PDA

View Full Version : Casting problem..need help

bobv
07-26-2005, 08:53 PM
What is the major reason for cast bullets sticking in mold...The other day I borrowed A Lyman 303 mold # 314299 and always had one of the bullets stick in the mold. Other then a burr what causes this...need help.
By the way I trying WW's , no.2 Alloy and straight Lino..same results, also trying at different temp...same results.
Seeing the mold didn't belong to me I didn't want to fool around with it..any suggestions
Thanks
Bob

buck1
07-26-2005, 09:32 PM
""Seeing the mold didn't belong to me I didn't want to fool around with it..any suggestions""
Try smokeing the mould with a match or bic lighter. More of a bandaid than a fix. ..Buck

44man
07-26-2005, 10:30 PM
Sometimes it is such a small burr that you can remove it by scraping your fingernail around the inside of the edges. Scotch-brite or a light touch with 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper will clean up the edges also without hurting anything. Then smoke it or use Mold Prep.
Don't use a metal object to scrape anything.

Leftoverdj
07-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Work the edges of the offending cavity with a pencil eraser. It won't remove enough metal to damage anything, but it can remove burrs.

Buckshot
07-27-2005, 01:36 AM
..............Besides a burr, it could also be that one half of the cavity is a tiny bit more bored in one block half then the other, or tilted a bit. A mechanical lock on the boolit.

..................Buckshot

buck1
07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
Work the edges of the offending cavity with a pencil eraser. It won't remove enough metal to damage anything, but it can remove burrs.

Dang ! Thats a good idea!!

44man
07-27-2005, 10:05 PM
Leftover, thank you! I never thought of that. Very good idea.

bobv
07-27-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, should have asked the question before returning the mould to owner....but that's OK I can still get a hold of it again
Thanks again, it pays to ask the right question to the right people [smilie=s:
Bob