PDA

View Full Version : Factory lead bullets using black powder. Yes total newBe

Dadswickedammo
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
Hey fellas you guys a a wealth of really good info.
I got the converson cylinder for my 1858 rem and cant wait for the molds and cast and all that I got hold of some lubed boolits will they be ok with smokeless and black powder sounds like i should remove and relube for B/P am I correct.

Wolfer
01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
If its the crayola type lube your probably correct. If its SPG it'll work great. If in doubt load a few and shoot em. If you blow your breath down the hot barrel every few shots it'll keep your fouling soft enough for the next round to push it out. When you see pictures of old timers blowing the smoke out of their barrels they were actually softening their fouling.
While I've shot a ton of lead out of a 58 rem I've never had a conversion cylinder so not completely talking from expierence here.

prs
01-06-2013, 05:00 PM
The ideal would be to have soft BP lube and boolits intended for use with BP out of softer alloy. But ideal is not necessary for fun shoot'n. You can also slather a little BP lube over the cylinder ends like some do with cap 'n ball.

prs

Wolfer
01-06-2013, 05:26 PM
The ideal would be to have soft BP lube and boolits intended for use with BP out of softer alloy. But ideal is not necessary for fun shoot'n. You can also slather a little BP lube over the cylinder ends like some do with cap 'n ball.

prs

I personally prefer Crisco over everything else I've tried. Yeah it's messy but hot water cleans it up good.

Ps. I believe pigeon roost slim has considerable experience with black powder!

prs
01-06-2013, 09:48 PM
There are several Darksiders in this here neighborhood.

Wolfer, one neat way to carry and apply Crisco is to pack a marinade syringe about half full, no needle, just squirt a little out the end.

prs

Wolfer
01-06-2013, 10:16 PM
[QUOTE=prs;1992902]There are several Darksiders in this here neighborhood.

Wolfer, one neat way to carry and apply Crisco is to pack a marinade syringe about half full, no needle, just squirt a little out the end.
Prs ( quote )

Ha! I'm a farm boy, used a plastic syringe for vaccinating cattle, minus the needle of course. I still manage to get it all over me though.

MT Chambers
01-06-2013, 10:54 PM
Get a mold with lotsa lube capacity, then use a proper BP lube or make your own from Beeswax, Lanolin, and crisco, or buy some SPG. I wouldn't buy a mold with small grooves for BP!!!

prs
01-07-2013, 01:09 PM
Now you're talk'n! Those horse wormer cartridges are great and have caps on them too.

prs

prs
01-07-2013, 01:10 PM
Get a mold with lotsa lube capacity, then use a proper BP lube or make your own from Beeswax, Lanolin, and crisco, or buy some SPG. I wouldn't buy a mold with small grooves for BP!!!

Like a PRS boolit from Big Lube?

prs