PDA

View Full Version : Bug Out/Get Home/Emergency Needs Bag, need opinions on an update to my current setup

cloakndagger
01-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Since I started working, actualy since my third yr of college I've always carried a small ruck in my car with a change of clothes, socks, shoes, and an extra pocketknife. It is about time to rotate out the clothes, and im thinking it is time for an update. I keep the bag in case something (like an exploding inkpen or a clumsy co worker in the lunchroom) happens to my clothing or if we are required to spend a few days at work in an emergency situation. I would like to add some non temp sensitive toiletries and more ammo for my daily carry, what other things would yall suggest?

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Small hatchet, fire making goodies, small tarp for shelter,
and a flask of your favorite antifreeze :mrgreen:

Doc65
01-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Flashlight & extra batteries, preferably one that takes the lithium 3v batteries & uses super led rather than bulb. The lithium batteries won't be affected by cold, and with the LED they run a long time. I have a browning one that I picked up in Morgan UT at the browning outlet that is 5 watt. It is brighter than a 3 D cell mag light, much more compact and the batteries as mentioned, don't care about the temp.

Bored1
01-07-2013, 12:25 AM
A small first aide kit is always good. Don't buy one, just put one together. As a nurse I can tell you the majority of things in the prepackaged first aide kits aren't all that helpful when something does happen. Most important things to keep in mind are that you will need to clean the injury, stabilize the injury for transport, and cover the injury while in transport. A pair of gloves, Betadine wipes, guaze, tape, butterfly bandages, a few finger bandages, and 2 velcro ended ace wraps can save you a world of trouble from my experiences. And for some reason most commercial kits come with a bunch of stuff that will just. The kit I have in my tackle bag, boat, and glove box all include these and fit in a sandwich ziplock.

chrisw
01-07-2013, 01:03 AM
scalple, suture kit, 550 parachute cord, bennadryl, couple valium, packs of spam, snickers and peanut m&Ms

forgot- caffenne (even pills/powder), water purification tablets if your in the east/bottled water out west. I also have baby wipes, what's better are these huge ones they make for umm... Women (think paper towel sized baby wipe) knife

I buy a lowes christmas time booked sized tool kit too for all my vehicles. 9.99

I always have some strong pain pills but make sure you have a script nowdays

MT Gianni
01-07-2013, 01:08 AM
I would put food and water in the truck bag. Get a altoid can prep kit and carry that with you for fire making, blade and minimal 1st aid. Carry some good pain meds, no doze, vitamins and water purifing pills. BOB has a rain suit or space blanket.

Gunload Master
01-07-2013, 01:29 AM
Duck tape a million and one uses.

waksupi
01-07-2013, 01:41 AM
Sanitary napkins. You have to buy them for the women occasionally, may as well have some good compresses in your gear. Ask at the store which ones are most absorbent! [smilie=1:

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 01:46 AM
paracord, duct tape, a 3" drop point folder,bandaids, a pair of leather gloves, and some vaseline.

xs11jack
01-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Don't forget the Leatherman type multi-tool. And maybe a swiss army knife, instead of the one you are carrying now. Get the one that has a phillips screwdriver blade and not that stupid corkscrew! And a space blanket.
Jack

MtGun44
01-07-2013, 02:22 AM
Fire making tools [ I personally favor flint and steel, and butane is THE tinder of choice ;-) ]
make some rolled newsprint (~2" long, 3/4" diam, tie with string) soaked in melted parafin fire starters.

First aid - +1 on bored1's comments, but find and add an adult and child sized plastic airway, major big deal with an unconcious person can be keeping airway open - these
are small, cheap and hard to fake. Add a pack of quick clotting granules, too. Bleeding
you cannot stop and lack of air will kill in minutes, all else is stabilize and transport.

+1 on tarp, water and some kind of storable food. Look for shelf stable, no or near
no prep, concentrated energy. Hard candy and oatmeal breakfast bars are both good
for keeping you going for short periods like a few days.

Bill

chrisw
01-07-2013, 02:39 AM
I keep a corkscrew in the car too- probably the most used piece in my bag!

Blacksmith
01-07-2013, 04:36 AM
Plus one on the food. I always kept some stashed in my desk at work just in case, usually some microwaveable meals that don't need refrigeration a couple of cans of Chef Boyardee pasta, some Rapid Mac nukeable Mac and Cheese,Tang makes water taste better. Why you ask?

My brother got snowed in at work for three days, they ended up breaking into the vending machines.
I was "trapped" by an unruly strike mob overnight once.
Several times work problems prevented getting meals.

Have extra because if it happens you will be the most popular guy in the office.

P.K.
01-07-2013, 07:55 AM
Sanitary napkins. You have to buy them for the women occasionally, may as well have some good compresses in your gear. Ask at the store which ones are most absorbent! [smilie=1:

I'll go +1 on this and add a couple of them round things with the strings. You can stuff one in a puncture/bullet wound to clot the bleeding. Superglue/new skin for deeper cuts a bandaid just won't do. Another you can pick up at a pet supply store like quick clot but for dogs when their nails are cut short. I've used it before, good stuff.

For your cell, pick up a B&D voltage inverter, about $25.00 at your local builders store, it peaks at 100W and will run off your Cig lighter or accesory outlet. Perfect for keeping the phone/GPS charged off either USB or plug. I have a Brunton solor cell charger, $35.00? from Flea Bay that will charge my Rugby Smart twice with it's on board battery before solar is needed. Complete charge time about two hours. I also DLed the Army Survival Guide to my families phones in the chance (Heaven Forbid) something happens to them and my brainpan is somewhere else.

Boerrancher
01-07-2013, 08:29 AM
Lots of good suggestions here and I am going to make a couple of more and try to improve on one or two. Instead of a tarp, spend a few bucks and buy a US army poncho and poncho liner. They are more compact than a tarp, and more versatile. They also eliminate the need for a space blanket. I lived for several weeks in the mtns with temperatures in the mid 20's with nothing more than the clothes on my back and a poncho and poncho liner for shelter and warmth. Also you can not beat a couple of MRE's in your pack. 2 MRE's can sustain a healthy individual for more than a week if they are eaten piece meal.

Water is always an issue. I toss a couple bottles of water, and a 1qt canteen that is empty, with a steel canteen cup, cover and water purification pills in my ruck. The bottles will get me by for a day or so, until I can find a water source, in an emergency situation save your plastic water bottles, in a pinch they can be filled with clear water and placed in the direct sunlight for 8 hours and the UV rays will kill all water born pathogens.

Fire is also very important, but depending on the situation maybe not that important, and could actually lead to your death. In a disaster situation if you are healthy and trying to get home, a fire at night and sometimes in the day is a big invitation for unwanted guests. Especially at night, because it can be seen for greater distances, and we as humans have this strange attraction to fire. If we see a camp fire we are naturally drawn to it, if it is our fire we love to stare at it. Facing your fire at night is a good way to end up dead in a large scale emergency situation, because it kills your ability to see any approaching danger in the dark. The military does not build camp fires for a reason.

A firearm is a must, along with a couple of .015 guitar strings. Depending on how many days and what kind of situation you are in will determine the firearm. For me a rifle is almost a must. A good lever gun in a pistol cal is hard to beat for my situation, as I live and travel in a rural area. City dwellers may want a handgun. The guitar strings have multiple uses, everything from snares to trip wires, anything your mind can imagine. Also don't forget ammo for the gun.

Best wishes,

Joe

44fanatic
01-07-2013, 08:30 AM
I keep one in my truck that is just enough to get me home:
Food & water: small container of peanut butter, crackers, couple of small cans of bean&weenies, Kippersnacks, power bars, 4 bottles of water, water filter (homemade), bleach, empty aluminum water bottle
[B]Shelter: Tarp, paracord, poncho, space blanket
Fire: Matches, lighter, candles, tinder material, magnesium fire starter
First aid kit (small trauma kit plus a few extra feminine pads)
Tools: Knife, multitool, flashlight (w/ extra batteries), picture wire, duct & electrical tape), notepad & pencil, compass

TheDoctor
01-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Bag of Doritos! Eat it if hungry, and they make excellent tinder.

garym1a2
01-07-2013, 09:32 AM
Toothbrush and toothpaste, asprin, hay twine is much better than paracord.
Compass and a Glock.

01-07-2013, 09:40 AM
Couple cans of sardines. Small but packed with protein and juice. Smell bad but worth it. Needs no prep and can be eaten with your fingers--of course you will have to lick them clean---LOL. PS, your wife will never believe you were stranded alone.

cloakndagger
01-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Well, i guess i shouldve mentioned what lives in every vehicle we own,
Maglight, 5D.
Ka-bar.
Tarp.
First aid kit.
2 rolls toilet paper.
1bx midol (mans best friend)
Rope, 2,000 lb test w tow hooks.
Box o clif bars.

Currently I keep a 223 rifle in there for coyotes in the cattle, and 75 rds of ammo+ my old taurus .357 mag w 3 speed loaders..

Items i may add To car.
Machete.
Small blowtorch.
Hank of paracord.
Couple of mres.
I carry a leatherman and a sog flash II on me at all times, and my edc loop with a small compass, lockpicks, breacher bar, grapple, and mini screwdriver. Also a gerber artifact and minimaglight on my keychain.

Realy these never crossed my mind when i made my original post.
Stuff to add to the bag.
Smaller first aid kit.
Firestarter.
Poncho.
Hank of paracord.
Non meltable toiletries. (otherwise the MS heat will cause problems)
Snare wire

blackthorn
01-07-2013, 12:41 PM
It depends on the most likely "need" situation you might encounter. My "kit" varies depending on what I think might go wrong. I.E.--when I traveled for work I had an ammo can with a small Primus stove, small aluminum bottle of white gas (for the stove) SS cup, midsize hunting knife, candle lantern and candles, brass snare wire, matches. In a separate box I had two wool blankets sealed up in plastic bags and two 45 gal drum size black garbage bags. In winter I carried extra heavy cloths and good winter boots. When I went hunting (fly-in), my first-aid box held (in additin to a lot of stuff already mentioned), a small curved needle and two packs of dental floss. The floss can be used as thread to sew up ripped cloths or, if necessary, you!

dakotashooter2
01-07-2013, 12:54 PM
I like the adhesiveless medical wrap in my first aid kits and throw in the free floss dispensers I get when I go to the dentist. I carry a knife daily but one can never have too many knives so 2 go in the pack. I have come to love my gerber hand axe and retractable brush saw. Honey is also an under appreciated emergency food source. It doesn't break down, is easy to digest, provides quick energy and has many health benefit.

runfiverun
01-07-2013, 12:59 PM
honey can also be used as an antiseptic,and as a bait source for getting protein.

MT Gianni
01-07-2013, 01:05 PM
Couple cans of sardines. Small but packed with protein and juice. Smell bad but worth it. Needs no prep and can be eaten with your fingers--of course you will have to lick them clean---LOL. PS, your wife will never believe you were stranded alone.

It only takes a few minutes to make a pair of chopsticks.

chrisw
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
It only takes a few minutes to make a pair of chopsticks.

and a lifetime to learn how to use them:kidding:

elkhuntfever
01-07-2013, 01:15 PM
This post and replies are interesting in showing how the mind works, and everyone is different in some way.

Beau Cassidy
01-07-2013, 02:03 PM
A P-38, gun, ammo, change of clothes, tarp, firestarter. It depends on exactly what the situation is, though. Are you just trying to get home or is it a doomsday scenario. In the later you can use what you have to obtain what you need.

starmac
01-07-2013, 02:23 PM
LOL Are we talking a bug out/in bag or a bug out 20 foot trailer here. Every different location and climate will require you to taylor your supplies to your area.

pmer
01-07-2013, 02:44 PM
With my luck my PC would catch a virus and I wouldn't know what the sardines and chop sticks are for...

In my case for me "at work" is in a field service truck. I can be 10 to 75 miles from home. I suppose if the roads are clear and the truck is running it is less of a big deal. But if the truck is a nogo or dead, maybe a cheap 20" bike would be helpfull. I remeber the drive home with the news of my father in law passing; it was the longest 100 plus mile drive. I can't imagine being stuck on foot far from home like if a EMP weapon goes off.

Company policy is no firearms in their vehicles too.

CATS
01-07-2013, 02:50 PM
You may only need a little taxi or tow truck $.

chrisw
01-07-2013, 03:42 PM
You may only need a little taxi or tow truck $.

how often we forget in planning for the worse case that we forget the usual... I've had my woman borrow my debit card and not have enough cash for gas before. Much more often than a zombie invasion or EMP/nuke go off...

so a couple 20's and a couple blank checks might save the day!

smokeywolf
01-07-2013, 03:44 PM
+1 on dakotashooter2 and runfiverun's recommendation of honey. Try to get 8+ Manuka honey; comes from New Zealand only. Supposedly outstanding for internal and topical use. Like regular honey on steroids. Widely used in New Zealand hospitals on burn patients.
Also, not as sticky as honey, "Burn Jel Plus". If you've ever had an airbag deploy on you, they frequently cause pretty bad friction burns.

waksupi is obviously one of the old time first aid experts. Womens sanitary napkins (the old fashioned thick ones) are designed for absorbing blood and make great compresses for control of heavy bleeding. Add some Celox and wrap it all up with an Israeli Battle Dressing and you've got pretty good hemorrhage control. Applied correctly and it can even control arterial bleeding.

chrisw mentioned a suture kit, but unless you've had a fair amount of practice suturing, your better off with a skin stapler. Also, suturing without the use of an anesthetic is not always doable. Since lidocaine can't be had by non medical professionals, "Burn Jel Plus" has 2.5% lidocaine and can be somewhat effective as a topical anesthetic. Lastly, if there is any way at all, leave the suturing/stapling to a doctor and control bleeding with a tourniquet and/or a hemostatic (clotting agent) like Celox and packing/pressure dressing.

Water
Betadine (More effective than alcohol. Mentioned by Bored1)
Tourniquet
Cravat - Large Triangular Bandage, can be used for arm sling.
Trauma/Bandage Shears
Surgical/Dust Masks for First Aid, Dust Storm, Building Collapse, Earth Quake, Volcano, whatever.
GI Blanket
Space Blanket
Ibuprofen and stronger if you have them
Benadryl for bug bites
Insect Repellent
Antacids
Eye wash
MREs (often salty, pack more water)
Whistle
Flashlight or Headlamp and lightsticks (already mentioned but worth repeating)
Pepper spray
Survival Heat Pads (like Hot Hands or Heatmax)

Lots of great suggestions by others:
Duct Tape - I also keep some long cable/wire ties in the truck.

smokeywolf

Love Life
01-07-2013, 04:15 PM
A map is always good...

cloakndagger
01-07-2013, 05:42 PM
Lol yes the responses in here show a lot about their owners. pertinant info.
I work 7mi from home over farmiliar territory in a local Hospital. This is south MS, so worse case scenario is snow more than 3" during the winter. It has been several years since we had a sub zero night. Main concern is summer hurricane season (which would see me stranded on duty at work for a week or more, as in Katrina (3wks, 2 suits of clothes and 4 SHORT,COLD showers. Slept on a stock shelf in the supply room.)
Mainly I need a rounded out supply of stuff to make daily living sans modern convienences like running water, ice, hot food, home, and law enforcement. Also the supply serves to watch my back if there is an incident whereby my clothes are rendered unwearable.

RoyEllis
01-07-2013, 11:03 PM
Something nobody has mentioned...fishing gear. A few hooks, split shot & small spool of line will allow you to put out some setlines to catch dinner for you while you attend to other tasks. In survival situations, trapping and fishing with setlines will maximize your potential protein gain with the least effort on your part, and help gather food while you work on shelter, area recon, etc.:drinks:

DIRT Farmer
01-08-2013, 12:19 AM
#1 coffee bags. I think clearer with coffee even if it is cold.

Tourniquet? have you hadthe training on how to use one? when applied that limb is gone then you need to know how to remove major body parts. Better to learn compression dressings. In 37 years of emergency services including 20 + as an EMT/P I never needed to use one. I did use several pressure dressings.

mpmarty
01-08-2013, 01:36 AM
box of bottled water, MREs at least three, Kalashnikov in 7.62 NATO with 5 20round mags and of course my carry piece a 45acp, poncho w/ liner plus space blanket (no fires and I want to stay warm) Silva Compass, Glock field knife w/ scabbard, 30ft of 35lb monofilament, 15ft of piano wire, roll of duct tape and a roll of electrical tape. This all fits in my BOB in the trunk of my car except for the AK.

runfiverun
01-08-2013, 01:50 AM
it's funny the stuff i take for granted working out in the desert/prairies and such for days at a time.
things that are just in the work bag all the time because they are needed when they are needed.
stuff i have learned from being stuck in the middle of nowhere.
i can open a can of food with a pocket knife faster than i can with a p-51 or p-38,the lid makes a great spoon, and i actually prefer canned spaghetti cold.
canned fruit is a great morale booster,hard candy will get you along for a good while untill real food is available.
extra socks are worth more than gold,water is even more valuable.
and extra cigarettes make you very popular.

Blacksmith
01-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Betadine as mentioned by Smokeywolf can also be used for water purification.

I have carried a P-38 and air force magnesium fire starter on my key ring, in my pocket with my two knives, since before I left the service a looong time ago. Every thing else is in addition.

My vehicles also contain air pump, jumper cables, plug in 12 vt. light, can of flat repair, auto fuses, an assortment of tools for minor repairs, and the old parts I last replaced (wiper blades, filters, belts) still have enough life to get you somewhere.

smokeywolf
01-08-2013, 05:14 AM
DIRT Farmer,
Never attained EMT-P cert. Had EMT-1 cert. back before the designations were changed to B, I, and P. Also headed up security for a hospital for about a year and took several classes available to the employees.
Yes, I was trained to apply a tourniquet. But your right, people need to be cautioned about performing procedures they haven't been trained to do, as it is possible to do more harm than good.

You're also right about the coffee bags. Comfort food can really brighten one's outlook when faced with a bleak situation. Might I also add instant hot cocoa to that.

smokeywolf

x101airborne
01-08-2013, 09:52 AM
Even if you don't smoke, carry a pack of smokes. Trade for something or just hand em out one at a time. Makes you indespensible like a medic to a group of soldiers or anyone else for that matter. "Were taking the guns, ammo, food, and the guy with the smokes. Leave the Lieutenant to get someone else killed." That type of thing.
Peanut butter and honey are forms of protein and sugar (glucose) that do not go bad or need refrigeration. You cannot find a better bug out food for short trips (less than a week) that will last longer or work better and are more digestable without creating a lot of waste (bathroom breaks). And yes, in a survival situation or combat type thing, taking a bathroom break can and often will get you killed or give you a good case of dysentery. Plus it takes time away from moving or concentrating on a direction. And when you are squatting it is possible to loose your direction of travel without a compass or making mental note of landmarks on the horizion.

44fanatic
01-08-2013, 10:37 AM
Even if you don't smoke, carry a pack of smokes. Trade for something or just hand em out one at a time. Makes you indespensible like a medic to a group of soldiers or anyone else for that matter. "Were taking the guns, ammo, food, and the guy with the smokes. Leave the Lieutenant to get someone else killed." That type of thing.
Peanut butter and honey are forms of protein and sugar (glucose) that do not go bad or need refrigeration. You cannot find a better bug out food for short trips (less than a week) that will last longer or work better and are more digestable without creating a lot of waste (bathroom breaks). And yes, in a survival situation or combat type thing, taking a bathroom break can and often will get you killed or give you a good case of dysentery. Plus it takes time away from moving or concentrating on a direction. And when you are squatting it is possible to loose your direction of travel without a compass or making mental note of landmarks on the horizion.

You just reminded me of retired 1SG I worked with at Ft Knox. He was a armor platoon sergeant during Desert Storm and his wife would send him cartons of cigarettes that he would freely distribute to the smokers in his platoon. He ran short and went to bum one from a Soldier that he had already given several cartons to...Soldier didnt want to give one up as he was down to 3 or so packs left. Long story short, Soldier was "quietly" reminded of who had given him the smokes and if he didnt give one up what the **** whoopin was gonna be like. Bill got his smoke and waited a few more weeks for the next care package to arrive before he got is next smoke.

MT Gianni
01-08-2013, 11:01 PM
#1 coffee bags. I think clearer with coffee even if it is cold.

Tourniquet? have you hadthe training on how to use one? when applied that limb is gone then you need to know how to remove major body parts. Better to learn compression dressings. In 37 years of emergency services including 20 + as an EMT/P I never needed to use one. I did use several pressure dressings.

Current 1st aid training is back to the use of tourniquets. Apply and keep pressure on for 50 minutes out of each hour, or 25 every half hour. The blood flow will prevent tissue loss. War in the sand has found the most effective way to save limbs.

10x
01-09-2013, 12:55 AM
I have a backpack with
an insulated space blanket, matches, fire starter, water purifier tablets, knife, folding saw, change of clothes, 2 led flashlights, 100 ft para cord, 15 ft snare wire. 100 metres of dental floss, 100 metres of braided nylon fishing line, 3 barbed fish hooks (it is a survival kit, not a fishing kit), a Swedish fire starter, small vasoline, glasses repair kit, leatherman, and an 5" adjustable wrench, two small bottles of hand sanitizer (alcohol base - doubles as fire starter) Lypsol lip balm (doubles as fire starter)
a plate, a S.S. cup, a spoon, 2 rolls of toilet paper, 5 small ziplock bags, 2 large garbage bags, a rain suit, and a hatchet. Also a compass, GP, spare batteries. Pencil and waterproof notebook. 8x25 binoculars. This fits in a 10x16x 26 backpack and weights about 25 lb. a fuel tab stove and fuel tabs (fuel tabs double as fire starter as well).
a toque, wool gloves, and a chemical hand warmer. small first aid kit. 2 litres of water, small pack of wet wipes.

I have a 10"x10" x 26" tool box that i toss in my truck for hunting. it contains a single burner peak naptha stove (in an aluminum case that doubles as 2 pots) , a funnel, 1 litre naptha, a couple of bic lighters, a couple of ration packs. A folding saw, hatchet, 3" blade knife, a diamond sharpening "stone", a 6 sheave rope hoist with 100 feet of rope on it, a short nylon rope, toque, wool gloves, chemical hand warmer, paper matches in a ziplock bag, waterproof matches. 7x50 binoculars, a roll of paper towel, a liter of windex, hand sanitizer. and a Stainless steel cup. and two rolls of toilet paper in ziplock bags. Lypsol lip balm (doubles as fire starter)
50 - .22 rimfire cartriges, 20 - 30-06 and a box of 12 gauge slugs. Also a custom made hook that will hook on the pelvic bone of a deer so I can left it with the hoist.

Dental floss is strong enough to use to lash together a lean to shelter. The garbage bags can double as a ground sheet or rain poncho.
I have also broken down MRPs and have at least two meals in the backpack and the toolbox.
Both kits have 2 oz of instant coffee, 6 teabags, (not Earl Grey - Blue Ribbon Orange Pekoe, real tea) and about 6 oz of sugar,

I carry a 8 litre jug of water in my vehicle I can (and have) spent several days very comfortably. if I toss the 5* sleeping bag and a tarp in the truck I can be really comfortable.

Here the chemical hand warmers are critical as in -30C one can not light a fire or hold a match with numb fingers.

The following gets taken sometimes as well
A cheap walmart hinged tub with a full sized axe, 20" swede saw. come along, insulated pants, and a parka, along with a two burner naptha camp stove and 4 litres of naptha. This also has a naptha catalytic heater in it and a 14x 16 canvas tarp. 100 metres of 3/16" cable and a 14"bolt cutter. ( the bolt cutter is there when I am back in the woods on a forestry road and on my way out discover the road closed with a padlocked gate. The gate had been installed during the time I was in the bush, no notice, no signs on the road. ) I have also used the cable to make cable chains to get a 4x4 up 6 miles of 7 to 12% grade when the vacumn shift front hubs failed to lock in.

DIRT Farmer
01-09-2013, 11:30 PM
Current 1st aid training is back to the use of tourniquets. Apply and keep pressure on for 50 minutes out of each hour, or 25 every half hour. The blood flow will prevent tissue loss. War in the sand has found the most effective way to save limbs.

That is the same way I was trained in the late 70s, they said the same way. Resulting muscle damage from the tourniquet generaly caused the limb loss. It seems that if you put three Drs in the same room you get a lot of different opions.
One of my supervising Drs has made several trips to the sand box.

Ozarklongshot
01-09-2013, 11:51 PM
Lots of good advice to be found. Can't add much but I didn't see this. I put clothing in food-saver bags and vaccum seal them. It really compresses them down so they take up little space. Same with ammo. MRE's with the heater. The heater is great under the poncho/tent to get some heat on your core without building a fire. I also have climbing gear in my truck and have found that the 6mm and 7mm Accessory cord is great for more things than one mind can think of. As much med gear as you know how to use and can carry. Everyone likes the medic.

chrisw
01-10-2013, 12:11 AM
I think your going to need a bigger vehicle

10x
01-10-2013, 12:28 AM
I forgot to mention a good led flashlight...
Maglites are wonderful til the bulb burns out - ever change a bulb in the dark?

cloakndagger
01-10-2013, 12:38 AM
Well guys thanks to everyone that chimed in, Ive finalized (for now) my car/emergency move supplies,
Car.
Machete.
Auto rescue kit(jumpers, flares etc)
Rescue tow rope.
Flare gun kit.
357 revolver&50rds ammo, vac packed.
.223 rifle& 100 rds ammo on bandoleer, vac packed.
Trauma aid unit (stomp medical pack)
2 gals water.
Volcano canteen/stove set.
Large oilcloth.
Large tarp.
1000ft paracord.
100ft climbing rope.
Toolbag (wrenches, hammer, etc)
E/pack.

E/pack.
Small first aid kit.
Combat lifesaver kit.
.380 auto compact pistol/50rds ammo.
Pen flaresx 10.
esbit stove&4 tabs.
2 bic lighters.
3full changes of clothes.
Bar, sealed, castile soap.
diamond stone, sm.
Straight razor.
Small scissors.
Shemagh (100%cotton cloth, for a whole lot more than wearing)
Sm tube vaseline.
2pks lucky strike, vac pac.
4hersheys bars, vac packed, double.
Vial, unbreakable, 8oz honey.
Stainless steel bowl.
Mug,copper.
Pilots survival knife.
Local gazeteer pages (can be supplimented on trips)
Compass and utc square.
Swiss cadet knife.
Shakelight.
Ferrosium firestarter.
Flask, 120 proof bourbon, uncut.
Unbreakable lg magnifyer lens.
Copies of important documents.
Extra set shoes (some ultra lightweights)
Toilet paper.
Duct tape

Hurricane vest (for work purposes, i only keep it in there during hurricane season)

Two way radio. (vhf/uhf bands also)
Spare two way radio.
4sets spare rechargeable batteries.
flashlight.
Penlight.
Spare batteries.
Shemagh (75 mph rain really hurts)
Heavy duty poncho.
Duct tape.
Cigars in waterproof tubes.
Personnel documents/credentials/letter of marque if you will from local eoc.

Tazman1602
01-10-2013, 12:49 AM
My brother in law and I have experimented with various forms of fire starting. The best thing we've found -- by accident, fits in an altoids can. Regular cotton balls sprayed with WD40. Keep those along with your flint or mag fire starter and you're in like Flynn. They have lasted six months now and still flame on. The cotton balls themselves soaked with WD40 will burn aproximately three to five minutes.

I'm surprised the thread went so far without mention of a compass until later on in the thread. I prefer GPS but GPS can fail or go dead. An old timey magnetic compass (QUALITY......) won't let you down. A topo map of your area is valuable also.

I carry a pack in the truck as in the winter up here if you break down and are not in cell range it can be a long cold walk.................

The last three things I'll mention are these: SOCKS SOCKS SOCKS. Cotton, wool, and poly cover the gamut.

Of course, if I had my way, a hummer with a Ma Duece on top..............................

garym1a2
01-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Never ask

smokeywolf
01-10-2013, 01:45 PM
Learned about keeping sanitary napkins in the first aid kit 35+ years ago from a buddy who taught primary response first aid at the Sheriff's Academy.

Bonz
01-10-2013, 01:50 PM
WristRocket Slingshot, trail mix, small solar panel

smokeywolf
01-10-2013, 03:11 PM
+1 on the Wristrockets; one for each member of the family. "The Goofy Wolf" has saddlebags and carries 4 liters of water, his own stainless cup, and a couple of days worth of freeze dried meat.
One other thing I pack in the med. bag are two manuals for treatment of injuries/trauma; one for humans and one for K-9s.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see SAM splints mentioned.

smokeywolf

chrisw
01-10-2013, 05:46 PM
someone who's a better typer than me should compile this and sticky it

scottiemom
01-10-2013, 09:49 PM
in addition to what everyone else said, I would include some needles,safety pins and some strong thread (quilters thread is good) and a good book or two.