!!!!
If you look at the fixed sight gun you can see from the side view how the fireing pin bushing retaining pin was lowered. On the adjustable sight gun the retaining pin goes down from under the rear sight so you dont see it.
I tried to get a pic of the breach face so you can see the face of the bushing.
The parts used in this conversion consist of retaining pin, bushing, fireing pin, and return spring, a very simple arangment. The bushing is a cup with a hole in center. The fireing pin is headed with the return spring slipping over the fireing pit to bottom on the head.
The person that did the work rigged up a jig to hold the frames so he could relocate the bushing hole.
The fixed sight gun is a 22 ccm he had done about 40 years ago and put in a drawer. He told me about it in a casual conversation and called it a 22 velodog. I expressed an interest to pick up where he had left off and eventualy we made a trade. It had worn the stag grips all those years from new.
The adjustable sight gun was converted to certer fire by the same person at my request when I wanted a 32. It is a 32 H&R mag now. He charged $60.00 for the center fire conversion on that frame.
I like them both especially the 32.

Reg
01-14-2013, 05:22 PM
I sure don't mean to hijack this thread but do have a question that might go along with it.

At first I would have thought it would not have been a good idea to take a standard Single Six and convert it to a center fire but it appears I am wrong on this one as it is being done. Good !!
I would have thought that heat treating issues would have come up and the standard Ruger frame would not be usable for this conversion but it appears the standard frame is a lot stronger than at least I would have given it credit for, good again !!
My question is---- if in fact these frames are a lot stronger than we think, me at least, what about the frame that is used on the Vaquaro in 32 H&R Mag ?
I have one and really like it but do not like the open sights and wished I had got the SSM with the adjustable sights but they were not available when I got mine and now are very pricy.
Has anyone come up with a adjustable sight conversion for the small frame Rugers.
I have thought of getting a S&W rear sight off a J frame and milling out the Ruger frame to accept it but am worried that it would remove too much metal. The front sight would be no problem, would just make a new long range sight ala Keith.
All of this might go along with the center fire conversion.
Any ideas ?? Thoughts ???
Thanks

:???::???:

PS.

Do need to keep in mind that on occasion I do fire a few Paco Kelly loads, not the full 10 grain load but 9 grains for sure.
I could live without them if I had to.

Bullshop
01-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Good question that I have no answer for. Seemd to me there is not all that much stress at that location but my thoughts mean little in the real world.
I dont know about the little Rugers but long ago I asked this question to the folks at Freedom Arms about converting a fixed sight to adjustable. They said dont do it because pressure bla bla bla!!!
I was told the same thig by John Shofstall when I asked if he would convert a 22rf on one of his 1875 models to 22 hornet. He said we wont/cant do it because pressure bla bla bla. I asked him to not insult me because we both know better.
The 1875 is now a 22 hornet so take that for what its worth.

Willbird
01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
Back in the day there were a lot of these done to K-Chuck...a shortened blown out 22 hornet ?? One guy I knew who did a LOT of them said they used to buy 22 magnum bullets as componants, 50 to a box, they were the heart and soul of the deal really becsause back then there simply was no other bullet as good. Even the rem,speer, and hornady "jet" bullets he said were not nearly as good. Well the bullets supply dried up..whichever co was selling them as components stopped doing so.

From what I read the 327 magum is too long for the single six cyl, so if that ctg caught hold and they stretched the gun a little, then you could buy a cfire and have a new cyl fit for a 327 necked down to 22, and a new barrel, and maybe have something :-).

Bullshop
01-15-2013, 11:03 AM
The 327 can be made to fit the single six frame. It is done by keeping the forcing cone fully inside the frame with nothing extending past the inside of the frame. With the barrel fit this way a longer cylinder long enough to house the 327 can be made to fit the frame. They are doing the same thing with 5 shot 38 special cylinders on the single six frame. Expensive yes but can be done.

Willbird
01-15-2013, 12:31 PM
The 327 can be made to fit the single six frame. It is done by keeping the forcing cone fully inside the frame with nothing extending past the inside of the frame. With the barrel fit this way a longer cylinder long enough to house the 327 can be made to fit the frame. They are doing the same thing with 5 shot 38 special cylinders on the single six frame. Expensive yes but can be done.

Well in the end it just does not "look right" :-). I'm not sure where the ctg is going, starline has brass now. heck they have an 8 shot N frame 357, so what would a 327 N frame be 9 or 10 ??

Bill

Bullshop
01-15-2013, 01:01 PM
10 shot cylinder might be on the list for banning. Clip, mag, cylinder all the same.

Willbird
01-15-2013, 01:44 PM
10 shot cylinder might be on the list for banning. Clip, mag, cylinder all the same.In NY for sure, even the 8 shot N frame, and the old 9 shot H&R revolvers ?? They are talking a ban of anything over 7 rounds.