PDA

View Full Version : A Lurker Posts - Slugging a Barrel for the first time

Jeff R
01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
Hi To All,
Long-time lurker here! I am new to the Boolit world. This forum is the greatest place to learn though. I have shot these swaged Hornady round balls out of my 1885 Guide Gun, over 10 gr. of Unique. They work great. I want to slug the barrel on this rifle. Everything I have watched or read says to use a pure lead slug, or fishing sinker. My question is, would the work-hardening of the swaging process make this ball too hard, and unsuitable to use for slugging the barrel?

Thanks,
JR

Gtek
01-06-2013, 08:11 PM
That alloy probably is a little tougher than straight PB which only makes things more difficult. Balls are harder to pull good measurements due to limited amount of (REAL) area to go off of, plus it may not push straight only complicating matters. Get a 15/32" drill bit and punch wood ahout 1/4" to 1/2". Pour pure or close and dig out when cooled. Roll between two hard plates down to .460". Light oil slug and bore and away you go. you will have plenty of area to get comfortable number. And do not use wood dowel to drive, you will regret it. Gtek

I'll Make Mine
01-06-2013, 09:15 PM
Oh, and if that's a muzzle loader, make sure you can get the breech plug out, or make some other provision for pulling the slug when you're done; with a cartridge rifle, you can just drive the slug on through, but with a muzzle loader, it'll be like the extra-crispy version of trying to pull a ball after forgetting the powder...

Edit: Woops, 1885 Guide Gun isn't a muzzle loader -- that's the magazine there next to the muzzle. Carry on...

Wolfer
01-06-2013, 11:08 PM
I always use round balls if I have them available. I also like an egg sinker if I have one. When I have nothing I just pour a pure boolit and cut it off a little longer than cal. Then I drill a small hole down the center so it can have some relief. If I think it's too small I put it in a vise and bump it up a little. You can use a hardwood dowel if you have the relief hole. If not do NOT use a wooden rod.

I once tried to drive a 311041 thru a 30-30 barrel with a wooden dowel rod. Made it about 8" down and stuck. Got steel rod and couldn't drive it either way. I marked the spot and held a propane torch to it until it pushed right out. No damage done but I was pretty nervous!

MtGun44
01-07-2013, 03:11 AM
Pure lead doesn't work harden very much, and alloys that we use work soften.

Short answer - it will be perfect. DO NOT use a wooden dowel!

Bill

sthwestvictoria
01-07-2013, 04:11 AM
This is a great tutorial about slugging bores with a very useful diagram about groove, bore and clear photographs:
http://7.62x54r.net/...D/MosinSlug.htm

41 mag fan
01-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Another thing that works good, is the Buffalo hunter boolits for muzzleloaders.
I used one on my 45-70 to slug it the other day..pretty much pure lead and slugged out easliy enough

mdi
01-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I've been using this method to get slugs;
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?176978-Slugging-a-barrel-interesting-method