PDA

View Full Version : Peters brand 38 sp cases

rb dave
01-06-2013, 06:08 PM
Found after cleaning that 2 particular brass cases did not shine up in . Went to decap and prime. First one the primer fell back out. Tried again and fell out again. Seems small primers are too small. Btw second one still has full wadcutter seated flush with primer struck.does anyone know how old these are?

Cherokee
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
You may have some with the large pistol primer. They are old (pre 1956 for sure) but I don't know how old. I have a few of those old cases in my collection of odd brass.

Ben
01-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Yep, you don't see them very often, but occasionally one will turn up that takes a large pistol primer.

cylinderman
01-06-2013, 10:51 PM
Yep large pistol primer, and they are old. I don't have any 38spl but I still have a fair amount of 357 mag large primer brass and its still going strong.

jdgabbard
01-07-2013, 09:11 PM
I used to have a fair amount of them. Dunno where they went over the years. Most had a almost tinned look to the brass. It was strange. But all were SP primer pockets, and all went bang without any problems. Most had to be trimmed a bit to get down within spec...

williamwaco
01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Peters is a Remington brand. Sometimes sold as "Remington-Peters"

I don't know about the primers. I have been buying .38s since the late '40s and I have never seen one.

felix
01-07-2013, 09:29 PM
Tin look implies too much zinc in the brass, i.e., not 70-30 copper-zinc, but more like 60-40 or so. Washing them in vinegar, citric acid, et.al., will take out the zinc over time, leaving the copper. Peters was bought by Remington back in the 40s, and R-P became the resulting company name until changed again to straight-up Remington. My dad worked for Peters as the Manager of ammo sales east of the Mississippi. He lost his job when the merger occurred because he did not own any stock in either company. He did own stock in Olin, however, at the time which prolly did him no favors with his job. Also happened to the manager of the Cincinnati Redlegs, remember Pete Rose? He betted on a playoff game against the team he managed!!! ... felix

beagle
01-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Got a few Peters .38 Special cases still hanging around too. Mine are standard primers and still load well.

I've always sworn by Peters ammunition and I bemoaned the day when they stopped selling Peter High Velocity 12 gauge shells.

Supposedly there was an agreement with Remington that some Peters ammunition would be produced every year for so many years after the merger but I expect that has long since passed.

The last Peters ammunition I saw was .22 LR. IN fact, I think I still have a brick./beagle

Doc65
01-07-2013, 10:48 PM
I used to love the Peters Blue Magic shotgun shells, the reloaded better than anything else at the time, including the Winchester AA's

tenx
01-13-2013, 11:30 AM
i'll second the peters blue magic shells. they were great empties to reload, i still have a couple hundred of them.

Beau Cassidy
01-13-2013, 07:56 PM
Those blue magic hulls are indestructible. I still have several loaded.