PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on what to buy next...

Mlcompound
01-08-2013, 12:58 PM
I recently sold my beloved M&P9c. Now I need to decide what to get next. My list seems to be a odd choice. I am looking at a Rossi R92 357 lever rifle, a fullsize M&P45, a CZ75B, or save a few more dollars and get a Remington 1911 R1. The wife would prefer a lever rifle. I absolutley loved the M&P but wanted to go bigger (not compact). I would like to go 1911 but don't want to spend more money (would take some time to make that jump). Consider it a poll and let me know what you might do.

Thanks.

runfiverun
01-08-2013, 01:09 PM
levergun.

dragon813gt
01-08-2013, 01:16 PM
I have a R1 and a 357 Lever but mine's a Marlin. They always go to the range with me and I started hunting w/ the Marlin. IMO, you need both of them :)

MBTcustom
01-08-2013, 02:07 PM
It's hard to beat a Rock Island 1911 for the money, and the last Rossi lever I held was less than impressive with the fit of the parts, and the quality of workmanship.
Still, I would probably be leaning towards the Rossi, because they are just really fun and cheap to shoot. Hard to see how you could go wrong with the levergun.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-08-2013, 02:40 PM
Since I don't have one (and want one) ......... lever gun.

P.K.
01-08-2013, 02:46 PM
Sr-1911.

Dorf
01-08-2013, 04:48 PM
Sr-1911.

What he said! But be prepared to wait, and wait, and wait somemore. I've had one on order for nine months and it's still a "no-show"! Guess it's be a "full term" baby! :-)

shdwlkr
01-08-2013, 04:51 PM
If you want something that shoots the 45 auto look at the new springfield xds in 45 caliber
nothing wrong with a lever other than one isn't enough.
RIA makes a good pistol for those who don't like paying for the name on the slide

Beerd
01-08-2013, 06:38 PM
The wife would prefer a lever rifle.

Keep her happy, that's my vote.

1Shirt
01-09-2013, 10:15 AM
Yep, keep her happy-- go lever!
1Shirt!

Wayne Smith
01-09-2013, 11:44 AM
What do you plan to do with it? Is this for plinking and fun or do you need a serious weapon? Talk to your wife about the difference. If possible take her to a range where you can rent a 1911 and let her shoot one to see what it's like. Many are afraid of them because of the size and don't realize that the size makes them easy to shoot. Then decide together what the priorities are. You are likely to have multiple guns, just take time and decide which to get first.

StratsMan
01-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Personally, I'd buy the 357 lever, but just 'cuz I want one and I have the 45's I want...

So I'm with Wayne on this one: what's it's real purpose, and how many others do you have in those calibers??? Buy for purpose first, for fun second... (gasp: is that blasphemy???)

Blacksmith
01-09-2013, 01:13 PM
Buy the 1911 while you can it will last forever, then have a boating accident. The lever will take longer to ban.

shdwlkr
01-09-2013, 01:29 PM
You know if we are looking at semi auto firearms being banned in the near future how do we know that what we have is going to be grandfathered in without our being finger printed, photographed and $200 for each one we have. Just asking here, hope I am so wrong but until we see the final action anything is suspect in my book.

I do think the real goal is to disarm the American public so anyone who doesn't follow the laws and even our own government can beat us anytime they want and we can do nothing to stop it.

Show me one country in the world where the removal of firearms has stopped violence. If someone wants bad enough to kill another person(s) they will find the means to do it.

Mlcompound
01-09-2013, 01:39 PM
They are for plinking. I do have a hankering to try cowboy action shooting some day. The real deciding factor is the wifey. I am going lever gun. Thank you all. I will post when I get it.

Sent with my Evo 4g from Tapatalk.

Tazman1602
01-09-2013, 01:45 PM
If you have feeding issues with the Rossi PM me. I've got two and can tell you how to get it to feed like butter. I've got the 24" octagon barrel for me and a 16" round barrel for wife. We both shoot .357/38 and tuned properly you will NOT be unhappy with that Rossi.....

Art

snuffy
01-09-2013, 01:54 PM
It's hard to beat a Rock Island 1911 for the money, and the last Rossi lever I held was less than impressive with the fit of the parts, and the quality of workmanship.

I got a Rossi M-92 in 45 colt. Why? Because I had the brass from loading for my nephew's Ruger vaquero. And I have several 45 molds that work well in the colt cartridge.

Goodsteel, you're quite correct that the fit&finish of the Rossi is less than the best. I never let that stop me, or I would never have bought a lot of guns. It just plain works, and is quite accurate with every cast boolit I tried, and some J-words as well.[smilie=1:

There's nothing like a 1911. The accessories that you can add is unlimited. Hard choice to make between those 2.

As for the CZ75B, I have one in 9mm, a cold war commemorative. You have to know going in that the CZ will have a lousy trigger. They do it on purpose to prevent AD's. It CAN be smoothed, but be prepared to spend around $100.00 and be without it for some time. (Unless you have it done locally with a quick turn-around).

Typical trigger pull on the CZ is grate, grind, drag, then a build up at the end of the massive creep to final break of the sear. You can actually see the hammer being cocked more as you pull the trigger!:roll:

Mlcompound
01-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I am actually looking forward to doing some tuning. Who knows, maybe I will learn how to do some gunsmithing. Just what I need, another hobby.

Sent with my Evo 4g from Tapatalk.

Boolseye
01-09-2013, 11:29 PM
I am actually looking forward to doing some tuning. Who knows, maybe I will learn how to do some gunsmithing. Just what I need, another hobby
It's a joy to work on your own gun 8-)

I've been wanting a .357 lever myself...congrats.

Tazman1602
01-09-2013, 11:40 PM
The .357 Rossi's are a HOOT to shoot. When running .38 Special rounds through my 24" barrel model, it sounds and feels just like a .22. First time I tried it I thought I had a squib load. Try out www.stevesgunz.com he's a Rossi expert and has a DVD on tearing them down that is OK although focus could be better. That DVD and a set of springs and the .357 Rossi is a great rifle.

I'm dying to try one out in .44 Mag next. Lever guns may be the next "Assualt Weapon". What could be better than 14 rounds of .357??????

I do have to admit that I have wanted a Marlin 1894 in .357 for years but the price on them is way out there. For what one Marlin would have cost me I now have two Rossi's. I know, they ain't a Marlin but they ain't bad either..................

Art