PDA

View Full Version : Lubrisizing Lee 200 Grain 45 ACP boolits

Lizard333
01-09-2013, 06:38 PM
Unbeknownst to me, I bought this mold from midway not knowing that it had a bevel base. This did not become apparent until I started casting. I remeber reading a while back how to make a base out of epoxy to lube these with out wasting a bunch of lube but now I cant find it.

Any help would be most appreciated!

zomby woof
01-09-2013, 07:47 PM
Mine shoot just fine. cast and shoot

Lizard333
01-09-2013, 08:11 PM
They shoot great. That's not my problem. Lubrisizing them leaves lube at the base of the boolit. I'm looking to see if there is a way to prevent that.

Old Caster
01-09-2013, 08:26 PM
I remember reading about that too in several places but don't remember all of it. It seems that someone took a black powder insert for putting a 45 caliber round ball in a muzzleloader but I have never tried it. There were several other ideas also but don't recall them because they didn't apply to me.

tomf52
01-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Adjust the stop on your sizer so that the bullet goes down only far enough for lube to go in the lube groove only. It takes a little bit of trial and error.

runfiverun
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
pieces of foam from a meat tray the ones [i was gonna say steaks come in, but i haven't bought one in so long i don't know if they still come like that]

emorris
01-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Is it the 200 grain SWC mold? I have this mold and I dont have any issues with lube flowimg onto the bevel base. I had to adjust my lyman sizer and play with the amount of pressure I put on the lube. I normally use BAC or 2500 from white lable. I do not use a heater for these.

Bucking the Tiger
01-10-2013, 11:52 AM
I have had to really play with my Lyman 4500's stop adjustment to minimize lube on the base, but with some tweaking, it would stop most of the problem. I ended up keeping a shop towel handy and swipe the base of each boolit across it after sizing. It is a little aggravating, but this bullet shoots so well out of my Gold Cup that it is worth it.

Lizard333
01-10-2013, 01:02 PM
I have had to really play with my Lyman 4500's stop adjustment to minimize lube on the base, but with some tweaking, it would stop most of the problem. I ended up keeping a shop towel handy and swipe the base of each boolit across it after sizing. It is a little aggravating, but this bullet shoots so well out of my Gold Cup that it is worth it.

This what I had to do last night. Frustrating, but well worth the end result.

redgum
01-11-2013, 07:09 AM
I've read of people placing a gas check in the sizer to just cover the bevel.
I had the same trouble with a LEE 230TC so I had a few thou. machined off the top of the mold.

single shot jimmy
01-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I turned a matching cavity into the top of the sizer pin. Watch your pressure as too much forces lube in between the base of the bullet and the pin.

LabGuy
01-11-2013, 02:59 PM
You could use the mold as an excuse to purchase a Star lube-sizer. That is, if you looking for one.

DLCTEX
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
I have used the foam piece for keeping the lube off the BB, with good results. I just trimmed the BB out of a Lee 6 ca. with an exacto knife and a good magnifier. The aluminum cuts easily, so take care to cut parallel to the base band.

HeadLead
01-27-2013, 06:22 PM
I just used my Lyman 4500 with the Lee 200gr LSWC and experienced the same results you mention above. I have set the stop adjustment at its highest position and still get lube in the base. I use the Lyman heater and limit the pressure to just enough to fill the groove, but I still get lube in the base. I believe if the stop adjustment had just a few more threads to raise it a tad, it would work just fine.

jdgabbard
01-27-2013, 11:33 PM
There is another remedy which used to be fairly common place with lee molds, as well as other brands. Simply machine the bevel off.... You will have to find a bit that is pretty dang close to .452, but there are some out there. Then once you size it you shouldn't have a problem.