PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Ingot mold releasing

Rich22
01-05-2013, 08:05 PM
So I fired up a pot today for the first time. Dropped some ingots , I used the stainless steel condiment cups from Wally World. Issue is over half of them will not release the lead. I am a total newb at this so I have no clue what I could have done wrong. Preheated the cups etc, the ones that came out looked great. What do I need to do to these things?

Thanks

tward
01-05-2013, 08:22 PM
Turn them upside down on metal tray heat the bottom til they release! Tim

Le Loup Solitaire
01-05-2013, 11:49 PM
Lead does not stick to stainless steel, aluminum, or cast iron. Turning over anything made from any one of those three metals; the ingot should fall out. It may require a light tap on the bottom of the vessel, but that's all. The only thing that I can think of that would prevent that might be some kind of crud that was in the ingot form. Being sure that the ingot form is clean and free of any such "glop" beforehand is a way to prevent any kind of sticking...a wipe with a solvent would do it. LLS

375RUGER
01-06-2013, 12:35 AM
what shape are the cups?

Giggidy
01-06-2013, 12:57 AM
I ran into that when I made some ingots in a wally world muffin tin too...had to beat the snot out a couple of the cups to get them to release. I'm going to try swabbing them with alcohol before pouring the next time and see if that helps.

Mal Paso
01-06-2013, 01:04 AM
I ran into that when I made some ingots in a wally world muffin tin too...had to beat the snot out a couple of the cups to get them to release. I'm going to try swabbing them with alcohol before pouring the next time and see if that helps.

If it's the steel muffin tin from Wally World it's Tin Plated and lead solders to it. Been there! Tossed em!

SlowSmokeN
01-06-2013, 02:07 AM
I had to use a little propane torch to heat them up and they fell right out. Threw those muffin tins in the trash.

billyb
01-06-2013, 03:21 AM
Spray the ingot molds with mold release, spray on graphite,no more problem. I spray all of my ingot molds with graphite and do not have any sticking. Bill

milrifle
01-06-2013, 09:41 AM
I fill mine 2/3 full. After they harden, I turn them over. They seldom just fall out, but picking them up with a gloved hand and tapping them on a hard surface (Usually a concrete floor), they come loose pretty easily.

Jeffrey
01-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Second Mal Paso's comment. That's not stainless steel, at least not from Wally, it's tin plated steel. Get the black "non stick" pan. Been there, done that too. J

Charlie Two Tracks
01-06-2013, 10:07 AM
I just got a couple of new Wally World pans from a sale........ I now have 12 cups of lead welded to the tins. It takes a pair of pliers and ripping the steel off to get them out. If, (and I'm not going to do it) I was going to get some more from WW, I would use the mold release on them first. Lesson learned here. My old ones work just fine.

Sasquatch-1
01-06-2013, 10:26 AM
I use the stainless steel condiment cups fro Sam's club. I am sure they are the exact same thing. I do have the occaisional ingot want to stick but I find if I just flip over and let it drop on the rim it usually drops without a problem. If you are filling to the brim this won't work. Leave a little space at the top.

Also, there is a member here who mounted his condement cup to a steel strap and said it worked well for him. Try a search and see if you can find the thread. He had some pictures attached.

Rich22
01-06-2013, 12:40 PM
I should have mentioned in my original post, I have whacked the daylights out of these things. Part came out no problem but about half are just flat out stuck, I may have filled them too full, will try to fill them less and see what happens
I fill mine 2/3 full. After they harden, I turn them over. They seldom just fall out, but picking them up with a gloved hand and tapping them on a hard surface (Usually a concrete floor), they come loose pretty easily.