PDA

View Full Version : Cast Bullets & Load Data for Colt 1862 Police .36:

10851Man
01-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Greetings,

Hawg Haggen over at TFL suggested I join up here, so I am looking to purchase some bullets for my new Pietta .36 caliber, which I am told likes the .375" variants.

Bottom line, I am looking for some good cast conicals and balls for this gun and would welcome any advice you have with regard to a good load behind each of these projectiles, along with bullet grain weights too.

Thanks...

P.K.
01-11-2013, 05:29 PM
Lee offers one for your weapon. It's a single cav. 130 gr. connical. They also offer a double cav. RB mold both for around $18.00.

As for buying some, head to the Swappin and Selling area, there is a section for the "Want to Buy" items.

Oh and welcome to Cast Boolits!

Mike Brooks
01-11-2013, 07:40 PM
I have never shot conicals, just RB. use about 15grs powder, probably 3fff.

nicholst55
01-11-2013, 08:41 PM
I have a similar pistol, and 21 grains as a MAX charge with a round ball sticks in my mind. As a kid, I tried more powder, but accuracy went away pretty quick. I'm probably lucky the gun held together, but I haven't fired it 30+ years.

Omnivore
01-11-2013, 09:11 PM
I recently got a 1861 Navy, and tried the Lee 130 gr conical, and some cast round balls. Both delivered about the same accuracy (about 3 to 4 inches at 25, in the initial test) and hit very near to the same spot. My Navy chambers overflow when using the 27 grain spout, but 21 grains works or it would take a little bit more. I assume the Police will take somewhat less powder, and being a bit lighter, it may shoot slightly higher when using the heavier conicals. It was not uncommon to fill the chambers with powder, leaving just enough room for the projectile to seat below the cylinder face. Otherwise they would have made the chambers shorter, thus saving some weight and material expense.

Lee's molds are a bit more than 18 dollars any place I've looked.

gandydancer
01-11-2013, 09:20 PM
check it out. GD info@factorysales.com

I recently got a 1861 Navy, and tried the Lee 130 gr conical, and some cast round balls. Both delivered about the same accuracy (about 3 to 4 inches at 25, in the initial test) and hit very near to the same spot. My Navy chambers overflow when using the 27 grain spout, but 21 grains works or it would take a little bit more. I assume the Police will take somewhat less powder, and being a bit lighter, it may shoot slightly higher when using the heavier conicals. It was not uncommon to fill the chambers with powder, leaving just enough room for the projectile to seat below the cylinder face. Otherwise they would have made the chambers shorter, thus saving some weight and material expense.

Lee's molds are a bit more than 18 dollars any place I've looked.

fouronesix
01-11-2013, 09:54 PM
If I were just starting out with that revolver I'd either get 100 Hornady .375 RBs or the Lee .375 RB mold. Use pure or near pure lead. Load with about 15 gr FFF blackpowder and ram the balls down to touch the powder. A lead ring should shave off as each ball is seated. Just remove the rings. There should be some space above the balls. Use your finger to fill that space with Crisco. Cap the nipples and shoot. Should take a #10 cap? Make sure the caps fit correctly and are all the way down on the nipples. Clean gun completely after shooting. You probably won't gain much by using the short conicals. If everything is at it should be with the revolver, the roundballs will do fine.

Nobade
01-11-2013, 10:01 PM
My Uberti '62 police gets fed .380" balls cast from a Lee mould, and 20 gr. FFFg. CCI #11 caps to light it off, and a lubed felt wad under the ball. Works great!