PDA

View Full Version : This is breaking my heart.

Boz330
01-07-2013, 09:08 AM
In November my home guard (Emma) was diagnosed with bone cancer. It started out about the size of a half golf ball, it is now the size of a soft ball.
On New Years day she was yelping every once in a while so we started he on the pain pills which are an opium derivative. Well it really did the trick. Friday when I got home from work she was really feeling no pain and wanted to play like a puppy. I tried to get her to slow down but she just wanted to romp. After the leg gave out a couple times she slowed down. I thought that she would be feeling it Saturday and I was right.
From the time she was house broke she has slept at the foot of our bed which is upstairs. Saturday morning she had a real problem getting down the stairs and was real unstable walking even after getting her pills. Sunday morning I had to carry her down stairs which isn't easy with a Rottweiler even though her weight is down from the cancer. All day she was even more unstable on her feet.
Last night when it was time to go to bed we blocked the stairs so she wouldn't try to climb them. Well she wasn't going to have that so she barked till I came down and slept in the downstairs bedroom where she slept at the foot of the bed.
I just can't believe how good she was on Friday and how bad this morning. If things don't turn around it looks like I may have to put her down this week. I have had to do this before but that doesn't make it any easier. In the past there has been no doubt but Emma is still very alert and aware of what's going on.

Bob

WILCO
01-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Men have to do the hard things in life Bob. Be strong. Move forward. End her suffering.
Last one I put down was old as dirt and a puppy till the last breath. I'll fire off a prayer for you.

x101airborne
01-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Yes, it is a hard thing. I will pray for you both.

41 mag fan
01-07-2013, 09:26 AM
Hard to part with your best friend at times. Sometimes it's best to end their pain though, and the sad thing is they're loyal to the end.....

Dean D.
01-07-2013, 09:29 AM
I feel your pain Bob. I've been down this same road too many times in recent years and it never gets easier. Do the right thing and don't let your friend suffer. I too will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

01-07-2013, 09:49 AM
Just lost my Buddy to a fast moving car. He was chasing after me--we went every where together. It was my fault and burying him was just awful. Had to put down a Springer several years ago--hardest thing I ever did and will not do it again that way. Have a new "buddy" now. She is a Poo-chi. Runt of the bunch, solid black, short slick hair, and fiesty. She and I are going to be great friends. Laying on my lap right now curled up. About the size of my fist-named her "Pretty Girl"--and she is--lol.

captaint
01-07-2013, 10:23 AM
It's just that it's hard to part with old friends. At least you know she has no chance of recovery. Ever heard of the Rainbow Bridge ?? We'll see them again, right there. You're both in my thoughts. Mike

theperfessor
01-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Give her all the love and attention you can as long as you can, but when she hurts too much put her down as painlessly as possible. I'd say more but my iPad is getting wet.

Dave C.
01-07-2013, 11:25 AM
The day we bring they home we know this day is coming.
Treat them with the respect they have for you and do the hard thing.
Dave C. And his buddy. Jake.

MBTcustom
01-07-2013, 11:50 AM
The hardest part of being master to a truly awesome dog, is the final obligation.

blackthorn
01-07-2013, 12:02 PM
You have my sincere sympathy! My last dog was a lab cross mutt and he lived 16 years. He got so stove up he couldn't even get himself out of the rain and I was out of town working. LOML phoned me and we decided the best thing was to take him to the vet. Gail and my DIL took him and he went quietly. We decided not to get another dog because at our age(s) it would likely outlive us and someone else would have to take care of it. Not fair to the dog and not fair to the kid who would likely have to take it. Now we have one cat left (of the three we had) and when she goes we likely will not get another for the same reasons.

wch
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
My son lost his loyal and brave shepherd, Denis, in Afghanistan.
When I lost my best friend Bucky, my son told me "It will always hurt to remember him, just think of the good things and it will ease with time".
Sometimes an old man can learn a valuable lesson from a kid.

DLCTEX
01-07-2013, 12:42 PM
My buddy Duke had a tumor as large as a football and had to be put down. I had rather be put down myself than go through that again. Now we have Slade, and I find myself fighting such an attachment again. Praying for you.

smokeywolf
01-07-2013, 12:44 PM
You'll do the right thing for Emma because you love her. Remember that because of your special love for her, she had a better life with you than she might have had with anyone else. Also remember that the joy Emma has brought to you and your family will always far and away outweigh the sorrow she leaves behind.

wch said it very well.

smokeywolf

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 01:17 PM
i have an arrangement for these situations with my brother in law...
it still ain't easy.

Boz330
01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
i have an arrangement for these situations with my brother in law...
it still ain't easy.

I understand but with a dog that has loved me as much as she has, I can't let her go home without being by her side. Her 3 favorite things in life are being with me no matter where, going to the airport, and playing with the twins across the road.
Damned allergies are about to short out the keyboard.

Bob

snuffy
01-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Here's a you-tube rendition of the rainbow bridge;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3S86-p1A4

Here's another video with the ORIGINAL verses of the rainbow bridge. Because the original author is unknown, many people have tried to "improve", embellish, IOW RUIN it.

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Why do we willingly allow ourselves to continually be open to this kind of pain? After the last one, my beloved ziggy, a springer, I swore I wound never be hurt like that again! Yeah, sure, within 2 months I had another dog, a rescue from a bad situation. My reward has been his undying devotion, love, and protection.

Boz, do what you know you have to. Bravo for knowing you have to be with her at the end. An extension of the trust that develops between us and our dogs/pets.

HighHook
01-07-2013, 02:58 PM
My little Pooch is in the same shape as yours, We need to give em lots of love. Prayers sent

LocoFixer
01-07-2013, 03:05 PM
Last spring my wife and I got the long face about our beloved dog blue her chest was full of cancer. She lasted another month before she couldnt hardly walk and had to make the decision. Its still rough since we still have one of her pups and they look and act almost the same. Snuff isnt near the dog her mom was but watching her brings back so many good memories. I understand your pain and will keep you in my prayers.

Hamish
01-07-2013, 03:30 PM
Wish I could say something to make you feel better, but it's hard, and it's *supposed* to be hard to say goodbye to someone that we have loved and been loved, especially so with a four legged critter that loves so unconditionally.

TheCelt
01-07-2013, 09:57 PM
Bob, she knows you've got her back. She'll let you know when it is time.

My prayers are with you and Emma. I just lost my #2 Son Yeager to Canine Lymphoma Nov 28th and I can tell you that it gets easier, but it always hurts.

nicholst55
01-07-2013, 10:10 PM
My son's 11 year-old Golden Retriever is beginning to have trouble climbing stairs and jumping into and out of the family SUV. While he's still relatively young, it appears that his hips are deteriorating. I recommended taking him to the vet to see what can be done before he gets any worse. When he goes, the kids (5 and 3) are going to be missing a major part of their young lives.

My thoughts are with you and your dog. They ask so little and give so much; they truly are man's best friend.

Heavy lead
01-07-2013, 10:12 PM
Be strong, you have my sympathy and prayers.

Boz330
01-08-2013, 10:39 AM
My thoughts are with you and your dog. They ask so little and give so much; they truly are man's best friend.

You are absolutely right, there are no conditions to their love and devotion.
Appointment with the vet at 4:00 today. I was hoping that she might be somewhat better when I got home but the deterioration is worse. She could barely walk last night to take a pee. This morning I had to carry her out and she didn't pee so I'm guessing the kidneys are shutting down. And when she tried to take a step she fell on her nose. IT IS TIME.
At least she got to go to deer camp and Christmas this year with relatively little pain. A pic when she was still pretty young.
Thanks for all of the prayers and support.

Bob

shooterg
01-08-2013, 12:01 PM
So sorry. Been there. We've been lucky enough to have a vet that will come to the house and let 'em pass at home on the farm , same as I want to go.

Kent Fowler
01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
My dog Petey went deaf a few months back and had been acting strangely the last couple days. I had an appointment with the vet today at 10:15 to check him out, but when I went to get him around 0900 and carry him to the truck, he had passed away. Something told me earlier to take a picture of him, so I did, about an hour before he died. Not a good day.

Boz330
01-08-2013, 02:30 PM
My dog Petey went deaf a few months back and had been acting strangely the last couple days. I had an appointment with the vet today at 10:15 to check him out, but when I went to get him around 0900 and carry him to the truck, he had passed away. Something told me earlier to take a picture of him, so I did, about an hour before he died. Not a good day.
Sorry to hear that Kent, sounds like we both are having a bad day.

Bob

shdwlkr
01-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Many don't like cats but I had to put one of mine down last spring, it was very hard as she had been with me for 20 years which if you don't know is a long time for a cat. Had one is service that keep me safe.
The first cat I ever had came to my bed when I 3 weeks old and stayed until I was 16. I have had dogs and yes they are to part with also. Right now my pup is 7 years old and is a miniature Australian Shepard way to smart for her own good but a very good friend to me. She even knows when I am getting sick sometimes before I do and will curl up with me to keep me quite.
I totally understand how hard it is to part with a dear friend but if the cancer is taking that much of life from her then you have to decide when enough is enough and let her go.