PDA

View Full Version : Old Mold for new Caliber

Texan1650
01-11-2013, 10:13 PM
I have been wanting a old colonial looking round ball mold with the spru (sp?) cutter as part of the handles to put in my possibles bag. Now I use a 50 and 54 new made flintlock rifles. I have seen the molds at Track of the Wolf. Does anyone have any experience with this mold from track or know of a better place to get one?

fouronesix
01-11-2013, 10:27 PM
I think you are talking about bag molds- I've seen them at both TOTW and Dixie. Some come with the sprue cutter on the handles and some don't. The ones that don't you'll either have to use a knife (kinda hard to do well) or some snips to remove the sprue. They require a good heavy glove to use them- hot!. I have a couple of them in different calibers. While they are period correct and handy, I have always had a hard time getting full fill-out with them.

DIRT Farmer
01-11-2013, 11:42 PM
They look cool when melting toy soldiors before the battle. I have few, they stay in the box at home.

Texan1650
01-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Thanks

moon
01-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Bewst to use soft lead and let the mould get hot--sometimes it takes a little for them to drop right. Keep trying

OverMax
01-14-2013, 09:54 PM
The pliers types. Their handles are not insulated. Thus you mostly will see a wrinkled looking cast ball if not having gloves on. I know of no one who has quench their plier mold into water to cool. But I've seen one who took his mold and threw it beyond the point of finding once. You might say He was a little disappointed with his molds heating situation. i.e. >Too hot to handle!!