PDA

View Full Version : .300 BlackOut

Dinger
01-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I would like to start a discussion from reloaders who have a suppressed .300 BO on the AR platform and are loading the NOE 247 grain cast boolit. I have these questions which I think, if answered, will benefit many:
1. I have read that when you setup an AR to shoot subsonic it will only work for 200 grainers plus. True/False??
2. What is your C.O.A.L. for the NOE 247 gr. boolit?
3. Is the upper groove in the boolit considered to be THE proper Crimp Groove and therefore a workable C.O.A.L. (which is within SAAMI specs)
4. Did you have any chambering issues during load work-up?
5. What is your successful configuration with respect to Bolt/Buffer/Tube/Spring/Gas Port/Barrel length??

Anything you can contribute within parameters of discussion will be very much appreciated.

AR/.300BO/NOE 247 Boolit

Dinger

Dinger
01-09-2013, 12:53 PM
I must assume, after 68 views and no replies, that no one viewing is doing this. Maybe I'm trying to do something that just won't work in my rifle......
Dinger

root
01-09-2013, 01:46 PM
I talked to NOE and was told there would be feed problems with their mold/boollit so I went with the lee mold.

Haven't gotten around to working up a load yet.
But the instructions for the lee mold ( Ya I read them)
said the H4227 was a better powder for this mold then the H110.

Reason I haven't worked up a load yet is the following.
SWR OCTANE 9HD 2ND Gen. should be here sometime this month.
Need a delta ring, barrel nut, gas block and tube yet.
Also need to order dies for the 300.

Already have everything else. including one of those chop saw jig trimmers.

Setup will be:
16 inch 1/8 twist. ar 5/8x24
Swr Octane HD9 2nd gen.
Adjustable gas block

I have a ton of 30 cal molds from 190 up.
including the lee BLKOUT mold so I should be able to get something working.

Parts for the upper are kinda on hold right now. As I'm on a thread-Athon with all my guns.

runfiverun
01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
well probably not.
airc the group buy for this boolit was something like 40 purchasers.
a small window.
many of them probablly haven't seen the thread and many/most/all of them aren't shooting suppressed.

Willbird
01-09-2013, 02:08 PM
Many supressor makers would discourage the use of cast bullets, I'm not sure what the whole picture is there if GOOD cast bullets, some with gas checks will still fill a supressor with lead or not.

root
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM
Many supressor makers would discourage the use of cast bullets, I'm not sure what the whole picture is there if GOOD cast bullets, some with gas checks will still fill a supressor with lead or not.

That's why I bought a OCTANE, it's take apart
like all my cans.

And DO NOT use gas checks through a can. if one comes off in it the following round will be a baffle strike.

I could post pix of what my .22 can looks like after 2300 rounds of 22 on FA.

NEVER EVER BUY A SEALED CAN!
Unless you plan on only shooting J bullets through it.

Moonie
01-09-2013, 02:12 PM

I guess you mean "Many supressor makers, except the ones that make them for 22 rim fire"...

Moonie
01-09-2013, 02:21 PM
I would like to start a discussion from reloaders who have a suppressed .300 BO on the AR platform and are loading the NOE 247 grain cast boolit. I have these questions which I think, if answered, will benefit many:
1. I have read that when you setup an AR to shoot subsonic it will only work for 200 grainers plus. True/False??

The issue is that normally with a carbine length gas system that is designed for both subsonic and supersonic there isn't enough gas volume/energy for loads with boolits under 200gr to properly cycle the action. This can be gotten over if you want to shoot ONLY subsonic rounds by using a pistol length gas port and lightening the other components such as BCG, buffer and springs.

2. What is your C.O.A.L. for the NOE 247 gr. boolit?

Some people report that their 300's feed just fine when loaded to the crimp groove. I have not been that lucky due to the magazine's i've used (USGI and PMAG) as they hang up at the front of the mag necessitating deep seating so that they are crimped in the middle of the front band. I do have some new Lancer mags that make work as they are designed a little differently at the front but your mileage may vary.

3. Is the upper groove in the boolit considered to be THE proper Crimp Groove and therefore a workable C.O.A.L. (which is within SAAMI specs)

Yes

4. Did you have any chambering issues during load work-up?

Not in either of the two uppers we have in the family.

5. What is your successful configuration with respect to Bolt/Buffer/Tube/Spring/Gas Port/Barrel length??

Both of our uppers are 16" standard bolt, carbine buffer, tube and spring, both are Carbine length gas port. Sons upper has CMMG barrel mine has AR Stoner, both 1-8" twist.

Anything you can contribute within parameters of discussion will be very much appreciated.

AR/.300BO/NOE 247 Boolit

Dinger

I've added my answers in blue.

Dinger
01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Yup, I think you're right. I was one of the 40. The suppressor really doesn't have much to do with my R&D at this point; I'm dealing with chambering/cycling problems. The 247 boolit just may be too much for this cartridge build. With respect to a gas check coming off - my upper is an integral suppressed/ported barrel system so there is no open chamber for one to kick into and make a baffle strike. I believe this design opens the door for safe loading/shooting of cast bullets in a suppressed platform but I've got a lot more questions to answer/problems to resolve before I can declare success. Any more input is welcome - thanks.

Dinger
01-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Moonie, thanks. My upper has an 8.5" barrel which is extended with a ported section to 16" which is covered by a suppressor. I'm running an Y/N NM Lite Bolt, low mass buffer and standard spring. Going back to the COAL - If I crimp on the groove it's about 2.200" which will fit any mag nicely. However, that length will not chamber in my barrel and that is I suspect the culprit. I need to focus on the chamber. SAAMI say's max COAL is 2.260" which I would think the barrel would/should be chambered to accept. More research to come...........

Willbird
01-10-2013, 12:54 AM
I guess you mean "Many supressor makers, except the ones that make them for 22 rim fire"...

It is a given with 22lr. And the mfg never hear from the guy who makes good bullets and does not fill the can with lead :-), or has a good barrel crown. One guy I know who is a supressor mfg found that one user did fill the can with lead, and the cause was a bad, very bad muzzle crown.

I only own one can so far, a 22 muzzle can, and it comes apart to be cleaned ;-).

Fistybum
01-12-2013, 03:25 AM
I'm running a 6.5" barrel with a 3 way block. YHM Cobra m2 can. My barrel likes the 247 noe loaded short.....crimping just at the front of the drive band.. 2.145...Lots of chambering issues until I figured out how short to load them.......The bore rider area stills engages the rifling. The unspent round exrtracts from the chamber with a bit of diffaculty and comes out with distinct grove/lands on the boolit... .

11.5gn 1680.... Ive put over 500 through it last summer.... Just put a nikon 3x p223 on it....Come on spring time!!

runfiverun
01-12-2013, 03:55 AM
i'd like to nominate aa-1680 as a powder choice.
with a consideration for suppressed the use of aa-2230.

r6487
01-12-2013, 09:29 AM
I'm shooting the NOE 247 suppressed but not in 300BLK. Bolt gun (not 308). IMR SR-4759 will case filler is working for me.

Dinger
01-12-2013, 06:05 PM
11.5 gr of 1680 produces what velocity? Cycling OK?

Dinger
01-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Fisty at 100yd, what kinda accuracy are you getting @ 2.145"?

Are you using gas checks?

I plan to try 1680 soon as I can find some. thanx.

Fistybum
01-13-2013, 01:10 AM
Fisty at 100yd, what kinda accuracy are you getting @ 2.145"?

Are you using gas checks?

I plan to try 1680 soon as I can find some. thanx.

No real paper shooting yet....No chrono......Mostly steel plates in a gravel pit. I had a really crappy nc star scope from the left over parts bin on it.... But just got a nikon p223 3x carbine scope on it....

.....I found a window where h110 would cycle the action,but really prefer the 1680....Altho dirty , and not as quiet as I would like.......... No gas check...

Dinger
01-13-2013, 09:52 PM
Right now I'm testing Lil'Gun and Russian 4198 (which has an equivalent burn rate as 1680) and It's cycling OK but the accuracy is sucky and it's hovering right around the subsonic range. I hope to get some 1680 soon. I'm finding most of these powders I've tried are causing a horrible amount of carbon residue. I'd like to find a solution to that also. Seating from 2.145" to 2.240" COAL seems to be a good depth and cycles. Thanks, gents for the input.
More work to do.........