PDA

View Full Version : Paper Cartridge versus Muzzeload

GARD72977
01-06-2013, 08:30 AM
I have become more interested in Muzzleloading recently and my first will be the little 32 that I have been asking about. While looking for one of these I keep finding guns like the Sharps 59 paper cartridge. I like the style and look of the guns. Just wonder how they shoot and what problems they come with.

johnson1942
01-06-2013, 11:52 AM
down the road from me a man has a gun like that. when i was over their one day he shot it to show how it worked. it hit pocked gopher mounds near 300 yards away, just keep it real clean and it will last. another friend had one but he changed it into a cartridge gun. if it is in good shape and the money is right you could have a lot of fun.

curator
01-06-2013, 12:48 PM
The "Paper-cutter" Sharps was an early breech loader that took a paper cartridge ignited by an external percussion cap. There were several other designs similar to this used during the War Between the States. They were quickly abandoned when advances in metallurgy made inexpensive brass cartridge cases available. While the '59 & '63 Sharps are fun guns to shoot, (I have one which I do shoot), they are way more complicated, less accurate, and require specialized care/cleaning compared to a muzzle loading musket or rifle. I love my Sharps for authenticity but it is much easier to shoot my .52 caliber Hawken accurately, although at a somewhat slower rate.

gnoahhh
01-06-2013, 01:53 PM
I'll agree on the fun aspect of the '59 and '63 Sharps, but the OP is comparing apples to kumquats. Also, if hunting is the intended end use, a Sharps is not allowable for use in muzzle loading season (at least not here).

GARD72977
01-06-2013, 09:39 PM
I'll agree on the fun aspect of the '59 and '63 Sharps, but the OP is comparing apples to kumquats. Also, if hunting is the intended end use, a Sharps is not allowable for use in muzzle loading season (at least not here).

Thanks for responses. Im not meaning to compare it to a ML to choose one or the other. Just wanted to get a idea of how they performed. I was really concerned that the paper cartrdge may be a PIA. I can understand how it was obeselote almost as soon as it came out. Im in MS and we have a" pimitave weapon season". We can hunt with a 45-70 encore during that season. I will keep a eye out for one.

nhrifle
01-06-2013, 10:04 PM
I have a replica '59 paper cartridge Sharps, made by IAB. You can either breech seat a boolit and fill the chamber with powder, or roll paper cartridges. I have done both and they work equally well. The rifle is plenty accurate and hits like a freight train. Lots and lots of fun to shoot, just remember to blow off the breech block after loading the chamber. There will be powder left there, and the percussion cap will set that off right next to your eyes!

DIRT Farmer
01-06-2013, 10:40 PM
My Pedersoli seems to shoot better with the 54 slug lightly seated and a mesured charge of loose black. The paper cartridge meets the length requirement for a cartridge gun wich can be used in Indiana during the regular firearms season or the late doe season.
I did not want to take a doe from our farms due to the low population, so I took my rifle to a neighbors place where he told me he had a deer problem. I still did not see any.