PDA

View Full Version : cut down 1863 Springfield

Nobade
01-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I have been playing with the idea of shortening my Miroku 1863. Somebody here posted a picture of a very nice looking Springfield carbine not too long ago, but I can't seem to find the picture. If you are reading this could you re-post or send it to me?

Also, were there any short Springfields built for real? I can't recall ever seeing any, but that doesn't mean there weren't any. If anybody has any links or books to look at could you share?

Thanks!

fouronesix
01-05-2013, 02:52 PM
I guess technically the Remington contract M1863 short rifled musket (Zouave) is a model 1863 so maybe this is the thread with some shorter cut downs pictured?? http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?173810-My-Zouave

bubba.50
01-05-2013, 03:10 PM
don't know if there was any done back in the day but navy arms used to sell a buffalo hunter(i think is what they called it) that was basically a cut down remington or zouave. luck & have a good'en, bubba.

BruceB
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
Navy Arms/Zoli marketed three rifles based on the Zouave. The first, of course, is the Zouave itself, with 33" barrel and bayonet lug.

Then, there was the "Buffalo Hunter" with 26" barrel, retained by a wedge, in a half-stock a` la Hawken/ plains rifle..... still .58 caliber.

The third design was a true carbine version of the Zouave, with barrel band(s?) and a SHORT barrel...maybe 20-24".

We owned the first two, and looked at the carbine model.... I figured it would be a wee bit too energetic for fun shooting.

Shooter
01-05-2013, 05:20 PM
I bet there 100's cut back by indians and whites after the civil war.

johnson1942
01-05-2013, 05:53 PM
norbade, years ago i cut down a 34 inch .45 barrel to 27 inches. loades with a starter, has taken 6 deer since i cut it back. shoots as good as it did with the 34 inch barrels. if it fits your needs cut it off.

59sharps
01-06-2013, 07:27 PM
I have been playing with the idea of shortening my Miroku 1863. Somebody here posted a picture of a very nice looking Springfield carbine not too long ago, but I can't seem to find the picture. If you are reading this could you re-post or send it to me?

Also, were there any short Springfields built for real? I can't recall ever seeing any, but that doesn't mean there weren't any. If anybody has any links or books to look at could you share?

Thanks!

go to the North south skirmish assoc sight. John Hollandd or any of the othe SAC officers can help you

fouronesix
01-06-2013, 08:47 PM
After looking at several 63s of various types (US Springfield and Remington Zouave contract and repro) I don't think it'd be too hard to do given your shop equipment. Just figure on the length you want and start cutting. Shorten the stock and re-contour for the barrel bands and inlet the nose cap in the new position. Inlet and reset the band springs. Sweat the front sight on.

As to the US M63 40" bbl rifled muskets coming in shorter lengths??? Or as some like to say, with a wink, the "Artillery Model". The only known short versions were probably converted after the war. I wouldn't doubt Bannerman did some, some may have been used by the military academies and by GAR units. Same would hold true for the Rem contract M63 33" bbl short rifled muskets (Zouave) being cut down to a shorter length than the original 33" bbl.

Hellgate
01-07-2013, 12:00 AM
There's also the Enfield Musketoon with (I think) a 24" barrel. Great brush gun (.58cal) and easy to handle around and inside vehicles. Love mine, got a cow elk with it using a minie over 90grs FFg.

fouronesix
01-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Here's the originals from the other thread. Don't know about the specs of the various repros.

M42--------------------42" barrel
M63--------------------40" barrel
M41--------------------33" barrel
M63 (Rem contract)---33" barrel
P53 Enfield carbine----24" barrel

Nobade
01-07-2013, 09:38 AM
go to the North south skirmish assoc sight. John Hollandd or any of the othe SAC officers can help you

Thanks - I got a tip to talk with him from another member here and he sent me the spec sheet for the short '63. Evidently there weren't any in use during the war but the arsenal converted large numbers of them afterward. So they are grandfathered in for use in the N-SSA even though they never really existed until later. The barrel on mine is pretty sorry, the rifling cutter they used plowed up huge burrs on the lands and the crown is very crooked. It shoots well with balls but is useless with minie' bullets so in addition to making it easier to handle I am hoping cutting it back with a fresh crown will make it work. If not, Bob Hoyt can reline it some day. Another project in the works.....