PDA

View Full Version : Remington CDL

larry4831
07-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I am thinking about buying a remington CDL in a regular carbon blued barrel and wood stock. The guy at the sporting counter told me nobody in Alaska wants them. they all want stainless barrels and synthetic stocks. I'm from PA and have hunted for years with wood and regular steel and never had a problem and it rains a lot there in hunting season. What do some of you readers think?

45nut
07-08-2007, 07:42 PM
blued steel and wood did the job for a few hundred years ,,,go with your heart. The gun isn't for "the other guys" anyway.
And Welcome to CB :cbpour:

Ricochet
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
What he said. :-D

RugerFan
07-08-2007, 09:24 PM
I lived in Alaska for 5 years and did plenty of hunting with blued firearms (and wood stocks). I had no problem and neither did any of my hunting buddies. Blued steel is fine as long as you take use common sense and take care of it. Its really not a big deal.

9.3X62AL
07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I'll pile on, in favor of blue steel and wood. The guy I deer hunted with last fall has a CDL in 30-06, and it is one BEAUTIFUL machine. It will group 150 and 165 grain bullets into <1"/5 shots @ 100 yards very reliably, box-stock.

44man
07-09-2007, 08:05 AM
It's a simple fact that some guys don't want to care for their guns, it is a tool to them and gets put away like a greasy wrench.
I am guilty of that and love stainless revolvers but I still prefer blue and wood for a rifle. A good coat of paste wax works great for rainy weather.

Lloyd Smale
07-09-2007, 04:20 PM
ive got a few stainles rifles but i cant get attached to them! Ill take blued and wood guns anyday! A cdl in 35 whelen would be in my opinion one fine alaskan gun!!

Baron von Trollwhack
07-10-2007, 07:16 AM
I have one of those CDLs in the model 7 in 308. Great little rifle for DRY weather. If I hunt on a misty morning or a humid evening it will show rust freckling on the barrel within hours. It's that velvety dull finish I suppose. I did seal all the dry wood under the action. That being said, the trigger on mine was a bit rougher to adjust than normal on a remington, only one lug was bearing till I lapped them, and once I shaved off the remington barrel lump in the stock and shot it 200 times, It started to shoot very niocely with 180BTs. Must be the heavy bullet twist in the extra light gun? Recoil pad is pretty cushy though. BvT

Nazgul
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I have a CDL in 35 Whelen. Really wanted a Whelen for awhile. Even had dies, brass and bullets for it. Found a new CDL at a gunshow and was hooked. You will not regret it.

jhalcott
07-12-2007, 06:10 PM
I've hunted in some really wet areas with blued/ wood guns. If you wax the wood AND metal (Johnsons paste wax works well) you won't have many problems. I have seen stainlees guns with rust on them from lack of cleaning.

Kraschenbirn
07-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Don't have one of the new CDLs, but have two 700 BDLs in carbon steel. I've had the older of the pair (.243 WCF) since the early 70s and it was my main fox/coyote gun for quite a number of years. It's been carried thru rain, snow, sleet, (and any possible combination of the three) without any significant rusting. The other is a McGowan-barreled .308 heavy sporter with a bead-blast black finish. This one's my high-power competition gun and has been dripped with (my) sweat on more unshaded firing lines than I'd care to recall. Same story: no rusting problems as long as it's properly cleaned and wiped down a day's end.

Bill