PDA

View Full Version : I'm putting my money where my mouth is, will you?

geargnasher
01-11-2013, 11:59 PM
Lots of talk about the record NRA membership applications, and how every gun owner in America ought to be one. It came to my attention yesterday that one of our members can't afford the dues. If he'll accept it, and the staff doesn't object, I'd like to start a small collection for Gray Wolf so he can join the NRA or another pro-gun lobbying organization of his choice.

I put up $5, and TCFAN also volunteered $5. A few more and we'll have it, any extra I'd ask Gray Wolf to forward to the organization or if his wife is agreeable to it perhaps sponsor her as well.

I'm planning on sending money directly to him, our history here with "Sam" is solid.

Gear

Here's a link to the thread where this came up: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?178459-Call-Me-Funny-but#post1999789

01-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Gear,
I'm in.

If someone will PM me with his address, I'd appreciate it.

geargnasher
01-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks, 462. Right now I'd just like to get commitments until I hear back from Sam, he might not want to give out his address willy-nilly, but I figured just a few of us friends is all it would take and nobody would have to honcho the donation.

Gear

Mrs.Geargnasher
01-12-2013, 12:20 AM
I'm in.

SP5315
01-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Count me in.

theperfessor
01-12-2013, 12:29 AM
I'm on board.

nhrifle
01-12-2013, 12:38 AM
Let me know where and when to send it.

TCFAN
01-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Like I said in the other tread let me know where to send the funds.......Terry

2wheelDuke
01-12-2013, 02:23 AM
You can send the money directly to the NRA to gift him a membership for $20 right now.

http://www.nra-2013.org/

geargnasher
01-12-2013, 02:30 AM
I wondered about that, I was looking at their site a couple of hours ago and figured if nothing else the Mrs and I (or someone else if he'd prefer) could just sign him up and pay for it. If it's $20 to gift it, one more $5 donation and we can sign Julie for a year as well if she wants.

Gear

Valley Forge
01-12-2013, 02:54 AM
I'm in as well.

theperfessor
01-12-2013, 10:06 AM
How much is a life membership now?

Larry Gibson
01-12-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm in

Larry Gibson

Wayne Smith
01-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Looks like it's done. I got here late. Had to figure out how to disable Java. If you need more let me know.

fishnbob
01-12-2013, 10:41 AM
How much is a life membership now?

There is a special going on now for $300 and the toll free number is 1-888-678-7894. There is a thread on it at the bottom of the page after swapping & selling in either the Political or Humor section.

It is in the Swapping & Selling Section!

cbrick
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I wondered about that, I was looking at their site a couple of hours ago and figured if nothing else the Mrs and I (or someone else if he'd prefer) could just sign him up and pay for it. If it's $20 to gift it, one more $5 donation and we can sign Julie for a year as well if she wants. Gear

This is a good idea but I think it would work much smoother were you to get all the needed info from Sam & wife and sign them up as opposed to scattered donations and sam sending info to many people.

I'll kick in as well, post here if your going to honcho it. I think I still have your address in a PM.

By the way, did you get your boolits?

Rick

alrighty
01-12-2013, 11:49 AM
Great Idea , send me a p.m. if I can help.

gray wolf
01-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Well men I am honored,
I sure do accept the invitation. I want to show as much support as everyone else.
I was gonna put a few more of my bullets up for the fee but the supply is to low.
This is great and I will proudly put up the sticker near my avatar.
Just tell me what you want me to do.
Remember Men, I am 71 in another month. But I can still make muster and fall in.

Sam

bfuller14
01-12-2013, 12:10 PM
geargnasher,
I'm in on this. Is there any others that need our support?

Barry

Smitty's Retired
01-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Well, I got to this thread a little late, but congrats to you guys for doing this. And like 2WheelDuke said, any of you that are already NRA members, if you have not gone up on their site, you can gift a membership. So if you know someone who might like to be a member, but can't, this is the time to give. I've already signed up a son-in-law and a friend of mine that I found out were not members.

So Congrats to Gray Wolf, and to Geargnasher and the others for sponsoring him. Just another reason this site is the best.:cast_boolits:

geargnasher
01-12-2013, 02:57 PM
You folks are great, thanks for supporting me in this.

Here's what I come up with:

TCFAN
SP5315
Perfesser
Valley Forge
Larry Gibson
CB Rick
BFuller14
Mr/Mrs Geargnasher

Total of $50 pledged. That is all we need to get Sam and Julie both signed up. The on-line thing might end up being two memberships and a donation for the extra, which might be sort of a pain. How about we each just send our donations directly to Sam and Julie, and they can sign themselves up for $25 per person? The NRA will be getting $50 either way, whether through discount gift membership or them signing up the regular way themselves.

If Sam is agreeable, I'll let him send his addy via PM (or I can do it) to those on the above list.

Alternates/add'l:
Wayne Smith
Alrighty

You two guys pay it forward if you see a need, how's that?

Sam, let us know if you're ok giving your addy to those above so they can send the money right to you, or if you'd rather somebody honcho it.

Gear

PS, Rick, heck yeah I got the boolits, mighty kind of you, and thanks. I already dummied a couple up and they look to be just about right for all of my .45 Colts, when the weather clears a bit I'm going to shoot some. Will keep you posted.

gray wolf
01-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Anyone that wishes to help with the membership can PM me and I will be happy to give them Julie's Pay pal or our address. This is a wonderful post holiday present for us.
a special thanks to Gear, and all you fine, great, thoughtful, folks.

btroj
01-12-2013, 03:08 PM
I am in too. Maybe we can get enough for a 2 or 3 year sign up?

41 mag fan
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
I haven't got much to being off for knee surgery and only getting 60% pay off of workers comp..ouch! but Sam send me the paypal addy via pm and i'll send what i can to help. I'll send it via gift so it wont cost anyone money that way.

Heck of a thing you did here Gear. My hats off to you.

Chicken Thief
01-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Im confused!
When i go to the NRA site they state a membership is $35/yr and a lifetime is $1000.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=nranews

Am i missing something?

captaint
01-12-2013, 05:20 PM
I just arrived at the party. I'd like to throw my 5 bux in. I'll PM Sam for Julie's Pay Pal thing and well be good. One thing though, Sam, One of these days I'm gonna get you to school me further on the 1911's. I know you're way ahead of me. I'll be in touch. Mike

SP5315
01-12-2013, 05:28 PM
Looking forward to seeing that new red NRA sticker under Gray Wolf's Handle.

gray wolf
01-12-2013, 06:00 PM
gonna get you to school me further on the 1911's. I know you're way ahead of me. I'll be in touch. Mike
Anytime my friend----anytime at all.

captaint
01-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Done deal. You go Sam & Julie. Glad to do it. I mean that. enjoy Mike

gray wolf
01-12-2013, 09:55 PM
Well men we got some cards and letters coming in the mail, and a couple of P-pals.
As soon as we get the cost of the membership/ ships we will send it in and up goes the sticker.
So a big thank you to everyone,
( Julie wants a hat ) Ha, ha, and stickers for everything that needs stick-en.
Be keeping you posted.

Sam

41 mag fan
01-12-2013, 10:02 PM
Sam,
Money sent for you and Julies membership. Hope it'll help you get an extra yrs worth with everyone pitching in.

DIRT Farmer
01-12-2013, 11:54 PM
As late as I am, I guess I will just send in a little more for a donation.

Valley Forge
01-13-2013, 04:43 PM
Done deal.

Gliden07
01-13-2013, 11:58 PM
You can also get an associate Membership for $10 a year!! If you don't feel you can afford the regular membership, the difference is you don't get a Magazine.

Use this link to get to Membership page, click on Junior membership banner (right of regular banner) the last option in the first column is the Associate membership $10.

https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=nranews

gray wolf
01-14-2013, 01:15 PM
This is what I found from the link above, I/we me and Julie do not want to offend anyone or do the wrong thing with someone else money.
We have some pay pal donations and some coming in the mail, my idea was to hold off for a week, get it all together, acquire a membership and give the remaining money back.
Now it seems there are questions and advise as to what we should do.
Will someone please tell me what to do so this goes smoothly and no one is offended and we do the right thing.
Other than that we will give it a week to see what comes in the mail, get back to you all and then you can tell me what to do.
Our priority here is to not do the wrong thing and have an outcome that leaves everyone HAPPY.
Sam

1 Year Membership - $35.00 Junior Life Membership - $550.00
(under age 15 Insights only,
age 15 and older magazine choice)
2 Year Membership - $60.00 EPL Junior Life Membership - $550.00
(22 quarterly payments of $25)
3 Year Membership - $85.00 EPL Junior Life Membership - $550.00
(22 monthly payments of $25)
5 Year Membership - $125.00 1 Year Associate Membership - $10.00
(no magazine)
Life Membership - $1,000.00 1 Year Distinguished Membership - $30.00
(age 65+ or Disabled Veteran)
EPL Life Membership - $1,000.00
(40 quarterly payments of $25) Distinguished Life Membership - $375.00
EPL Life Membership - $1,000.00
(40 monthly payments of $25) EPL Distinguished Life Membership - $375.00
(15 quarterly payments of $25)
1 Year Junior Membership - $15.00
age 15 and older magazine choice) EPL Distinguished Life Membership - $375.00
(15 monthly payments of $25)

farmall666
01-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Use this link. $25 membership and get a $25 bass pro gift card.
https://membership.nrahq.org/forms/signup.asp?CampaignID=bassprowy&EK=Y1CWPPAD&pubID=%20217.AAG&hid=4487688

cbrick
01-14-2013, 03:03 PM
Well Sam, your gonna have to wait an extra day for the envelope from me. My mail comes between 11:30 and 12:00 every day. Today I took your envelope out to the mail box at 11:00 and he had already been here.

Rick

01-14-2013, 03:22 PM
Sam,

Mine will be going out tomorrow, too.

TCFAN
01-14-2013, 05:23 PM
Sam mine will go out tomorrow morning.Also check out that link that farmall666 put up......Terry

Echo
01-14-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm in, and need an Email address for my PayPal donation, GW,

Gator 45/70
01-14-2013, 07:48 PM
In...Need address or account to donate to La Gris Loup.

geargnasher
01-15-2013, 01:35 AM
Here's what I propose: Since this took off a bit past what I imagined it would, let's establish a cutoff date, say in another few days, and then wait 'till the end of this month for it all to trickle in and be accounted for. If, by the end of the month, Sam and Julie have enough for a two-year membership for each, or two for one and one for the other, however it works out, then let them buy as much membership as they can. Any extra or odd amounts, DONATE to the NRA as an additional. Something tells me the NRA will accept an extra five or ten bucks, and the whole point of being an NRA member is to support the organization's activities financially, no?

So basically let's just get Sam and Julie signed up and let them donate the rest, does that work for everyone here who's pledged $5 to the cause?

How about Friday evening this week being a cutoff point for sending money? We already have plenty for two, one-year memberships plus extra, I haven't tallied it but there might be enough to get them both two-year memberships. I'd like for that to be the goal if there's enough interest, but I'll leave that up to those who have already donated, and any others who may yet wish to contribute as well.

Gear

Valley Forge
01-15-2013, 01:44 AM
Gear - That sounds good to me.

starreloader
01-15-2013, 02:50 AM
Gear, count me in on this donation, just need to know where to send the funds...

This may very well be the "Time" for all of us.... Going to a SECOND AMENDMENT FREEDOM RALLEY on Jan 20th, past NRA President John Sigler and current NRA President David Keene will be there as speakers... John and I shot against each other in police matches many years ago..

01-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Gear,
I'm agreeable.

Sam,
The letter's waiting for the mailman. Coast-to-coast -- about five days.

DLCTEX
01-15-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm in. Sam, PM me the address for PPal.

SP5315
01-15-2013, 02:16 PM
I think it would be outstanding if both Sam and Julie ended up with multiple year memberships when all is said and done.

Roundnoser
01-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Gray Wolf is a good guy! Can't wait to see the NRA banner next to his avitar.

geargnasher
01-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Gear, count me in on this donation, just need to know where to send the funds...

This may very well be the "Time" for all of us.... Going to a SECOND AMENDMENT FREEDOM RALLEY on Jan 20th, past NRA President John Sigler and current NRA President David Keene will be there as speakers... John and I shot against each other in police matches many years ago..

PM Gray Wolf for his mailing addy...

Gear

gray wolf
01-17-2013, 12:07 PM
Here's what I propose: Since this took off a bit past what I imagined it would, let's establish a cutoff date, say in another few days, and then wait 'till the end of this month for it all to trickle in and be accounted for. If, by the end of the month, Sam and Julie have enough for a two-year membership for each, or two for one and one for the other, however it works out, then let them buy as much membership as they can. Any extra or odd amounts, DONATE to the NRA as an additional. Something tells me the NRA will accept an extra five or ten bucks, and the whole point of being an NRA member is to support the organization's activities financially, no?

So basically let's just get Sam and Julie signed up and let them donate the rest, does that work for everyone here who's pledged $5 to the cause?

How about Friday evening this week being a cutoff point for sending money? We already have plenty for two, one-year memberships plus extra, I haven't tallied it but there might be enough to get them both two-year memberships. I'd like for that to be the goal if there's enough interest, but I'll leave that up to those who have already donated, and any others who may yet wish to contribute as well.

Gear

That is just fine with us--just fine. We will get at least a 2 year membership, and any other money for the NRA will go back to the NRA. I do have a request Would it be OK if I used a little of the money to get NRA material that I can use as study material, I can use it to teach people at the range and perhaps as hand outs for kids and other new shooters, I think there will be a lot of them this summer at my range. It seems there are many new folks coming to the shooting sports, and I have seen a lot that really need the help.
Sometimes when I try to help people they look at me like ( who the heck are you ? )
But if I could hand them something I think it would help.
Do you guys think this is acceptable ? the money goes to the NRA no matter what anyway.
Please let me know.

Sam

cbrick
01-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Fine by me Sam.

Rick

geargnasher
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
Works for me, and thank you Sam for promoting the shooting sports. I feel that learning to be a competent and safe firearm owner is not only an American privilege, but a responsibility as a citizen. They ought to teach at least air rifle shooting as a class in high school, right along with typing and English, those life skills everyone will need at some point.

Gear

Valley Forge
01-17-2013, 10:06 PM
I'm all for it. Good Idea!

01-17-2013, 11:15 PM
That's an excellent idea, Sam.

theperfessor
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
Right on Sam.

gray wolf
01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Men I am going to do this or bust, it may be my last Rodeo but I am going to get on the biggest
meanest bronc and ride him till he trots.
I thank you for the support and I ain't gonna let no one down, I never learned how to do that.

Sam--in the mountains of Maine

gray wolf
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
OK, I contacted the NRA two times so far and this is what I found out.
No problem to join, but they do not have any material that can be handed out to new shooters
in the form of a free handout. Also in order for me to be a certified pistol instructor I have to take a two day course given by one of there instructors, the cost could be as much as $150 to 200$$
There are none of these folks within a reasonable distance from me. There are two that are about a 200 mile round trip, it's a two day gig and at this point it will be impossible to do.
So I guess I will continue to offer help to folks on my dime and do what I can for the kids
that show up with parents at the range. I have been doing this anyway, and have helped many a new and old shooter, I guess that's the point of the whole thing anyway--right ?--
I don't care when a person that really shows an interest shoots up some of my ammo,
hey they have been doing it for a while now anyway. It's important to me they learn safety and
can have a chance to see improvements in there shooting. If they want to know about casting bullets -- well that's a plus.
So we will probly submit the applications on or about Monday, Someone has offered to help us do this and to join GOA also. That will be separate from the NRA membership cause it was not discussed as a group when we started this.