PDA

View Full Version : I have to apologize to Lee

DLCTEX
01-08-2013, 07:18 PM
I have a six cavity mould that I was sure was casting off center boolits. I thought I had tried everything to make them size square, so I called Lee and Andy(tech) told me to send it in and he would check it out. He called and said it was "in spec", only .001 out of round and centered with the parting line. I asked about the sample boolits I sent that were clearly sized more on one side than the other. He said that he didn't know but the mould cast in spec. He didn't think I was lubing mould, but I explained that I used Bullplate, which I find to be superior to beeswax. He offered to send a new mould at cost, but as I had already bought a replacement, I declined. After getting it back I examined the mould under magnification and found that in trimming out the bevel base, I had left metal standing proud on one half of the mould. I trimmed this and cast with it, the boolits looked better on the bases. I then went through my nose punches and selected one that would center the boolit nose well even though it made a ring on the nose. Evenly sized on all sides. My humble apologies to Lee for all those dark thoughts. Wish you would make the boolit designs without the bevel base, which I find to be useless and an annoyance.

fishhawk
01-08-2013, 07:26 PM
The nose punch in a luber/sizer being held in with a set screw can also send the boolit into the size die off center and drive you bonkers. Try holding the top punch in with just a gob of lube.

on1wheel01
01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I have found they are a pretty good company. For a lower priced group of products they are great(imo) and stand behind what they build. Heck everything I have is their brand, because well its what I can afford.

Crashbox
01-08-2013, 08:27 PM
I only have a very few LEE products but the ones I do have, get the job done and economically at that. The most expensive item I have LEE-wise is a $34.95 Factory Crimp Die for a .405 Winchester (it may in fact be one of their custom ones at that price) and it is fantastic.

williamwaco
01-08-2013, 10:37 PM
Here is another cause of out of round bullets with the 6 cavity lee molds.

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/missing_tumble_lube_grooves.htm

DLCTEX
01-08-2013, 11:48 PM
Here is another cause of out of round bullets with the 6 cavity lee molds.

http://reloadingtips.com/pages/missing_tumble_lube_grooves.htm
This was a standard lube groove mould and I went through all the checks for making sure the mould was closing, properly lubed, no touching the sprue lever, tried 4 different nose punches loose and tightened. I was only sizing down .001-.002 . In trying to not leave a ring on the nose, I was using a larger profile punch and tried a flat punch. I don't know if it was the lopsided base or the looser fit of the punch, but I'm happy.

303Guy
01-09-2013, 02:42 AM
Well, that's an interesting set of observations on Lee. I'm glad they seem OK because I have no hesitation buying their stuff. I've just fired up my new drip-o-matic which was affordable to me. I did not expect to get a Rolls Royce for the price of a Mini (saying that makes me feel old - I bet many youngsters haven't even heard of a Mini, let alone a Rolls! For those who don't know, Mini's grow up into a Rolls - if they live long enough! [smilie=1:)

William Yanda
01-09-2013, 07:52 AM
quote: "Mini's grow up into a Rolls - if they live long enough"
And I want to sell you this bridge across the Hudson River. Look at all that traffic, and if you owned it you would be collecting the tolls.

sthwestvictoria
01-09-2013, 08:01 AM
I love the Lee stuff - as others have stated I couldn't afford anything else.

Yanda I also love your signature.

1Shirt
01-09-2013, 10:19 AM
Don't ya just hate it when you come to the realization that you were wrong? That said, it takes a good man to admit being wrong and then pressing on!
1Shirt!

Jkallen83
01-09-2013, 10:32 AM
in the words of the great and wise Homer Simpson..... "DOH!!!" lol

williamwaco
01-09-2013, 09:34 PM
This was a standard lube groove mould and I went through all the checks for making sure the mould was closing, properly lubed, no touching the sprue lever, tried 4 different nose punches loose and tightened. I was only sizing down .001-.002 . In trying to not leave a ring on the nose, I was using a larger profile punch and tried a flat punch. I don't know if it was the lopsided base or the looser fit of the punch, but I'm happy.

The type of lube grooves is not relevant. It is the sprue lever handle that causes the issue but you have already figured that out.