PDA

View Full Version : School me on wheel weights

nicholst55
07-07-2007, 10:23 AM
I have decided to resume casting after a 25+ year hiatus. Back then, wheel weights were wheel weights. Well, mostly. Now? I'm confused. I know about zinc weights - most are marked 'Z' or 'Zn.' What about some of the 'other' metals?

Yesterday I called around the local tire shops and found a couple that would give me wheel weights. It cost me 2 six-packs and 2 business cards for what ended up as two FULL 5-gallon buckets. I'm fostering a long-term relationship with these guys!

While sorting out some of the trash, I noticed a weight marked 'AL.' Does that mean aluminum? I know enough to keep my melt temperature down to around 650*, so that any missed zinc and all the steel clips float to the top. What else should I be on the lookout for?

:castmine:

ron brooks
07-07-2007, 10:45 AM
AL on a wheel weight means i is for Aluminum rinms, no that the wheel weight is aluminum.

THe best way to be sure you are not getting contaminates into your casting alloy is to keep the tempature between 600 and 650. This way your lead based alloys melt and your zinc and steel weights will float and can be skimmed off.

**oneshot**
07-08-2007, 06:12 AM
I just melt them at 650 and quickly skim out anything that doesn't melt quickly.