PDA

View Full Version : Guerrilla Gunsmithing

WILCO
01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Guerrilla Gunsmithing
Quick and Dirty Methods for Fixing Firearms in Desperate Times
by Ragnar Benson

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Guerrilla_Gunsmithing/Home_Workshop_Guns_and_Ammo

This book is in my personal library. Good stuff to know.

oldred
01-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I don't have this book but I have seen a copy and I assure you it's meager cost is FAR outweighed by the info it contains! For the non-gunsmithing individuals out there this book is as the old saying goes "worth it's weight in gold" and contains tricks of the trade that a person just might not think of.

blackthorn
01-09-2013, 12:11 PM
How does it compare to the "Gunsmith Kinks" series of books sold by Brownells?

ErikO
01-09-2013, 12:31 PM
Ragnar's other books are quality reading as well. Waiting until after my wife's Citizenship is done to order from Paladin Press. ;)

oldred
01-09-2013, 12:46 PM
Paladin press is an excellent source of info that just can't be found anywhere else, at least not in a one stop setup like this. They have a couple of really good books on building firearms at home, both crude no machine tools required types to high quality guns you can be proud of. A lot of folks might be surprised to know that a person can legally (for now anyway) build anything at home that they could legally buy as long as it meets normal government regulations such as barrel length, no full auto, etc.

KCSO
01-09-2013, 03:10 PM
As if we don't have Buba's enough...

oldred
01-09-2013, 03:33 PM
As if we don't have Buba's enough...

???????????

Would you care to clarify?

**oneshot**
01-09-2013, 03:40 PM
I believe he means "bubba gunsmiths" or backyard gunsmiths. We had fits with one used gun we bought only to find out that someone had done a butchered trigger job on it.

Bad Water Bill
01-09-2013, 03:58 PM
Just placed my order. Amazon is out of stock but taking orders.

oldred
01-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Bubba is everywhere and into everything but that does not mean that every home gunsmith is Bubba!

"As if we don't have enough Bubbas" in response to these books just sounds like someone thinks that this must be a bad idea but I strongly disagree, should everyone just throw away their gun if it needs work and no gunsmith is going to be available?

Here's a "Bubba" rifle that was built mostly by hand in a very small farm shop back "on the ridge" here in East Tn. In this case "Bubba" is not a professional machinist but rather a retired welder with a cheap Chinese lathe and no other machine shop equipment so a great deal of the work was done by hand. A lot of things can be accomplished by those willing to try and these books are an excellent way to get started!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?171427-My-special-project

leftiye
01-09-2013, 04:41 PM
One has to wonder if all of these people who seem to be just waiting to jump on the first person who gives them anything like an excuse ever wonder within themselves if that says anything about number one. Signed - another hillbilly gunsmith.

41 mag fan
01-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Guerrilla Gunsmithing
Quick and Dirty Methods for Fixing Firearms in Desperate Times
by Ragnar Benson

http://www.paladin-press.com/product/Guerrilla_Gunsmithing/Home_Workshop_Guns_and_Ammo

This book is in my personal library. Good stuff to know.

OHHH thanks Wilco...I just get my finances figured out and you throw a kink in my budget!!! :kidding:

Actually thanks for the url and info...going to go order it now!! :bigsmyl2:

Order placed...

MtGun44
01-09-2013, 08:40 PM
"bubbaing" as a verb would mean to hack up a nice gun to "improve it" - most commonly
applied to military surplus rifles "sporterized' with a hacksaw and little else. When
military surplus guns were extremely cheap, it seemed and was reasonable. Now that
many military surplus rifles are relatively rare, the ones that were badly hacked up seem
a real shame to people that would like to collect the original guns.

Another application is extremely poor quality repairs done instead of a proper repair to
a gun. Duct tape, baling wire, pliers, hammer and a dremel tool are frequent equipment
used by 'bubba gunsmiths'.

Bill

bob208
01-10-2013, 10:01 AM
i think alot hear missunderstood the use of the word guerrilla. maybe if he would have used the word partisen. but then it would not set well with the libs.

linotype
01-10-2013, 10:17 AM
"bubbaing" as a verb would mean to hack up a nice gun to "improve it" - most commonly applied to military surplus rifles "sporterized' with a hacksaw and little else. ... Another application is extremely poor quality repairs done instead of a proper repair to a gun. Duct tape, baling wire, pliers, hammer and a dremel tool are frequent equipment used by 'bubba gunsmiths'. Bill

That is what I refer to as "gorilla" gunsmithing, compared to rather good work done by amateur gunsmiths.
I understand mistakes can be made during the learning curve, and I give credit to those who are picking up new skills, but it's a shame to see good firearms turned ugly and perhaps unsafe.

oldred
01-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Fellows I think there has been a major misinterpretation of what this book is about, it's not about quality gunsmithing or even gunsmithing as we normally think of it so it has nothing to do with "Bubba" and his gun! What that book is about is how to make a disabled firearm function in a pinch when proper services or even tools are not available, wiring a stock back together would be considered unacceptably crude for true gunsmithing but if you were in a survival situation would that matter? A fictional but possible situation might be someone hurt and lost in a wilderness situation with a damaged firearm, would quality or function take precedence? This book has absolutely nothing to do with how "Bubba" cobbles his guns so let's stick with what the book is about and "Bubba" simply has no place in this discussion!

KCSO
01-10-2013, 10:29 AM
Sorry but with proper work there is no need to wrap a stock with wire or rope, even the Indians could make hide glue. I see this stuff every day and it hasn't impressed me yet. More better to buy a real book on gunsmithing and learn to do it right.

Yes I started out as a backyard gunsmith, I built a flintlock muzzleloader from a lock and barrel and built it all tools included with the help of a pot forge and a post drill. I was brought up by craftsmen and I guess I have no patience for shoddy work.

oldred
01-10-2013, 10:42 AM
You are totally missing the point and a true gunsmithing book would be next to useless for what the author intended for the subject of the book in question, the methods here are for when proper gunsmithing is not practical. Your comparison to the indians making hide glue instead of wiring a stock is just plain silly, in the first place I think hide glue would be considered "Bubbaing" to the extreme unless in was done in a pinch for survival purposes but be realistic, if the chips are down and you need your rifle to function what is the best way to fix it when needed? Is a person in a survival situation likely to find a piece of wire or rope that he could use or should he just forget such a "Bubba" solution and start hunting for ingredients to make a glue strong enough for his purposes"? Maybe glue would work but that kind of thing is EXACTLY what this book you seem to be trying to discredit is all about, first you attempt to make the book a bad idea then you give an excellent example of just how the info in it might be used- that is unless you think buffalo hide glue is an acceptable way to do a "real" repair on a broke stock!

No disrespect meant but obviously you have not seen this book and you are trying to malign something you know nothing about.

**oneshot**
01-10-2013, 10:58 AM
Didn't mean to open a can of worms with my interpretation of "bubba".

oldred
01-10-2013, 11:08 AM
Didn't mean to open a can of worms with my interpretation of "bubba".

You didn't and there was nothing at all wrong with your reply. The only point I was trying to make is this book has nothing to do with "Bubba" or back-yard gunsmiths or even quality repair for that matter. It's about how to "make do" with little to do with and how to make a firearm function in an adverse situation, it is not meant as a tutorial on gunsmithing and the methods described are meant for "hard times" not as a general guide for repair.

Compare this to things like emergency care repair guides such as using a pantyhose for an emergency fan belt, "Bubba" car repair? Maybe but it might just save someone's ****!

WILCO
01-19-2013, 07:34 AM
How does it compare to the "Gunsmith Kinks" series of books sold by Brownells?

Hi Blackthorn! I'm not sure, as I don't have that author in my collection.

In light of recent events at state and federal levels, I'm still recommending this book.

Col4570
01-19-2013, 12:01 PM
To Jury Rig a Firearm in an emergency is amongst the highest ideals of the Pioneer.Making do with materials at hand is the only thing left for a starving man in the Wilderness.Hats off to those who have survived due to their on the spot skills.After all neccessity is the Mother of invention.
Regards.

blackthorn
01-19-2013, 12:29 PM
The "Gunsmith Kinks" series (4 [?]) books are a collection of ways to do things gathered by and published by (for?) Brownell's! Lot and lots of good ideas, tips and tricks to get things done. The Guerrilla Gunsmithing book sounds real interesting. Can't have too many books!!

waksupi
01-19-2013, 01:56 PM
That type of gunsmithing isn't new. I've seen plenty old Indian guns that have been cut off, wrapped with rawhide, and other ingenious fixes to keep them operational.

Bad Water Bill
01-19-2013, 06:16 PM
That type of gunsmithing isn't new. I've seen plenty old Indian guns that have been cut off, wrapped with rawhide, and other ingenious fixes to keep them operational.

And yes they did work to fight another day.:)

Blacksmith
01-20-2013, 03:49 AM
The Lewis and Clark Girandoni air rifle was repaired while on trail by a handyman/blacksmith using a horseshoe rasp as material. The workmanship was not to the standard of the rest of the gun but it kept working. Perhaps the original spring that broke was the "bubba" part.

Here is the story of the Girandoni:
http://www.beemans.net/lewis-assault-rifle.htm

http://www.beemans.net/Lewis%20&%20Clark%20Airgun.htm

http://www.beemans.net/images/Austrian%20airguns.htm

Mooseman
01-20-2013, 04:27 AM
Its called "field expedient repairs" but in all honesty , its emergency bubbafication! Its why i have more than 1 gun and spare parts too...LOL

Stephen Cohen
01-20-2013, 04:47 AM
I had a nice side by side muzzle loader which had been repaired with copper wire around the wrist of stock, it was given to me with the original owners diary, he even mentioned how he did the repair after he dropped the gun and his wagon ran over the stock. I passed it onto a collector who would never consider fixing it as it has history. Had I not been in the right place at right time this gun would have been destroyed in our forced buy back.