PDA

View Full Version : Who can tell me about making a Silver Bullet?

BigRedDog
01-09-2013, 08:54 PM
Heck of a different first post from the new guy eh?

No, seriously. I want to have a friend of mine with a jewelry casting furnace (can for sure do silver)
make me a silver bullet or three.

Are there any cautions or precautions to know about?

Pure or sterling, does it make a difference?

I understand that the melt temperature is MUCH higher than lead, so will my standard iron molds work?
The aluminum one would melt as I recall.

All that said I do not want a dangerous situation for my friend.

Thanks in advance for your help!

williamwaco
01-09-2013, 09:28 PM
Trouble with Werewolves?

Wolfer
01-09-2013, 09:29 PM
I can barely afford lead. No experience with silver.

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Very difficult, temps very high. Has been done in ceramic molds, expensive, difficult,
boolits too hard to shoot safely. Kinda been researched, discussed and actually done
with not much good news.

Spend some time with the search engine.

Bill

longbow
01-09-2013, 09:53 PM
This has been discussed several times in various threads. You might find an answer by searching

You would likely get a few casts from an iron mould but it is unlikely in my opinion that you will get decent fillout unless the mould is pre-heated to near red. Silver gives up heat FAST and is somewhat difficult to pour into moulds. I have watched pyro refined silver being poured into iron dore moulds that were pre-heated red unsuccessfully. The result was streamers like spaghetti and lots of cold shut. Not saying it can't be cast but it can be difficult and I suspect casting a boolit through a sprue hole into a cold or even warm mould would be difficult and result in poor boolits.

It seems to me that in one similar discussion someone used or at least suggested making a mould from graphite and that might have a chance. Ceramic is another material that might work. You could make a ceramic mould using a boolit then melt the boolit out like lost wax/investment casting. Then pour silver into that cavity and break to open.

All in all I think it would be easier to machine a boolit out of silver bar. Cast a bar oversize then machine out the boolit shape you want.

Now, why? Do you plant to shoot them or use for decoration/jewellry? If for shooting, they have to be accurate dimensions and good fillout. If for decoration/jewellry they do not... they only have to look good.

My $0.02.

Longbow

Thumbcocker
01-09-2013, 09:54 PM
Read about a guy using furnace cement around a boolit. Melted out boolit, poured in silver, chipped off cement when cool. No idea if it would work or not. Let us know how you make out.

timbuck
01-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Your friend with the furnace should know the lost wax method.
That is how jewelry is made.
Use that to make a boolit.

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 10:13 PM
Investment casting (lost wax) is the normal jewelry casting method - many jewelers have these
cool spin casting machines. I'd expect that if you have a cooperative jeweler, you should try
to cast a wax boolit in a lead boolit mold (never tried it, but probably would work OK) and then
have him/her run it through the investment casting process, replicate it in silver.

Normal molds for lead really don't work.

Bill

Nobade
01-09-2013, 10:26 PM
Get a silver rod and turn some bullets on a lathe. Way easier than trying to cast them.

I'll Make Mine
01-09-2013, 10:47 PM
Get a silver rod and turn some bullets on a lathe. Way easier than trying to cast them.

Right up until you find out how much of that $500 silver rod you're going to lose as lathe chips...

Investment casting with a centrifugal mold is the way to go. Done carefully, this method can reproduce fingerprints on the surface of the wax, and 100% of unused silver is recovered (i.e. you only pay the jeweler for the actual bullet weight). The bullet produced will be undersize; the wax investment made in a boolit mold will be close to correct, but the silver shrinks a lot more than lead (mostly due to casting at much higher temperature).

If you're not shooting the results, undersize won't matter. If you are, you should look into silver plating -- I'm pretty sure werewolves don't care if the bullet is solid silver...

mongo
01-10-2013, 12:34 AM
One of my neighbors gave me a bunch of tin rods to add to my alloy, He said they were 10% silver. Thats the benifit of casting outside and sharing with the neighborhood. Boolits filled out great and were a bit hard.

Von Gruff
01-10-2013, 01:52 AM
Bullet jewelery.

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Reloading%20etc/article-2210560-154544F8000005DC-802_306x423.jpg

http://i667.photobucket.com/albums/vv39/VonGruff/Reloading%20etc/article-2210560-15450662000005DC-284_634x421.jpg

Mal Paso
01-10-2013, 02:33 AM
Cast a Bullet using Jeweler's Wax and take it to a Jeweler's Foundry. Wax Sprues are added and and the wax model is embedded in casting plaster. After it hardens the mold is put in a furnace to remove moisture and burn out the wax. The mold is put in a centrifuge along with molten silver. Centrifugal force fills the mold eliminating voids. The plaster mold is broken open, sprues cut, and you should have a perfect bullet.

Not all Jewelers have their own equipment. In many cities you will find foundries, some for profit, some cooperative, and some at Community Colleges.

Whether it will shoot or not, you're on your own.

sav300
01-10-2013, 07:39 AM
Von Gruff, very nice work.

Nobade
01-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Right up until you find out how much of that $500 silver rod you're going to lose as lathe chips...

Investment casting with a centrifugal mold is the way to go. Done carefully, this method can reproduce fingerprints on the surface of the wax, and 100% of unused silver is recovered (i.e. you only pay the jeweler for the actual bullet weight). The bullet produced will be undersize; the wax investment made in a boolit mold will be close to correct, but the silver shrinks a lot more than lead (mostly due to casting at much higher temperature).

If you're not shooting the results, undersize won't matter. If you are, you should look into silver plating -- I'm pretty sure werewolves don't care if the bullet is solid silver...

Yep, you would sure need to keep the chips!
I was assuming it's easier to get your hands on a lathe than the stuff needed to cast them. But you're right - if the casting equipment is available that's the way to go.

Lizard333
01-10-2013, 10:49 AM
I watched a show where actually shot several silver bullets through a 45/70. The problem with the silver is it is WAY to hard to properly engage the rifling. Accuracy was poor at best. We're talking a two foot group at 25 feet.

If you plan on shooting these, I would say a waste of time/money.

Just to put on a shelf, just in case..... That's another subject all together.

44man
01-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Me and my little dog showed our ugly mugs to the vampires and they lit out pronto! :mrgreen:
Didn't have any affect on the wife though, she is still here!

Dthunter
01-10-2013, 04:07 PM
Lol! Thats funny stuff there.

I'll Make Mine
01-10-2013, 11:39 PM
Yep, you would sure need to keep the chips!
I was assuming it's easier to get your hands on a lathe than the stuff needed to cast them. But you're right - if the casting equipment is available that's the way to go.

Lots more amateur jewelers around than bullet casters, believe it or not. Nearly every community college has a jewelry making course, and some high schools (one of my high school art classes did a centrifugal casting, though that was in 1978). A spin casting machine big enough to do 4-6 boolits on a tree costs less than a small lathe, and though it's less useful to us, it's easier to resell for a significant fraction of what's invested...

BigRedDog
01-11-2013, 12:34 AM
Cast a Bullet using Jeweler's Wax and take it to a Jeweler's Foundry. Wax Sprues are added and and the wax model is embedded in casting plaster. After it hardens the mold is put in a furnace to remove moisture and burn out the wax. The mold is put in a centrifuge along with molten silver. Centrifugal force fills the mold eliminating voids. The plaster mold is broken open, sprues cut, and you should have a perfect bullet.

Not all Jewelers have their own equipment. In many cities you will find foundries, some for profit, some cooperative, and some at Community Colleges.

Whether it will shoot or not, you're on your own.

We will start here and see how it goes.

Does Sterling make a better bullet than fine?

I'll Make Mine
01-11-2013, 12:11 PM
Sterling is harder than fine. If you're shooting it, you'll need all the "soft" you can get; the softest silver gets is still harder than pure zinc or even monotype.

blackthorn
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM
OK---What is "Nickel Silver"???

I'll Make Mine
01-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Nickel silver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver) has no silver in it; it's a copper nickel alloy, sometimes including zinc (nearly all modern nickel silver has some zinc). It's silvery in color, and is close to the alloy that's been used to make US and Canadian five-cent coins for more than a century. It's also close to the cupro-nickel jacket alloy that was tried in the 1890s and abandoned due to barrel deposition problems before WWI.

john hayslip
01-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Years ago Gun World magazine did a spoof article where Dan Cottrell dressed as the Lone Ranger and tried to cast a silver boolit. Their attempts were hilarious. It didn't work. I think I still have a copy of it. I have a silver boolit, or at least sold as a silver boolit on Ebay in 38-55 - pretty thing.

turmech
01-11-2013, 08:37 PM
If you want to shoot sliver for what ever reason the easiest way would be to load it in the shot cup of a shotgun shell. You would want to have the shot cup completely hold the whole load. I would think a sliver necklace chain or sliver dimes.

This would just be my suggestion as I of cource had not tried.

And lastly you are welcome to shoot as many as you want into my backstop.

jlchucker
01-12-2013, 11:54 AM
Trouble with Werewolves?

LOL! It would seem so. Of course if Bigreddog finds silver to be too costly, or if the ATF/other Imperialist Govt Agency enacts a silver boolit ban, the Werewolf battle could always be waged with pointed wooden stakes.

citizenal
01-12-2013, 01:58 PM
http://www.patriciabriggs.com/books/silver/silverbullets.shtml

Here is a link I read about someone making their own silver bullets, did not have much luck. At the end, he did say someone make a hollowpoint with lead filled in the center. I think that would be a much better way to go, unless you want the whole bullet to be silver.

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Take your favorite mould to a school with a silver smithing course. Find out what the instructors favorite ADULT beverage is and of course plenty of PURE 100% silver. Pure silver never tarnishes or leaves BLACK marks on clothing.

You will probably need at least 3 x the weight of the finished project for proper fillout. The instructor will know how much his process requires.

He MAY also be able to provide the best price for the silver.

Tell the instructor what you want and be patient. Generally the actual casting of a project happens at the end of the course.

Casting is done with a Centrifugal casting machine or by vacuum process.

gandydancer
01-12-2013, 03:26 PM
its been tried with a iron mold and there was damage to the mold. I believe it was to hot and caused the mold to warp. and the cast where no good. GD

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2013, 03:40 PM
its been tried with a iron mold and there was damage to the mold. I believe it was to hot and caused the mold to warp. and the cast where no good. GD

Not surprising. Silver has to be OVER 1750 to flow. What a shock to your favorite mould.

DrCaveman
01-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Just add some silver to your favorite alloy, flux it well, and there you go: silver bullet. Oregon trail/laser cast does this. Since I bought a 500 rnd box before I started casting, and I try to recycle most of my boolits, I figure that nearly all my boolits have a slight touch of silver.

I have no idea of the percentage, but it is probably very low. It does not affect anything that I can tell, fillout, temp, bhn. But just in case the target is undead/werewolf, I figure you would be safe.

ku4hx
01-12-2013, 03:54 PM
I prefer garlic bullets for vampires. But I use a modified spud gun to launch the little cloves; trajectory is a bit "loopy".

I'll Make Mine
01-12-2013, 05:56 PM
Pure silver never tarnishes or leaves BLACK marks on clothing.

No argument with the rest of the post, but this is incorrect. Pure silver will and does tarnish; it reacts with sulfur in the air to form silver sulfide, which is yellowish in color and builds up until the surface turns brown, then black. It's less of a problem now than it was in the days of burning coal for everything, but it still happens, and since it's the silver itself reacting, it doesn't matter whether it's pure, sterling, or some other alloy.

Pure silver will also leave black marks on anything that can abrade away metal from the surface. Artists use either pure or sterling wire interchangeably for silverpoint, where a silver wire is used like a pencil to draw on gesso -- a white paint (used by artists to coat canvas and/or cover old paintings for reuse) that uses either zinc oxide or titanium oxide as the pigment. Sufficiently fine silver particles will look black (think black and white photographic film and paper, where the black part of the image is formed by particles of pure silver), especially on a white background, and again it doesn't matter if the silver is pure or alloyed.

Of course, this is unrelated to actually making boolits out of silver -- carry on...

blackthorn
01-12-2013, 08:04 PM
Nickel silver (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nickel_silver) has no silver in it; it's a copper nickel alloy, sometimes including zinc (nearly all modern nickel silver has some zinc). It's silvery in color, and is close to the alloy that's been used to make US and Canadian five-cent coins for more than a century. It's also close to the cupro-nickel jacket alloy that was tried in the 1890s and abandoned due to barrel deposition problems before WWI.

Thanks. I guess that means the 3 Nickel silver spoons I found are not worth much---Dang!

Mal Paso
01-12-2013, 08:52 PM
LOL! It would seem so. Of course if Bigreddog finds silver to be too costly, or if the ATF/other Imperialist Govt Agency enacts a silver boolit ban, the Werewolf battle could always be waged with pointed wooden stakes.

So, anybody got a load worked up for a 44 cal wooden stake?

Bad Water Bill
01-12-2013, 09:18 PM
We need more information.

Type of wood used(Balsa, Pine, Oak, Ebony?

What type of lube (would not want to get slivers stuck in the barrel)?

Well you get the idea.[smilie=1:

williamwaco
01-12-2013, 10:25 PM

Obviously - Silver Pine

AKA: Pinus monticola

MtGun44
01-12-2013, 10:33 PM
I wonder how much silver is in laser cast? I know that there is trace silver in lead as it
is mined. I am guessing that they just acknowledge the traces that are there for most or
all lead. Probably in the few parts per million range. Interesting marketing ploy but I
doubt it has any significance in the performance.

Bill

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 02:16 AM

One of Fred Saberhagen's Dracula novels has a character (Chicago police officer) carrying a backup .38 snubbie loaded with lead bullets cast around ironwood tips -- effective against both humans and vampires. You should be able to cast them as if they were soft tip cast bullets (i.e. insert the tip in the cavity, close the mold, and cast normally) and load them like the same weight conventional cast boolit.

Wouldn't think they'd do much to a werewolf, though.

Bad Water Bill
01-13-2013, 03:40 AM
Now we are on a roll.

Soak the ironwood in garlic juice, cast with ? % silver boolit compound.

A wooden stake in the heart for some critters, garlic for some and the DEADLY silver projectile.

What a great multi creature load.[smilie=1:

jlchucker
01-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Now we are on a roll.

A wooden stake in the heart for some critters, garlic for some and the DEADLY silver projectile.

This one sounds like the best option over all, Bill. It'll probably work in both rifles and handguns. Might have trouble getting it to feed through autoloaders though.

NYBushBro
01-13-2013, 12:59 PM
So, anybody got a load worked up for a 44 cal wooden stake?

Sure... Swedish Mausers use them for target practice all the time (although not 44 caliber)!

Bigslug
01-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Q: Why was the Lone Ranger alone?

A: He kept pouring his wife's silver into bullet molds.

I'll Make Mine
01-13-2013, 04:21 PM
Now we are on a roll.

Now we're getting to what Hellboy loads for The Samaritan (hella big 5-shot revolver) -- silver, garlic, wolfsbane, holy water, "da woiks", as he puts it.

Super Sneaky Steve
01-13-2013, 11:12 PM
http://laser-cast.com/AboutLaserCast.html
These guys make a silver bullet. Well kind of...

Mal Paso
01-14-2013, 11:28 AM
I wonder how much silver is in laser cast? I know that there is trace silver in lead as it
is mined. I am guessing that they just acknowledge the traces that are there for most or
all lead. Probably in the few parts per million range. Interesting marketing ploy but I

Bill

It's Homeopathic. The smaller the concentration, the more powerful the effect.

MtGun44
01-14-2013, 11:30 PM
LOL! I like that answer. Actually, as silly as I though homeopathic effects are from
a purely scientific point of view, there have been a few tests done - with the intent to
prove how ridiculous the homeopathic concept was, yet they could not make the
effect go away in a few tests. Weird. Not claiming anything, just reporting an
article I read where a skeptic was left puzzled.

I'm thinking filling a HP with garlic is the best bet for werewolves.

Bill

I'll Make Mine
01-15-2013, 09:55 PM
LOL! I like that answer. Actually, as silly as I though homeopathic effects are from
a purely scientific point of view, there have been a few tests done - with the intent to
prove how ridiculous the homeopathic concept was, yet they could not make the
effect go away in a few tests. Weird. Not claiming anything, just reporting an
article I read where a skeptic was left puzzled.

I'm thinking filling a HP with garlic is the best bet for werewolves.

Bill

When you get to a homeopathic x30 (that is, diluted by a factor of 10 to the 30th power) or higher preparation, you reach a point where there probably isn't a single molecule of whatever the "active ingredient" of the concoction might be in any given bottle of the stuff; Avogradro's number, 6.02x10^23, implies that a homeopathic x23 would have only a single molecule in a mole (18 kilograms) of water.

The studies you refer to must have been flawed in a way that allowed placebo effect to interfere; there's simply no other way a preparation that simply contains no active ingredient at all could have an effect.

Now, as for HP filled with garlic for werewolves, you're confusing your fantasy/horror beasties. It's vampires that dislike garlic; for werewolves, you want wolfsbane, also known as monkshood or aconite (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aconitum). It's toxic enough, BTW, that it'll probably increase the effectiveness of those bullets on pretty much any warm blooded (living) creature, but handle with extreme care; you can poison yourself just picking the leaves.

MtGun44
01-15-2013, 10:14 PM
The study started from EXACTLY WHAT YOU STATED, that there would mathematically not be a
single atom remaining, yet careful SCIENTIFIC work could not eliminate the effect - and it was
NOT a placebo effect, it was (IIRC) a clear, non-subjective effect.

Personally, I do not have any opinion on homeopathic medicine. Sounds like unscientific
claptrap to me, but I have read of one serious attempt to do a clear scientific test to prove
that it is (clearly) baloney, and it failed. Not selling anything other than we do need to
recognize that there may sometimes be more to what is happening than we understand. NOT
going to use homeopathic medicine any time soon, but do have an open mind. Superconductors
were once known to be entirely impossible, but if you get a MRI you are using practical, real
world superconductors.

No mumbo jumbo, purely a scientific guy, but when a well designed experiment repeatedly
disagress with theory, then one possible cause is a bad experiment. Another is a bad
theory. I'll see if I can find the article.

Bill

Bullwolf
01-16-2013, 01:15 AM
OK things have drifted far enough off topic that I feel like I can post this link now.

http://www.coonaninc.com/products.php/zombie-silver-bullets/

Coonan, you remember them right? The makers of a 38/.357 1911.
http://www.coonaninc.com/userfiles/image/splash.jpg

Just when you thought you had seen it all, someone else decided to cash in on the latest zombie craze.

Apparently Coonan sells a hollow wooden vampire stake, with a handful of silver bullets inside. They are made supposedly with a 99% pure silver jacket.
http://www.coonaninc.com/images/products/large/zombiecard.jpg

Silly? Well perhaps, but maybe it will have some collectable value in a few years though - Who knows?

Looking for a "Stocking Stuffer"? How about a Coonan Silver Bullet.
http://www.coonaninc.com/userfiles/image/single2.jpg

I saw an auction for one once on Gun Broker, and was a tad surprised. This question tends to pop up every so often here. Apparently even the manufacturer, Coonan in this case found it easier (and probably cheaper too) to go with a silver jacket.

- Bullwolf

MtGun44
01-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Jacketed in silver. Does that count as a "silver bullet"?

Can we get an official werewolf umpire to rule on that one? ;-)

They could use a touch of flash suppressant in that powder :shock:

Bill

William Yanda
01-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Nickel cases are "silver" colored. Does "looks like" count?

williamwaco
01-19-2013, 12:28 AM
Jacketed in silver. Does that count as a "silver bullet"?

Can we get an official werewolf umpire to rule on that one? ;-)

They could use a touch of flash suppressant in that powder :shock:

Bill

We need a test!

Where can we get a werewolf hunting lease?

MikeS
01-19-2013, 07:32 AM
About a year ago or so I bought some lead free bar solder that was mostly tin, but also had silver, copper, and antimony in them. I don't recall the exact percentages, but I think it was like 3% silver or so. They were being sold on ebay, the seller had a bunch of them, as well as some other lead free solder that was 95% tin and 5% antimony, and he was selling them for around $10.00 per 1lb bar, same price for either the 95/5 or the silver solder. I used them to make some Lyman #2 like alloy, and they made nice looking boolits that shot nicely too.

Mal Paso
01-19-2013, 09:56 AM
Darn! I was liking the Almost But Not Quote Serious Posts Better.

If you're going to be that way........

Do not shoot solid silver bullets. I'm sure it can be done with sabots or something but without a Lot of Work you could get a pressure spike that would violently disassemble the gun.

This is my first time using the Forum's TEXT interface. So this is what it's like sipping Bits Through a Straw.

trooperdan
01-19-2013, 11:29 AM
Here is a link to the mentioned article about Jack Lewis and Dan Cotterman casting silver boolits:

http://www.hurog.com/books/silver/ranger/

At the link is a long and detailed series of articles describing the process they used to acquire silver boolits.

I'll Make Mine
01-19-2013, 06:41 PM
Do not shoot solid silver bullets. I'm sure it can be done with sabots or something but without a Lot of Work you could get a pressure spike that would violently disassemble the gun.

If you have a bullet design that takes the hardness into account, you'll be fine. Barnes has been selling solid copper and solid bronze bullets for decades; bronze, at least, is harder than silver (and copper isn't much if any softer). The main thing is to have the main body of the bullet at or just below bore size, with the groove-sized driving bands thin enough to engrave without undue force.

Or just jacket a soft swaged bullet in silver, as Coonan appears to be doing, or cast an ordinary lead boolit with a silver-bearing alloy (use tin/copper/silver solder to sweeten instead of pure tin) and get a boolit that will take jacketed velocity, poured in a conventional mold. Heck, with the price of 3% silver solder, this might even be cost effective for hunting boolits (for real game, never mind the werewolves).

Mal Paso
01-19-2013, 08:58 PM
If you have a bullet design that takes the hardness into account, you'll be fine. Barnes has been selling solid copper and solid bronze bullets for decades; bronze, at least, is harder than silver (and copper isn't much if any softer). The main thing is to have the main body of the bullet at or just below bore size, with the groove-sized driving bands thin enough to engrave without undue force.

Or just jacket a soft swaged bullet in silver, as Coonan appears to be doing, or cast an ordinary lead boolit with a silver-bearing alloy (use tin/copper/silver solder to sweeten instead of pure tin) and get a boolit that will take jacketed velocity, poured in a conventional mold. Heck, with the price of 3% silver solder, this might even be cost effective for hunting boolits (for real game, never mind the werewolves).

Exactly, "Lot of Work". It's just that this will pop up in Google and I didn't want people thinking you could just swap bullets.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2013, 09:32 PM
With a cloud of dust and a hardy HI HO SILVER AWAY. someone loaded a SILVER BOOLIT in his 223 with a 1/9 twist to 3400 FPS and there was a cloud of SILVER:oops:

10 Spot Terminator
01-20-2013, 03:23 AM
Very entertaining posts for sure. After reading all of the posts it occurs to me that many who posted here need to stay well away from Transylvania for sure ! They have a name for guys who want to use garlic or wooden bullets on Werewolves and silver bullets on Vampires. Its called Scooby Snacks ! Somebody didnt stay up late and watch enough "Creature Features" with ol Bob Wilkins when they were growing up ,,, you would be like the fella who would take his trusty old Red Ryder on a Rhino hunt ,,,

Lloyd Smale
01-20-2013, 06:40 AM
I would guess as little as they possibly can and still be able to claim its there.

Bill

SlippShodd
01-25-2013, 02:17 AM
I would usually not kick a sleeping silver bullet thread when it was down, but I felt obliged to share this:

http://www.silverbulletbullion.com/?utm_source=nwtm&utm_medium=email&utm_content=email2013-01-23&utm_campaign=silver-bullet-bullion-B&cid=379#anchor1

Since I invest in silver occasionally, I got an email today with this offering. I'm sorely tempted to order up some 1 oz. .45 ACPs and some of the .22 LRs when they come available. The 25 oz. 20mm carries a tad too high a premium for art's sake to suit me.

mike

I'll Make Mine
01-25-2013, 08:05 AM
That's not a silver bullet, it's a silver dummy round! Still, could serve a purpose -- put one of those in the chamber, one on top of the magazine in your bedside pistol, then anyone tampering with the gun will have to have at least a basic clue before they can shoot anyone...

NVScouter
01-28-2013, 11:54 AM
Electroplating? OR fluxing a copper FMJ and silver solder?

How about getting a HP mould like NOE makes and have a cross on the FP pin insert. That way cross for vampires, star of David for Golems, HP with NAIR in it for werewolves, etc!

I'll Make Mine
01-28-2013, 11:00 PM
Best electroplate; silver soldering a copper FMJ would surely melt the core, as well as adding much more to diameter (and less evenly) than electroplating.

Bad Water Bill
01-28-2013, 11:35 PM
REAL soft silver solder flows at about 1100 degrees. Guess what happened to your PB core.

I hope you were working OUTSIDE?:bigsmyl2:

Taz700
01-31-2013, 11:54 AM
Great thread! I was also looking at doing this (much much more for a "break glass for warewolf" display over shooting) but taking all things into account had planed on setting up a plaster/silica mold to pour a silver rod, then machine down. Much like barnes bullets are made, cut the bands for lube (in this case like barnes allowing the material to flow into the voids). I would also test hardness compared to a full copper round and adjust as needed (however the thought of saboting one could work too). I"m only doing this as I have a fair amount of silver from way back when that is pretty destroyed (can't sell coins) ect, so I thought it would be a fun venture.

Besides if silver really does work I should just silver plate my gun so I can touch the warewolf and it will still die. (that of course is attached to a garlic soaked wooden stick (just in case). Can't be to careful.

wolfe28
01-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Trouble with Werewolves?

Everyone knows that you shoot Vampires with silver. Just aim for the sparkly ones first.

D