PDA

View Full Version : Wolfe Ammunition

klw
07-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Last time I paid serious attention, 9mm Luger and 7.62x39 Wolfe Ammunition were $80/thousand. 223 Wolfe ammunition was a little bit more expensive. Now the price has at least doubled. Anyone know why?

Blammer
07-08-2007, 11:04 AM
the war, shortage on lead, shipping, gas price increase... pick one.... :p

klw
07-08-2007, 11:10 AM
How about just greed!

felix
07-08-2007, 11:29 AM
Money all over the world is more of a commodity than one naturally thinks. When money is released from the publishers (computers nowadays), the value of it goes down. When money trades for less than the other commodities, then you can accurately say that the value of money has gone down. So, which is it? Wolf ammo worth more? Not hardly. Money worth less? You bet! This is why is is always best to have a balanced supply of commodities in your home at all times. Some authorities say a six month supply. My experience says it is more like a year's supply. We must pay attention to the Lord's prayer which explicitly says "Give us our Daily bread". Now, that is in direct conflict with the Year's supply supposition. It's all about give and take, and so the question boils down to time frames. Wait a while (???) and the commodity in question will exchange in value with "money". ... felix

Lee
07-08-2007, 02:09 PM
klw, I believe, has it. Supply and demand goes out the window when the suppliers have the demanders on the short leash.
Witness gasoline. It will never drop again. Why? Because the oil cats know that we will whine, we will sputter, we will complain, AND WE WILL STAND IN LINE TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT.
Now, take metals. You think it's the local junkie who's scarfing up all the lead, brass, copper? Wanta blame it on China? Fugeddaboutit. It's the as yet unnamed metals equivalents of the oil companies. And they will sit on those metals as long as they have to. It's called savings. And they know that we will whine, we will sputter, we will complain, AND WE WILL STAND IN LINE TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT.
............................just my $0.02.............Lee;-)

MT Gianni
07-08-2007, 05:06 PM
1972 I was working for minium wage at $0.70 hr. Gasoline was 32 cents so an hr of minimum wage bought 2 + gallons of gas. MT minimum wage is 6.50 or a little more than 2 gallons of gas. We really don't have it bad, we just need to prioritize and plan. Gianni.

Lloyd Smale
07-08-2007, 05:34 PM
well said! The average american has never had it so good finantialy. Just drive around and look at the toys in the yards of most of your neighbors. Boats motorcyles 4 wheelers ect most family have two cars in the driveway. When i was a kid you didnt see near as much of that. It was a rare family that had two cars and kids toys were still tonka trucks not little 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. I had dirt bikes and snowmobiles and even a car in high school but i worked in the woods cutting and peeling pulp wood and fire wood to buy them. Id like to look in the homes of some of the winers. Id bet id find big screen tvs dvd players satalite dishs and if you on here you definately had a computer. YOur partents probably couldnt have afforded any of that. Ive got a budy at work thats a democrat through and through and is allways ******** that the republicans are taking all his money. Hes got a car a mini van a 4x4 pickup a boat 3 four wheeles and a nice ranch house with a swimming pool. Pour guy has to live like that!!!!!! WEVE GOT IT MADE IN THIS COUNTRY!!! Take the time to say a prayer to thank God for what you have rather then using that time to wine!
1972 I was working for minium wage at $0.70 hr. Gasoline was 32 cents so an hr of minimum wage bought 2 + gallons of gas. MT minimum wage is 6.50 or a little more than 2 gallons of gas. We really don't have it bad, we just need to prioritize and plan. Gianni.

alamogunr
07-08-2007, 06:12 PM
I guess I'm going to be the first retiree to chime in here. Quite often I read in letters to the editor of newspapers about these poor folks on "fixed income". I'm on fixed income too. I see articles that give statistics about the savings rate of US families. My wife and I did without several things that some today feel are necessities, such as the 4 wheelers, boats, SUV's and McMansions, etc. in order to put aside for retirement. We both worked and never made big money. We have lived in the same hous for almost 40 years. We sent 2 sons to college and they both went on and got doctorates (Good thing that intelligence is enhanced in the next generation). My point is that, as Lloyd and Gianni said, we have never had it so good. I know that there are those who through circumstance and no fault of their own have it hard. I believe that we as individuals should take the opportunity when we see it to help those in need. Conversely, those who got themselves into their situation and don't try to do anything about it except gripe and expect the government to help them, will probably get help from the government and then sit around and gripe that it wasn't enough. I worry more about this "never had it so good" effect on my grandchildren. I can only hope that they will understand and develop a set of values that includes hard work and concern for others.

John

Lee
07-08-2007, 07:15 PM
alamogunr does have a good point there. How many of these SUV's and 4-wheelers are bought and paid for? And how many of the Joneses are up to their necks in hock?
This is still the greatest country on earth. But, it didn't get where it WAS, by doing what it is doing NOW. And if it keeps going down the path it is started on, it will soon be a chapter in a history book, unread by those who would rather repeat history than learn from it.........................Lee;-)

Ed Barrett
07-09-2007, 05:46 PM
alamogunr does have a good point there. How many of these SUV's and 4-wheelers are bought and paid for? And how many of the Joneses are up to their necks in hock?
This is still the greatest country on earth. But, it didn't get where it WAS, by doing what it is doing NOW. And if it keeps going down the path it is started on, it will soon be a chapter in a history book, unread by those who would rather repeat history than learn from it.........................Lee;-)

I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst, then I can pick up some of those toys for pennys on the dollar. I hope we can get the Republicans back in and the bubble won't burst. The Dems want you to think everything is bad and thet you have to depend on government for everything. Please stop me I have high blood pressure already.

BOOM BOOM
07-12-2007, 01:07 PM
HI,
I agree w/ FELIX only I do a 2 yr. supply of most everything. Food , medication,
clothes, firewood, beats inflation alot better than a bank savings account.
About only thing I can't do this w/ is water & gas.

EMC45
07-12-2007, 02:24 PM
Exactly what Lloyd said!!! What a bunch of ungrateful brats this nation has produced!!:mad: I am still in my younger years but I thank God Almighty that my wife nor I have succumbed to the " gotta haves" it's a terrible disease and it's at an epidemic proportion. Hey there is a bunch of "stuff" that I'd like to have, but I gave up being a greedy little pig faced kid a long time ago! I drive an older truck(165,000 mil.) and have been told frequently to trade up. How assinine!! It doesn't have a note and I don't want one! If people judge me for what I drive or my home or the toys in the yard then they are shallow superficial losers that need help!!! Insecurity will make people do funny things! The only toys in my yard are a kickball a tricycle and a swingset! I read a quote in Dave Ramsey's book, I believe, and goes something like this "Only in America will people drive to the poor house in a new car". In my part of this great country (rural) you can, on any given day, drive down the road and see a shack (a real shack) and there will be a Cadillac out front and a satelite dish in the yard! It's disgusting!:-? Sorry for the hijack, but this topic has touched a nerve.:castmine: P.S. I grew up pretty poor up north. We heated with firewood and we ate plenty of venison. And as kids we complained all the time. 3 kids and a single mom, but we made it out alive! I wish I could go back in time and kick my own butt and my sisters's and brother's for all our griping. Somehow my mom always had a friend with a chainsaw and they also hunted. I chastise my kids for their complaints on dinner or creature comforts often, so they will get the picture of what it could be. We have it so good!!!!

Bret4207
07-12-2007, 03:06 PM

Boy, you just said a mouthfull! I'm trying to reorganize and prioritize now so I can retire "in style", ie- have more for dinner than roadkill and beans. Wish I had done some things different for sure.

Baron von Trollwhack
07-12-2007, 03:53 PM
To get back on point as to WHY 9mm and 7.62 X 39 ammo doubled in cost, it's simple. The DEMOCRATS did it. For example, A lot of that ammo is surplus, or reprocessed surplus. That means it was made and paid for years ago at very cheap, mostly commie slavery prices, so the sellers are getting rid of out of date ammo at premium prices to start with. Now with the house & senate flipping to a slight democrat majority every gun-hating democrat started yelling about gun control, more bans on "assault weapons, cartridge identification", driving wally mart out of the gun/ammo business in exchange for slack in illegal nighttime maintenance crews, and similar. The absurdity of the current osha kerfullfe is a bright shiny new example of the large scale stupidity I'm speaking about. So what did we do. Quite a number of us went out and bought 20K more primers, 10K more cases, tripled our powder stock, etc. Heck, I even got 60 more 30 rounders for my ar. We all know if you don't do that kind of thing you are going to pay $43.99 for a can of 3031. And thats just right here at home, not figuring china and india gobbling up all manner of industrial supplies. Its the hunker down mentality in part because of the war coming soon to a place near you. Think about why the redcoats went to Concord. Gotta go, I need more tinfoil for my EMP-proof reloading room. BvT

Buckshot
07-12-2007, 10:42 PM
..............Wolf ammo isn't the only ammo, or the only 'Thing" to cost more. The dollar is down so it takes more to buy from overseas. All comodities are up also. People in the 2nd and 3rd tier countries are wanting higher wages. A hundred things account for the price rise, and included is also a bit of greed.

An instance of greed might be the company in Russia that is currently making and exporting the Wolf brand primers. This same company used to make PMC brand primers which Graf & Son sold. On their "Overstock" webpage I noticed they had PMC primers on closeout at $56/5K (last year).

I was interested and called, figuring that they might have had issues and Graf was dumping them. The salesman I spoke with said there was nothing at all wrong with the primers and that high power shooters at Quantico were saying they were very consistant and high quality.

What I was told was that the factory making them (or maybe PMC the importer) decided they could get a lot more money for them. Graf & Son figured that people wouldn't pay for PMC at those prices, when domestic primers were only a couple bucks more. They decided to no longer carry them.

I now see that the Wolf brand primers Graf & Son sell are in the same exact packaging from the same exact company. I also see they're $13 to about $18 per 5K cheaper then domestic. Possibly Graf & Son figured people would be more accepting of Wolf then of PMC, or maybe PMC was going to want even more?

However that was the reason I was given. The company wanted more money.

................Buckshot

klw
07-12-2007, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;201729However that was the reason I was given. The company wanted more money.

................Buckshot[/QUOTE]

Think that that is the best explaination I've heard.

But I bought and shot it because it was inexpensive. When the prices shot up and just stopped buying it. So I wonder if you make more money at a higher price if you have fewer customers? Just don't know how that plays out.

Fireball 57
07-12-2007, 11:05 PM
I don't think Wolf makes cast ammunition but, All ammo is out of sight! I saw the political stench of the Clinton's before Whitewater SO...I started to procure and store ammunition components in airtight containers. I urge my fellow Mastercasters to weigh the politico (hammer and sickle) winds and buy AMMO CANS!

felix
07-12-2007, 11:08 PM
No, your best profits are based upon volume. Why? Because you can get control of the manufacturing specs when you become the largest outlet for that particular factory. Witness Walmart operations from the beginning. Just amazing. ... felix

Bret4207
07-13-2007, 06:43 AM
[QUOTE=Ed Barrett;200439]I'm just waiting for the bubble to burst, then I can pick up some of those toys for pennys on the dollar......

I have a feeling that when this "bubble" bursts there isn't going to be much getting stuff for pennys. It'll be more like FIGHTING to keep what you have. It's all so inter twined that it'll pull everything apart.